+ Reply to Thread

This one's for you Mark(s) - Verizon to OPEN NETWORK!!!!!

Saw this just hit and thought of you guys.

Looks like Verizon will be opening it's network up in 2008!

Verizon to open cell network to all phones - Nov. 27, 2007

Here's the text . . . Enjoy!

Jay
    Verizon to open cell network to all phones

No. 2 U.S. wireless operator says it will allow customers to use any device, not just the phones it offers.

jQuery.noConflict(); // This will revert $ back to its original library // Uses both the shortcut for $(document).ready() // and the argument to write failsafe jQuery code // using the $ alias, without relying on the global alias.jQuery(function($) { // Your code using failsafe $ alias here... $('#rssIcon').click(function(){ $(this).toggleClass( 'selected' ); $('#rssMenu').slideToggle('fast'); return false; }); $('#closeRSS').click(function(){ $('#rssMenu').slideToggle('fast'); return false; });});function getDiggURL(){diggURL='http:\/\/digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=money.cnn.com'+location.pathname;window.open(diggURL);} window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; EW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Verizon Wireless will break with the rest of the U.S. cell phone industry and become the first mobile operator to let customers use any phone on its network, the company announced Tuesday.

The No. 2 U.S. wireless operator said that, by the end of 2008, its customers could use phones and other devices that they've purchased anywhere, as long as they meet certain standards.
    It is a major change for Verizon Wireless, which had previously only sold phones and service together as a package. U.S. cell phone carriers dictate the type of phones customers may use.
    "This really represents a 180-degree turnaround from where Verizon was before," said Harold Feld, senior vice president of the Media Access Project, a public interest group. "Until about a year ago, the model for the wireless industry was, 'we own the network, we control what's on the network.' Verizon, like the other carriers, was very aggressive about controlling the look and feel of their products."
    Feld said that Verizon was likely prodded by the emergence of Google as an open platform player (working together with Sprint and T-Mobile) and the recent public dissatisfaction with the locking of the iPhone.
    "Verizon was very quick on the uptake, turning around and realizing these changes weren't challenges to their business model, but opportunities," he added.
    Going gaga over Google mobile
    Phones and devices that access Verizon Wireless' network will still have to meet technical standards dictated by Verizon, and the company said it would publish guidelines for designing software and devices for the network early in 2008.
    Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Britain's Vodafone PLC.
    Shares of Verizon Communications (Charts, Fortune 500) climbed 0.6 percent on the New York Stock Exchange Tuesday afternoon, while U.S. shares of Vodafone (Charts) were little changed. Rival Sprint Nextel (Charts, Fortune 500) was down 2.5 percent, while AT&T (Charts, Fortune 500) was 1.3 percent higher.
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

DANG

Maybe I want to make my i730 stretch out another year...

Wow! I'd love to have the HTC Touch on VZW.

Given VZ's history, I wouldn't hold my breath. They'll make their standards so out of bounds that no one will build to their specs, is my guess.
    PKi730

cool...now if they didn't already have all the best phones this side of the world

Take a look at many of the GSM phones, and I think you'll find VZW is actually behind. There's a whole lot of development there that the US never sees.

And it remains to be seen what the certification fee and process will be.

But, it is a positive step.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    cool...now if they didn't already have all the best phones this side of the world
    Verizon has the best phones you think? That's quite s stretch. unless by this side of the world you're referring to a few miles of uncharted land up in northern Canada! I'm a VZ user for years, but it's never been about their phones, which are usually behind the curve compared to their competitors, but it's about the network, if I may be so bold to quote VZ's own pitch!
    PKi730

I wouldn't go so far as to say Verizon has the best phones but currently they do have the best phone for me (i760). Even with all it's short comings it is perfect for what I need it to do.

PDA Phone Newbie
    Everyone is still way behind Japan just the same.
    Only remaining issue is having all these fancy GSM/GPRS phones built to work on CDMA.

Hobby of the week-aholic
    Quote Originally Posted by pki730 View Post
    Given VZ's history, I wouldn't hold my breath. They'll make their standards so out of bounds that no one will build to their specs, is my guess.
    From Gearlog - Gadget Guide by Geeks for Geeks

Asked whether the network would be open to potential hardware manufacturers beyond the major players, Verizon CTO **** Lynch stated, "If someone has the ability to build a phone in their basement on a breadboard, and they want to bring it us, the philosophy says, 'Have at it.'"

"I think it's important for us to realize that it's not just phones that we're talking about," Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam added. He stated that the newly opened network would have the potential to cater to new devices that could potentially utilize the network, such as gaming systems. "It doesn't matter whether it sells five or 5,000 devices," added McAdam. "This makes it possible for anyone who wants to get into the game to get into the game. It just has to meet the general connectivity standards."

While the standards and test pricing have yet to be announced, McAdam added that the cost would be lower than many are anticipating. "We would expect that the provider of the device would have some fee that they would pay. I think it's going to be surprisingly reasonable. We would expect that essentially it's for services rendered."

Hints that the standards might not be so stringent. Now the testing fees I have no doubt will be steep but in all reality the major players can afford it.
    Last edited by Vitticeps; 11-28-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    The testing would/should only be for the radio portion of the device.

The device support would/should only be supplied by the manufacturer.

We would/should be able to by the device directly from the manufacturers.

Hey this would be just like how we buy and get support for our PC's today! What a concept.

I'm hoping that there will be no more WiFi, Bluetooth, PIM or any applications crippling by VZW.

Let technology flow!
    I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Viva la geeks!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyphre View Post
    Only remaining issue is having all these fancy GSM/GPRS phones built to work on CDMA.
    I wouldn't hold your breath for that.

Verizon won't be CDMA for all that much longer. Their roadmap is to move over to the next version of GSM over the next 5 years or so.