+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

760 'losing' exchange settings/connection?

Hi,

I've had my 760 for three weeks and twice it's lost the connection settings for exchange. The data is there (re-sync takes only seconds) but I've had to reenter all of the connection settings twice now.

Any ideas or others with the same conditions

Details:

Samsung SCH-i760
    SPB Pocket Plus (latest version)
    kevtris 2
    and S2U2 (slide to unlock)
    no other installed apps.

Thanks,

Alex

Try doing a hard reset and start over. Sometimes it takes reseting the phone completely one time in the beginning for the phone to work correctly.

This has happend to my phone on one occasion and a co-worker several times.

I love the un-answer about the hard reset
    the end is important in all things

It's not an un-answer, just one that's onerous. But it happens to be a common problem solver because WM5/6 can have strange things occur that a complete restore from ROM fixes.

Are you syncing directly in addition to the Exchange server? And are your connections vanishing in a way that might be related to syncing to the PC?

no pc syncing for me, my settings vanished again last night, only reason I noticed is I saw a new email on my PC that was not on my phone.

Something's distinctly not right. I'd check with your IT department to see if they aren't doing something like deleting the partnership on you for some reason. Maybe they're seeing the connections, not recognizing what they are, and deleting them. Or they need to know you're going to be connecting your phone.

If they aren't, then I'd do the hard reset and reconfigure it. If it still looses the settings, I'd return it as a bad unit.

nope, my IT department has nothing to do with it.

I never had this problem on my i730 with wither OS and no one has this issue on any treo of any flavor.

Only those of us on i760's have this issue

Also no one with a Tilt or a Mogul has this issue as well.

If all of you have the same issue, then I'd strongly suggest getting IT involved. One of you is a wonky phone. Two of you is an very odd coincidence. More than that sounds like something distinctly happening on the server side or a common misconfiguration.

They may be pushing a policy out that the phone doesn't like. Setting AS to verbose logging might also be a good idea.

1st of all, the other person in this thread is not someone at my company (so this is not exclusive to my organization)

also I have full control of the Exchange ORG and have inTrust ( a quest product) setup for auditing, this is not something on the server side of things. InTrust would tell me of someone chaged something. I know that the internal IT guys are not changing anything.

I hard reset my phone and I am sure that in a week or so the same thing will happen.

Only time will tell.

Heh, bud, just because two people in different organizations have the same issues in no way eliminates server side as a possibility. All it takes is for the admins to have both read the same wrong setup guide, and BOOM, identical problem. With something as complex and onerous as configuring a corporate exchange environment, EVERYONE looks to books and online guides to get them up and running, and none of those are 100% correct for all circumstances. You yourself admit you have a third party product installed, and probably more than one - can you with 100% certainty say that one of them isn't causing the issues? If you think you can, you're wrong, unless you coded those apps yourself.

FWIW, we have a fairly large exchange environment (10k users, 2003 SP2 with 2007 in pilot, 3-node back-end, 2-node front end) and we have a hundred PDAs and phones of two dozen different models on various cell providers syncing without issue. Four of those (including mine) are i760s.
    Last edited by illrigger; 11-25-2007 at 10:37 PM.

For those of you who are experiencing this problem, what version of Exchange server are you running? It might be worth trying to see what the common thread is here.

I've been using my i760 for nearly 2 months now without experiencing the problem being described in this thread. My firm uses Exchange server 2003 as part of Windows Small Business server 2003 R2.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by illrigger View Post
    Heh, bud, just because two people in different organizations have the same issues in no way eliminates server side as a possibility. All it takes is for the admins to have both read the same wrong setup guide, and BOOM, identical problem. With something as complex and onerous as configuring a corporate exchange environment, EVERYONE looks to books and online guides to get them up and running, and none of those are 100% correct for all circumstances. You yourself admit you have a third party product installed, and probably more than one - can you with 100% certainty say that one of them isn't causing the issues? If you think you can, you're wrong, unless you coded those apps yourself.

FWIW, we have a fairly large exchange environment (10k users, 2003 SP2 with 2007 in pilot, 3-node back-end, 2-node front end) and we have a hundred PDAs and phones of two dozen different models on various cell providers syncing without issue. Four of those (including mine) are i760s.
    InTrust meerly looks at what is done to audited objects, it is not some 3rd party plugin to exchange or WM6

FWIW - I design environements much larger than yours and would consider an environemnt such as yours to be very common, most of our customers are piloting 2007.

anyways I am sure that my Exchange org is not the cause of the settings dissappearing.

One other commonality with me and the other party at our office is we are both running PDAnet, I am no longer running it we will see if that fixes it.

If you think the problem might be PDANet, be sure you're running version 1.80, which is the first version officially compatible with WM6 devices.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I am not running PDAnet anymore, thanks to the hard reset

TK'ed
    PIZZA

so I have not had any issues after the removal of Pdanet, my coworker continued to have issues afte a hard reset and reinstall of pdanet.

Our conclusion- pdanet caused the issue.

She has now uninstalled it as well.

TK

Just wanted to add my .02 in here. I am an IT administrator and so far we have had 4 of these phones out of close to 100 lose thier activesync settings. The scarry part of that is we have only had these deployed for 2 weeks at most. One of them has done this twice. We are now starting to do full resets on these units but I have a feeling that will not resolve the issue. Also, on two of the units I have looked at no extra software had been installed. It was even on the default theme. Is anyone else having these issues?

so as it turns out, we continue to lose settings on occasion even without the pdanet product being removed.

Our company has 2 of these devices so far (myself and my boss). His phone lost the Exchange Server settings, twice. I re-supplied the information and it re-established the partnership within a few seconds. It happened to him about a week later - same issue. This time I did a hard reset and we'll see where that takes us. My phone for the record doesn't exhibit this issue, and has sync'ed against 2 DIFFERENT Exchange Servers without issue. Also, he has NO added software and is running it right out of the box. I on the other hand have a few addon products like eWallet, SBP Phone Suite, Pocket Informant, Pocket Office upgrade, Live Search, and WLM Beta.

I've had my i760 since October and had this happen to me once a couple weeks ago. I've never run pdanet. I work for a very large company that's running Exchange Server 2007. They enforce IT policies like mandatory password and remote wipe. My guess is this issue isn't 'something wrong with my phone" but does have something to do with server-side policy enforcement. My guess is if the push doesn't like something (who knows what) it clears the Exchange settings on the phone. Just a guess.

Got a psudeo-answer from Verizon on the activesync settings issue. Apparently the "wireless sync" app that comes witht he phones conflicts with activesync. You can keep it from being an issue by moving it to another location. You could delete it but that is probbibly under their "not advisable" column.

I have deleted it from my phone and so far have not seen any adverse effects.

the location of wireless sync is "My Mobile Device\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
    Last edited by Froggmann; 02-08-2008 at 03:49 PM.