+ Reply to Thread

SCH-i760 VPN RDP Questions

Can anyone help me with this configuration?

I have a i760 on Verizon coming in Monday. Getting rid of a BB8830 due to the BIS propriatary needs. Sure wish RIM would offer a VPN / RDP solution other than BIS.

I need to have this function as my PC does, logging into my work network via VPN and then going RDP to various servers and desktops. The Servers are 2003 and desktops are XP Pro. (Vista....I don't need no stinking Vista!)

I have a PIX firewall (PPTP) and no problems loggin in from anywhere. I have seen the zip file posted on one of the threads here and it seems that it should work fine. But I would appreciate some input from one who has already been down this road.

It also seems that if I get it to work I am going to have an issue with the screen. Moving all over to access the icons and information makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better just getting something like a Lenovo X61s and seperate cell phone. It sure would be nice to get the issues converged into one solid platform.

I appreciate your time and information in responding!!!!
    Last edited by Contecsol; 11-25-2007 at 12:20 PM.

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I can PPTP into a Linux firewall, and use the RDP software. Other than the screen size, I haven't encountered any problems. It's not an ideal way to provide support, but it is A way to provide support when all you have is your phone.

-Michele

VPN RDP

I downloaded and installed the WM6RDP.CAB and can use PPTP VPN with the correct login credentals into my Windows 2003 RAS server and can then remote desktop to my servers or my XP desktops. I agree it ts a pain navigating (shrinking a 21" monitor to 3"), but it is better than nothing in an emergency.

Thanks to you both for the information. fitzged....did you get the "finster" version of the file or could you send me the WM6RDP.CAB file you used, if it's not a problem.
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!

Hi...
    I found the file and from the size it looks like the one that's posted here. Wish me luck.....

I got the finster version from someplace else here. You shouldn't have any problems.

Well....it seems I'm having a DA attack. I got the files unzipped and moved to the temp folder on the phone. It won't let me execute the _setup.xml file. Should I just rename it setup.xml or am I missing the entire installation process. Ooops!
    Thanks!!!

Don't unzip. Move the whole CAB over and run that.

Duh...of course....must be idiot day in Ohio!
    I got it to operate but now it keeps giving me a rejection asking to make sure the domain and password are correct and case sensitive. Of course the PC running XP Pro is connecting just fine. I wonder if it is a Verizon setting. Why do they make it so tough.........because they can!!!!!!
    Am I again missing the obvious? (It's becoming my matra!)
    Thanks to everyone for their help and support!

Are you using the keyboard, or the screen keyboard? I find I have that problem sometimes with the actual keyboard, but if I use the on-screen keyboard it works just fine.

I must be typing something wrong that I can be sure I get right on-screen.

-Michele

Michelle.....
    I tried again with the keyboard on screen as you suggested, but no go. I am in talks with Verizon and would bet that it is some type of limited scope on the IP or something simple I am missing on the PIX setup. Looking at the limited screen visability, I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to send this i760 back, get a regular phone and something like a Lenovo X61s and just let it go till the VZ folks get with it. They just announced that they will be allowing other devices on their network by the end of 2008......IF......IF....those devices meet their requirements. Think any of 'em will? I doubt it!!!!
    I will post the outcome when VZ gets back to me ...."hopefully tomorrow"
    Thanks to all!
    Scott

Hi...
    I finally got to a tech at VZ that knew something about VPN /RDP. Verizon supports a level 5 VPN with no restrictions so once I make some changes with the PIX it should work. RDP will not get the whole screen in view, so this will be a "only in case of emergency" solution.
    Thanks to all for your kind help!
    Scott

You know you have to install rd to the main memory not the sd. It screws up the keyboard if you do.

Wow...
    I removed the RD and reinstalled and set the screen to 16 bit and Viola I'm in !!!!
    From one eldersoul to another, Thanks for the thought!!!!!
    Scott

Glad it's working. So, what was the final fix for the VPN login issue?

-Michele

Hi Michele...
    I will hopefully know the answer to that question this Saturday. I have my Cisco command line Guru meeting me to check the permissions and configuration on my PIX. The RDP is working flawlessly even though the screen takes alot of moving to use. It's better than not being able to access it. I would bet it's just a configuration issue on the PIX.
    I will post the results for you and others. I hope it will help and give the other users some payback for helping me!
    Ho Ho Ho !
    Scott