+ Reply to Thread

Shortcuts on Today screen - Possible without 3rd party app?

I have read the manual and searched the forums, and can't seem to find an answer to this question. The question is, is it possible to put shortcuts on the Today screen without the use of 3rd party applications, and if so, how? I know that I can create a shortcut using File Explorer. I can copy and paste that shortcut using the copy and paste commands under the "edit" menu. But I can't figure out where to paste the shortcut so that it appears on the Today screen.

Please help, if you can.

Thanks.

I don't think you can---you could create a shortcut and tie that to a button. (hard button or left softkey). But you'd have to have something like Pocket Plus to link a "program" to the today screen
    Jeremiah 29:11

Pretty Good Member
    I saw an i760 in a Verizon store that had a few program icons in a row accross the Today screen. I didn't think I had that option on my phone so I went to Settings, Today, Items and sure enough there was an extra Item that was available and checked that served this function--sorry, don't remember what it was called, but it may have been related to Wireless Sync since that was one of the icons (I have not installed Wireless Sync on my phone).

Of course, if you're interested, it's easy to add a shortcut (not only to a program but also to a website) to your Start Menu, but you probably already know about that.
    Last edited by robrecht; 11-26-2007 at 07:43 PM.

What started me thinking about this was that when I installed vtap, by default it put a shortcut on the Today screen. It was easy enough to remove, by just unchecking it in the Today screen items selection area. But the fact that it could make itself available there is intriguing, as is the fact that there may be other ROMS floating around out there.

There is no native launcher plugin on the i760. You will need to install a 3rd party app.

As of this time there is no other ROM around for the i760. Lots of them for HTC phones but nothing for us yet.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
    What started me thinking about this was that when I installed vtap, by default it put a shortcut on the Today screen. It was easy enough to remove, by just unchecking it in the Today screen items selection area. But the fact that it could make itself available there is intriguing, as is the fact that there may be other ROMS floating around out there.
    I think Wireless Sync, when installed, also installs an icon on the Today screen. In fact, I wonder if it installs the whole bar accross the Today screen, which also had other icons on it. One of the icons on the bar that I saw on an i760 in the store was definitely the big ugly Wireless Sync icon. I haven't installed Wireless Sync on my phone so that could explain why I did not have the item available in my Today settings. Notice that vTap also adds an extra item to your Today settings.