+ Reply to Thread

i760 Device Insurance

Greetings!

I just received my i760 and ordered verizon's insurance plan of 4.99/mo. I'm wondering if this is the best way to insure the i760. I do have home insurance, but would have to check if my pda is covered. With asurion, verizon's third-party insurance, it would cost more than $65 a year or $130/ 2yrs for the insurance. What kind of insurance do most of you have on your i760 or do you have one?

-al

I do the same thing. I don't look at the big picture of how much I'm spending per year for insurance, more of an "I only have to spend 5 bucks a month to insure this phone" type approach. Its a 500 some odd dollar phone, that if I break I get a new one for $50, and for that service I only have to pay 5 bucks a month...peace of mind is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by twnboarder View Post
    I do the same thing. I don't look at the big picture of how much I'm spending per year for insurance, more of an "I only have to spend 5 bucks a month to insure this phone" type approach. Its a 500 some odd dollar phone, that if I break I get a new one for $50, and for that service I only have to pay 5 bucks a month...peace of mind is worth it to me.
    I completely agree. Especially if something happens in the first six months, let's say. You've spent 30 bucks to replace a $500+ phone. I needed the insurance with my XV6700, and was glad I had it.

I started carrying insurance when I began using PDA phones. For me I found out it became a business tool, and I couldn't afford to be without one for too long. There is a warranty on the hardware for a time period that will get you a replacement phone if it goes out. With insurance you can still get a replacement after the warranty is out. Plus if you have the 5.99 insurance package it will cover lost/stolen phones as well. That's the package I have. A call to Assurion will usually get you a replacement within 24hrs.. I would check with your home owners to find out the conditions of their coverage.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks for the relplies folks!

-al

I was under the impression that warranty replacement phones are factory refurbs. Is there any truth to that?

Regarding home insurance, if your deductible is high enough, it would seem pointless to file a claim.

You'll typically get a factory refurb, unless they don't have any of those and have to supply a new one.

But I've used many factory refurbs without any issue.

And if you're using your homeowner's policy, talk to your agent about riders that will reduce or eliminate the deductible for your electronics. Some policies offer that.

I've got the $6/month plan. For the extra $1, you get the warranty extended, which means you don't have to shell out $50 if the phone stops working in month 13.

Just got off the phone w/Asurion. My 730's audio jack is shorting intermittently. They are out of 730s, so I'm getting a brand new 760. Sweet. FYI, I've been doing this for over two years now. I started with a 700 and got a brand new 730 when the 700 started acting up. Insurance is like a low cost upgrade program. Gotta love that.

I wish I had your patience...