+ Reply to Thread

Where is Internet (Connection) Sharing?

My Verizon SCH-i760 doesn't appear to have Internet Connection Sharing installed. Is it located somewhere unusual?

More to the point, how do I use the phone as an EvDO modem? The MotoQ had a "Modem Link" application. It was crude, but it worked.

I am paying the extra $15 for "Broadband Connect" or Tethering, or whatever they call it today. Seems I should be able to use it somehow.

The phone currently appears as an NDIS device for ActiveSync use on the laptop. Does it need to switch modes to a USB Modem? How about Bluetooth PAN?

Verizon may have had Samsung remove it from the phone. VZW used to provide an application (VZW Connect?) for tethering. I believe you should be running that if you're complying with their plans.

To answer my own question: Settings -> System tab -> Data Connection.

Curiously, it only enables the DUN profile on Bluetooth, and not the PAN one that Microsoft has been promoting since they removed DUN from the AKU.

To use the BT DUN profile from WinXP, it required that I "Dial" #777 with the usual Verizon login and password, just as on the phone itself.
    Also, while BT sharing is enabled, the Samsung can not make any internal data connections, so all the apps are off-line. That's hardly ideal, but I guess nothing has changed in the three years since WM started doing this.

Still no visible way to do PAN sharing.
    Last edited by Ground Loop; 11-25-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Although I don't have an i760 yet, i've been playing with one at Circuit City off and on and I like it and am thinking of getting one. As to this internet connection sharing (ICS) business in WM6, there are apparently different implementations depending on carrier. There is an interesting thread about this on here: Qusers.com - Topic :: Tethering in WM6 in which the Moto Q9h on ATT hides the file IntshrUI.exe without bringing a shortcut out to the Start Menu. But apparently it still works on ATT. This file isn't in the Start Menu on the Verizon Q9m either so apparently VZW wants you to use the System > Data Connection (modem-PPP) on the Sammy i760 to keep it compatible with their billing and authentication setup. You might look for that hidden file though and see if it is present, and if so if it works to enable NDIS & BT PAN connections.

On the other hand, on Sprint's Moto Q9c, ICS is sitting right out there in the Start Menu in all it's glory, and true to form, connection appears to be plug-n-go via RNDIS or BT PAN.

The 'System' -> 'Data Connection' setup is not Internet Sharing. It's just for tethering and disables internal data calls when doing so.

The i760 does not come with the WM6 Internet Sharing app, and my attempts to install it from other devices hasn't worked.

Many others with other phones (non Verizon of course) have been able to use their phones as wifi 'access points' to get on the internet from their laptops over the phone WiFi & Broadband data connection. Seems very nice... of course, Father Verizon won't let us do anything nice.

--Chris

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    The 'System' -> 'Data Connection' setup is not Internet Sharing. It's just for tethering and disables internal data calls when doing so.

The i760 does not come with the WM6 Internet Sharing app, and my attempts to install it from other devices hasn't worked.

Many others with other phones (non Verizon of course) have been able to use their phones as wifi 'access points' to get on the internet from their laptops over the phone WiFi & Broadband data connection. Seems very nice... of course, Father Verizon won't let us do anything nice.

--Chris
    There is new Pocket PC Freeware version 0.6 today on the Freeware site that says it will let you use your Windows Mobile 6 device as WiFi router thus sharing internet connection. This may be what you want. Freeware for Pocket PC. Free Windows Mobile Pocket PC / PPC Downloads for WM5 or WM6 PocketPC.
    I have not tried it. Let us know if you use it and whether it works.

Well, being able to use WiFi on phone as Access Point to route EVDO to a laptop sure would beat BlueTooth. Really nice idea....now if only the i760 could be upgraded to Rev A to take better advantage of a connection like that but apparently the radio in this phone is not EVDO Rev A upgradable. Shucks.

Double shucks....googling around shows that the sucessor to the Qualcomm MSM6500 used in the i760, the MSM7500, is 1xEVDO Rev. A capable, among other cool things.....
    Last edited by dima; 11-27-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: correction

"Successor" is not quite accurate. The MSM6500 is a single-core ARM9 solution.

MSM7500 is dual-core (ARM9 + ARM11) with more I/O.

Again, I think that Rev0 vs RevA look different on paper, but perform much closer in practice. In the real world, network conjestion, available channels, CPU loading, and other network layers can contribute much more to slowdown and lag.

All these "Theoretical Max" numbers assume you have a clear view of many towers and sectors, no serious signal path problems, and that almost nobody else is trying to use the channels at the same time, and that the network has a perfect uplink. Hard to see it in practice.. requires a lab setup with an isolation chamber.

So are you guys saying there is no practical way to tether the i760?
    Regards,
    Matt

This is an OLD conversation, dating back to November. There are multiple ways to tether, including tethering over ICS/WiFi. Check out the stickies...