+ Reply to Thread

Tried everything, can't get Win Mob Dev Cntr to work.

I have read the FAQ, downloaded WMDC61, done all the troubleshooting, uninstalled, installed again.

At wits end. Center opens, just gives me Mobile Device Settings.

Reset the device? Reset the computer? Tried multiple USB ports?

Does Vista make a noise when you connect? Did you wait a little while after connecting?

Did you do a search here? Really, there are a bunch of threads about this but I will try to help out.

I read the FAQs and threads here, then I followed the Microsoft troubleshooting tips as well.

I do get that beeping sound and an unidentified device message. It searching preconfigd drivers
    ready to use

Ok. You get the sound but then an error.

The last time I ran in to this problem I ended up hard resetting my phone.

Have you tried another PC?

Am I Converged???
    Hey Marauder.45

Dude, you said the answer... "unidentified device". what that translate to your installation went bad somewhere during install. Not only should you uninstall WMDC but view all hidden devices and remove the "unknown devices". Then reinstall wmdc. Should work after that.

To view the unknown devices, follow this link Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer. You must run the command prompt in admin mode (if using vista)

One

Vista will display "unidentified device" while it's trying to figure out what the connected device is, so timing here is important. If it never lists your phone by name appropriately (I'd list the text, but I don't have an i760), then the driver installation went bad.

Personally, I'd hit Settings - USB to PC and uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" before trying anything else. There have been reports that this prevents AS/WMDC connections by others.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post

Personally, I'd hit Settings - USB to PC and uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" before trying anything else. There have been reports that this prevents AS/WMDC connections by others.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! Winner.

THANK YOU PERFALBION!!!!!
    You win my gratitude for a couple minutes. Until the next thing frustrates me.

1 thing down. Many more to go I'm sure. Thanks to all who responded, see you again soon I'm sure.

Man you guys got a ton of smilies on this board.:mikey:

Mine works just fine with that enabled. Weird.

Glad you got it working.

Wow.

First Sync took 25 minutes. Is that normal?

Depends on how much you have to sync.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    Vista will display "unidentified device" while it's trying to figure out what the connected device is, so timing here is important. If it never lists your phone by name appropriately (I'd list the text, but I don't have an i760), then the driver installation went bad.

Man, this thread saved me!!!! I was going nuts over this same error and unchecking the "Enable advanced network functionality" fixedmy problem to!!!!
    Treo 650 > Q > SCH-i760 > iPhone

Yeah, but disabling RNDIS (advanced network functionality) will relly slow the sync down a LOT.