+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar

iGO BT Stoway keyboard for $29.99 on Amazon.com

The only constant is change.

I was about to order it yesterday, when I saw a review somewhere (pocketlint maybe?) that said it was not yet compatible with WM6. I think someone in the keyboard thread said they had gotten an earlier version to work. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm running WM6 on my PPC6700 - and the keyboard works great - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    I was about to order it yesterday, when I saw a review somewhere (pocketlint maybe?) that said it was not yet compatible with WM6. I think someone in the keyboard thread said they had gotten an earlier version to work. Does anyone know for sure?
    Mine looks identical, but it does have a different model number: XTBT01
    The Amazon one says: Item model number: XTBTUEI

Maybe someone can dig up the differences but I find it hard to believe that if my 3-year-old keyboard works so well on WM6 that some would not.

I downloaded a more recent driver, paired it up securely, and it works great and automatically re-pairs up again seamlessly. I even get a notification on the screen if my 3-year-old leaves the Caps-Lock key on, LOL.

The name of the zip file I downloaded was called "Think Outside PPC En.zip", which contained a CAB file of the same name. It seems to be the most recent driver (Version 4.52) for the Samsung i730 from April 18, 2007. I haven't noticed any incompatibility with the i760. You can download it from this page:

Mobility Electronics

Good luck!

ordered mine. thanks for the heads up!!

will let you know if it works with my i760 ( and my motion LS800)

peace

Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    What a steal
    Actually, it was. Always thought of getting one and now they owe me 1¢ after shipping. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    ...Maybe someone can dig up the differences but I find it hard to believe that if my 3-year-old keyboard works so well on WM6 that some would not....
    Good luck!
    Thanks. For $30, I would regret passing up.

I have a (pre-bluetooth) Stowaway keyboard that I used for my Ipaq 3670 and loved. It was pretty much what the Sierra version is now. It needed a flat surface but expanded to a larger size, 5th row of keys, and made for a great typing experience. I used it daily. I probably don't need one as badly now.

I was hoping to order a couple of these (one for my business partner and one for me) but haven't had the chance to do so. Just clicked on the link and it shows the price is back up to $59.99. I wonder whether the original price was an error that they caught. Man, am I bummed.

Jim, please let us know how the keyboard works with the i760 and whether it's worth the $59.99.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Still showing $29.99 for me. You got me scared that it might change, so I went ahead and ordered it just now. Pretty good deal especially with free shipping.

That's so weird - earlier today it was $90 from Amazon - now it's back to $30 again. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

hard core lurker

thank goodness for this forum...

...I grabbed one at $30 before they change it again!

Ruthe

In for one! At $30.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Still showing $29.99 for me. You got me scared that it might change, so I went ahead and ordered it just now. Pretty good deal especially with free shipping.
    Thanks for the heads up! I just checked about an hour ago and was able to snag two of them for $29.99 each.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Jim, please let us know how the keyboard works with the i760 and whether it's worth the $59.99.
    Jay,
    I'm not purchasing one. I already own a Think Outside Stowaway BT keyboard ( 5 row, with dedicated number keys) that I paid a lot more than $30 bucks for. I use it with my Samsung Q1ultra UMPC. I've never tried to pair it with my phone.

I just posted this because the deal was to good not to pass along to my buddies. Check amazon again, as shown above some folks have found that the price went up and then back down. Hope you score!
    Jim
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-30-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    The only constant is change.

Stowaway keyboard

Just received the keyboard from Amazon. First attempt at installation failed, so I tried the driver upload for the Samsung I730 and it works fine.

You will need to make the device discoverable by hitting the control and the two function keys on the stowaway keyboard at the same time for about 3 seconds until the green light above the t key starts blinking. I was not holding the keys down long enough, so it was not actually in discovery mode.

A question for other users. Do I have to manually set up keyboard discovery each time I use the keyboard or can you set this up so it recognizes it automatically? Second, when the stowaway keyboard is enabled, the screen keyboard is disabled. Is there a way to toggle back and forth without manually discovering the stowaway keyboard?
    Overall, the keyboard feels great. It's almost like having a laptop in your pocket. Oh, I'm sounding like such a geek. I don't care. It works.

Does the keyboard require the i730 software driver to work, or can you pair and use it without additional software?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Loop View Post
    Does the keyboard require the i730 software driver to work, or can you pair and use it without additional software?
    I tried to install twice with the standard drivers on the installation disk--this did not work so I downloaded the I730 files and it worked. So I think you will have to download this driver.

Good to know.

I installed the iGo/StowAway driver and tried to see if it would find other Bluetooth HID mice. No success with the ioGear BT mouse, which isn't surprising.

This mouse will pair with the phone, publish the HID service, but the i760 doesn't do anything with it (no mouse cursor). Will try the Microsoft BT Mouse next. Same result. The driver must be looking for the iGo mouse specifically, not just any HID Mouse. Imagine that.

I tried "Blue Mouse" from Teksoft - Future Teknology, and it actually works really well. Paired with my Microsoft mouse, and presents a nice cursor in every program. Makes IE somewhat easier to use, but doesn't give any "grab and pan" capabilities, so you're stuck with the two scrollbars. 15 Euro for registration is a bit steep, though.. more than some mice cost.
    Last edited by Ground Loop; 12-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    Jay,
    . . . . Check amazon again, as shown above some folks have found that the price went up and then back down. Hope you score!
    Jim
    Hey, Jim, you must have missed my post right above yours. I did check back at Amazon and di manage to score 2 of them. Thanks for giving me the heads up!

Hope you're well,
    -Jay

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisgood_nj1 View Post
    A question for other users. Do I have to manually set up keyboard discovery each time I use the keyboard or can you set this up so it recognizes it automatically?
    You need to set up a secure connection with the passkey--see the instruction manual for how to do this--then it will reconnect every time you open up the keyboard as long as you have BT on.