+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Storage Card randomly renamed problem...

At random times I notice that shortcuts to apps stop working. When I poke around to find the problem it seems a folder has been created on my device called Storage Card (which was the name of my storage card) and now my Storage Card is renamed to Storage Card2. This obviously breaks all the shortcuts to apps, prevents my backup from running, etc.

I then have to soft reset the phone to be able to rename the folder, then soft reset again and my card then defaults back to Storage Card (without the 2) and everything is fixed.

It's happened maybe 4-5 times over the past month, it's not a major issue, but I'm wondering if perhaps I've got a problem with my phone. The only things in this Storage Card folder are the email attachments (I have it set to store on the card) and my Feeds folder which holds the Egrees data.

Anyone else seeing this weird issue?

Ryan

Are you sure the card is seated properly (i.e., inserted all the way and not coming loose)?

The problem is that the Storage Card is mounted as a subdirectory of the main memory. If you remove the Storage Card and a program needs to write to it, often it will just "create" the directory in the Storage Card directory, which will, of course, put it in main memory (like email attachments). Then, when you reinsert the card, its preferred name will be gone and it will go to "Storage Card2".

I had this happen on my Q, but only when I manually removed the card.

Had the same issue. I traced it back in my case to AvanatGo locking up the card during a long write operation (your RSS reader could be doing the same thing) and Pocket Outlook doing a sync. I have the attachments set up to a directory on the storage card, and if the card is in use and locked when an attachment is attempted to be saved, it seems that it "forgets" the storage card exists and creates a new Storage Card directory as onlydarksets reported.

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. I have the same problem along with others. It seems to happen to me after Spb Backup runs its scheduled overnight backup and then resets the phone.

I agree with onlydarksets that the phone is probably looking for the storage card, can't find it so it creates a new folder in main memory. When the actual storage card appears, it is assigned the name "storage card 2". I perform the same fix that you do. The problem I have is that my storage card sync software, Easy Sync, thinks that I have deleted all of the files on my storage card and proceeds to delete all of the synced files on my PC.

I thought the cause of this may be related to storing mail attachments on the storage card...so I changed the setting back to main memory. However, I have had the problem occur again since the change back.

I do believe the problem occurs during a soft reset. The trick is to find which program is trying to access the storage card before it is availabe to the OS and delay the start of that program.

Do you have MemMaid by any chance. I was fiddling around with the optimization tweaks in MemMaid and soon after, this problem started occurring. I backed off the tweaks; but it didn't help.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I think these people had the same issue.
    Read further down in the thread.

SD not reading - help

I've had the same thing happen.. Storage Card becomes an ordinary directory, with the real card moving to Storage Card2.

I believe it happens when a program starts with the card present, and then the card is removed while it's running. In my case, this was SPB Insight, which was putting RSS feeds on the card.

Remove the card, and it creates Storage Card directory, puts files there, and so on.

It would be nice if the OS would refuse to create an ordinary directory called "Storage Card" and reserve that name for the card.

I agree - it's an awful design. It should either work that way, or the "root" should look like "My Computer" in XP, with main memory and all storage cards showing up as options.

I don't have Memmaid so that isn't the cause. Perhaps it is my RSS reader trying to write to the card, not seeing it and then creating the folder in the main memory. It happened again today.....

Perhaps I'll have Egress stop writing to the card to store my feeds and see if that resolves the problem......

The most common cause of this is having e-mail save data/attachments to the storage card. Since the system powers the card down when it sleeps, it may not wake up fast enough when mail is received or the system starts back up. There were some hacks to slow down the launch of mail to remedy the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    The most common cause of this is having e-mail save data/attachments to the storage card. Since the system powers the card down when it sleeps, it may not wake up fast enough when mail is received or the system starts back up. There were some hacks to slow down the launch of mail to remedy the problem.
    It just happened to me again. Live Search was the problem this time. I was using my GPS and the phone went to sleep. When I woke it back up, I had a new Storage Card folder in Main Memory with a Live Search subdirectory holding the GPS cache files.

Once again, I discovered it after I attached the sync cable and Easy Sync wanted to delete all of the previously synced files from my PC.

