+ Reply to Thread

What are the generally accepted first downloads?

So, I've gotten my first help here and managed to get Mobile Center to work, and finally synced. So I'm done with the Jumpstart guide. So what seems to be the next few things? No power business stuff needed just yet. Just convenience, appearance and performance etc.

Now that I have synced, am I safe to download apps? Or is there something else I should do? I searched "Back Up", "Back-Up", and "Backup". It gave about every thread in the forum.

I'd backup.

Seriously, you want a good backup app. I like SPB Backup myself, but then I own nearly everything they write for WM.

My next recommendation would be SPB Pocket Plus. After that, it's really up to you based on what you're looking for.

Ah, so back up is an external program. Great.

Off to Handango I go.:mikey:

I dont know, maybe Im completelly off the mark here, but what is so great about these programs when you can just copy the pim.vol to a storage card? that is how I have backed up my info since day 1.

Maybe some one can clarify what the benefit of 3rd party is?

Quote Originally Posted by pillagingjack View Post
    I dont know, maybe Im completelly off the mark here, but what is so great about these programs when you can just copy the pim.vol to a storage card? that is how I have backed up my info since day 1.

Maybe some one can clarify what the benefit of 3rd party is?
    Neither Activesync nor your PIM backup take a complete image of the phone. If you have to do a hard reset, any customizations to your registry, your 3rd party apps, your configs for them and any data in main memory are gone.

After a hard reset, users of Spb Backup or Sprite Backup simply run the backup executable and the phone is back 100% to where it was before the failure...no need to restore any programs, re-input any configurations or recover any data.

I schedule a full image backup every night on my storage card. My storage card is then automatically synced to my PC using Easy Sync. ...and my PC is backed up nightly. I have no chance of losing more than a few hours of data. If my phone is stolen or lost, the replacement will be imaged exactly as the original.

I have had to hard reset my i760 once due to a registry hack that I screwed up. Since I had taken an Spb Backup immediately before messing with the registry. I was back to exactly were I left off 5 minutes after a hard reset.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

I like the Spb Backup and Sprite because they allow me to back-up everything on my i760, including my favorites, my documents, my system settings, my program settings, etc. Copying pim.vol only backups up your PIM data (i.e., contacts, calendar & tasks). Also, I typically will run Spb Backup before I install any new software so if the new software causes a problem, I can quickly revert my system back to to where it was immediately before I installed the trouble-causing program. This can be a real time-saver when you install a lot of software as I do.

EDIT: Looks like jfourman and I were writing similar posts simultaneously.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

cool cool guys..thanks for that!!! looks like I may have to get spb now...and all this time Ive just been doing PIM back ups...uugghhh....

So, I downloaded the trials for Sprite back-up, and SPB Pocketplus. During the download, SPB offered their Weather at the same time, so I took that too. That's it for today.

I found the must have programs thread while searching for something else. It was buried on like page 8 of the forum.

Not sure what's next.

Hello? Is this thing on?
    Software I would purchase first :-

spb backup
    spb pocket plus
    spb phone suite
    Weatherpanel (spb weather doesn't cover enough)

That alone will keep you going for a week or so because there is so much to play around with and design new looks on your unit.

Forgot, got Phonealarm too.

You might try this thread:
    Must have programs for your i760

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Okay ... I've never been accused of being Wise beyond my years or anything ... but I'm gonna offer this advice anyway:

1. Backup before adding any software ... this way if you decide you hate what you loaded or it conflicts with your phone then you can simply go back to where you where ...

2. Don't go crazzy with new apps ... intall one ... try the phone for a couple days ... if all is stable and you like it ... try another one (doing a backup prior to) ... so many times I've loaded a "couple" programs that I thought I wanted ... then found out that one of them was reeking havok with my phone ... and had a devil of a time figuring out which one was causing issues ... do one at a time ... test ... and move on ... if there's an issue ... you know what caused it ... sometimes it's just a matter of what order you load them in ... don't ask me why ... but some programs like to be loaded early ... some late ... I have exactly the same programs on my I760 I did on my I730 and xv6700 ... but on the I760 ... I couldn't get spb pocket plus to play nice until I loaded it last ... go figure ... with backups you can experiment with what you want ... what order you load them in .... until you find a very stable combo ... wm likes to become unstable with 3rd party apps .. but usually it's two not playing together ... or loaded in an order they didn't like

Anyway ... not being the Sage of WM ... I'll leave it at that ... not that I take my own advice ... even with the i760 .. I beat my head against the wall for a couple weeks ... till I went back to backing up ... loading one app at a time ... testing .. then loading another ... now I have a very stable phone that has great battery life ... and I can count on it ... just my 2 cents for what it's worth
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units