Is this a WM6 issue that MS should fix?
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

It's a WM5/6 problem, but I doubt MS will fix it. They would have to prevent applications from creating folders under the "Storage Card" volumes unless the volume existed. However, I have a feeling that this would probably break some other functionality.

They can't fix it unless they keep the storage card from going to sleep when the phone sleeps, which would burn battery, which would result in a slew of complaints.

If you can tune the cache size for WLS or other apps that you're saving data so the memory usage isn't atrocious, you'll avoid the problem by not using the storage card for volatile data (like WLS) or data that may require storage when the phone is asleep (like e-mail). It's one of the reasons I download entire messages to memory on my phone, but manually grab & save attachments to the storage card.

You may want to look at
    SD not reading - help

We began this conversation a few weeks ago.
    CurtisZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisZZZ View Post
    You may want to look at
    SD not reading - help

We began this conversation a few weeks ago.
    That post is mostly about getting the hack to work. The one post in that thread about "Storage Card2" is not about this issue. mwfielder stated that he removed the card, then when he reinserted it, the "Storage Card2" folder showed up. The OP in this thread stated that he never removed the card.

I'm all for keeping issues in one thread, but this is a different issue.

It is the same issue even though the way he got there is different. Phone wakes up, tries writing to "Storage Card." The card hasn't woken up yet, so the phone creates a "Storage Card" directory and dumps data there. Storage card completes waking up and loads its mount point. OS says "Storage Card already exists so now you're Storage Card 2."

The issue is that the card won't be awake fast enough for some apps to do their thing when the phone comes out of sleep for some reason. You end up with the same result as an app trying to write to a Storage Card when none is present.

What reason do we have to think that the card is asleep and somehow "unmounted"? I would expect the mount state to be the same while sleeping.

That is, the card is still "present" and mounted as Storage Card even while the PDA sleeps. When it wakes up, there should be no change.

Are you seeing "Storage Card" vanish for a while when the phone comes out of sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    It is the same issue even though the way he got there is different. Phone wakes up, tries writing to "Storage Card." The card hasn't woken up yet, so the phone creates a "Storage Card" directory and dumps data there. Storage card completes waking up and loads its mount point. OS says "Storage Card already exists so now you're Storage Card 2."

The issue is that the card won't be awake fast enough for some apps to do their thing when the phone comes out of sleep for some reason. You end up with the same result as an app trying to write to a Storage Card when none is present.
    The symptoms are the same (appearance of "Storage Card2" when the card is recognized), but the issue is different. mwfielder doesn't have a problem with the SD card "not waking up yet" - he yanked it out. rckymtnrfc is having that problem.

I have a feeling we'll agree to disagree on that one, but, regardless, the other thread was about something completely different (getting the hack to work). The fact that someone made a tangentially related post doesn't change the purpose for the thread.

As for MS fixing the problem, I still think MS could solve this by not letting programs create a subdirectory under "Storage Card" if there is no "Storage Card" directory. Since "Storage Card" is a special directory (i.e., a mount point for a different volume), it should be protected. Alternatively, application developers should verify that it exists before writing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    As for MS fixing the problem, I still think MS could solve this by not letting programs create a subdirectory under "Storage Card" if there is no "Storage Card" directory. Since "Storage Card" is a special directory (i.e., a mount point for a different volume), it should be protected. Alternatively, application developers should verify that it exists before writing to it.
    To protect it, they'd have to either have an application bomb because it can't write to the location set in the Registry, dynamically redirect the app based on the presence or absence of a card, or replace the registry setting with one that will work. The first is sure to cause a firestorm or negative reaction from users, the second will be a mess to implement, and the third is also likely to tick off users to no end when their settings change for no apparent reason.

What I would like to see them do (and suggested to them) is at least show an error of some form when it occurs so that you can do something about it without discovering the issue yourself.

I had the same problem today also, the storage card was renamed to Storage Card2 and the Storage Card directory has WLS folder/files in it. This hasn't happened to me before and I have had WLS installed for weeks now. I am using a 2g Sandisk card without the Hack. Removed card, soft reset, deleted Storage Card directory then re-inserted card. That fixed it for now but this seems like a real hassle if it can't be prevented.

Mike

How do we go about SOLVING this issue though?

Running SPB Phone Suite, Backup, Wallet, Pocket Plus 4, NO SD card hack