+ Reply to Thread

Angry I definitely got ripped of by Verizon dealer

I posted this a couple days ago in the wrong thread, but now I have my facts straight.

I bought the i760 last week at a local Verizon shop. The clerk told me it included accessories (charger, case, and headset). When I agreed to the sale, she went to the rack and pulled off the accessories without my input. I didn't question at the time, because "they were free".

The total price was less than I expected (about $270 including tax, but I was expecting to pay 299 plus tax), so I didn't question that either. I guess in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was some other $50 rebate that wasn't published. When I got home and looked more closely at the receipt, I realized the phone was $199, and the accessories were billed separately. I just assumed that was how they worked the "free accessories.

Now I realize the phone should have been $199 as on the receipt because of the advanced device discount. She just took it upon herself to sell mer accessories that I have no use for.

The more I think about this, the madder I get. This clerk literally stole from me. There just isn't any other way to put it. You shouldn't have to put up with this from an allegedly reputable business. I might expect this at the mall, but this was a high-end retail store.

I'm seriously considering returning the phone anyway, because it looks like the 6800 just came out. But, since this was nothing short of criminal, I'm tempted to take my complaint to Verizon corporate and try and extract an apology from them.

That totally sucks man!!! I work for a Verizon Agent in the midwest and even I agree that that's quite misleading, however not all places have the same pricing. Verizon gets away with this by the small type in the header of their website stating that not all places will honor the online price and that that is strictly an online price. For example, average price down south by my GF is 279.99 before rebate, but that does include the data discount. One other thing is to see if she said that the acc were free, or if you got a "bundle pack". However, I'm curious to see where your finding a 6800 'cause word around the office is that the official release date is Dec. 5th. if you are finding it available somehwere, lemme know. The 760 does take the cake out of the two phones though. also, impartially here, you did happen to get an i760 which is sold out all over now, so the price may have sucked, but at least you got one!!!

I dunno.. $199 with accessories sounds pretty good.

I paid $250 at a real Verizon location after CA sales tax, with all the discounts (and before mailing in the $50 rebate), so it sounds like you go the BETTER deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Loop View Post
    I dunno.. $199 with accessories sounds pretty good.

I paid $250 at a real Verizon location after CA sales tax, with all the discounts (and before mailing in the $50 rebate), so it sounds like you go the BETTER deal to me.
    No, it was 199 plus another 50 for the accessories I didn't want. Total was 270.31 including tax. I think it's a good price for the phone, I just don't like people pulling a fast on on me like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pillagingjack View Post
    That totally sucks man!!! I work for a Verizon Agent in the Midwest and even I agree that that's quite misleading, however not all places have the same pricing. Verizon gets away with this by the small type in the header of their website stating that not all places will honor the online price and that that is strictly an online price. For example, average price down south by my GF is 279.99 before rebate, but that does include the data discount. One other thing is to see if she said that the acc were free, or if you got a "bundle pack". However, I'm curious to see where your finding a 6800 'cause word around the office is that the official release date is Dec. 5th. if you are finding it available somehwere, lemme know. The 760 does take the cake out of the two phones though. also, impartially here, you did happen to get an i760 which is sold out all over now, so the price may have sucked, but at least you got one!!!

Gee, I bought this phone in the Midwest, I hope it wasn't your shop!

I don't remember hearing the word "free". She said, "The phone comes with...". The real kicker was throwing in the extra $2 ear bud covers. That's just disgusting.

So far I do love the phone. Everything I hated about my 6700 is right with this one. But the 6800 has the rev A, more ROM and a 2mpx camera. It doesn't have the numeric keypad, which is something I really hated about the 6700. I don't see any other significant differences in the phones.

If you go on HowardForums you can see that some people are getting presales already. (Although it appears to be mistakes by phone staff). They claim the phone officially goes on sale on the web tomorrow.

Ah, okay.

Well the good news is that you can just return the accessories you don't want. They're unrelated to the phone sale, so just get a refund.

The posted price at (real) Verizon shops actually does include the $50 accessory pack. When talking to the sales reps, most of them quote the price with the accessories stripped, but it's certainly a Corporate Pricing thing to include them, not the work of the one salesman you encountered.

The big red complicated tags with the price "spreadsheet" on them includes the accessories, so I had to mentally subtract $50 from all the Verizon prices.. Lame.

But just return them and be done with it.

"WM2003SE fanatic..." RedBaronK's Avatar
    that same thing happened to me a few years ago by this scumbag verizon sales rep who reminded me of a used car salesman. when I asked if I needed the crappy accessories he said that it was free so I should take it since the price is the same. when I got home I realized it wasn't . if it wasn't for my laziness I would have emailed executive escalation dept and made a huge complaint regarding this SOB. I think these sales reps make more money based on comissions from accessories sales o its prone to abuse. I ddnt even care about the cost of the accessories.....just thefact that this grimey scumbag didn't give me a choice in the matter.
    Mr. Belding's on speed dial #3, right after Screech.

Quote Originally Posted by BRENG View Post
    Gee, I bought this phone in the Midwest, I hope it wasn't your shop!

I don't remember hearing the word "free". She said, "The phone comes with...". The real kicker was throwing in the extra $2 ear bud covers. That's just disgusting.

So far I do love the phone. Everything I hated about my 6700 is right with this one. But the 6800 has the rev A, more ROM and a 2mpx camera. It doesn't have the numeric keypad, which is something I really hated about the 6700. I don't see any other significant differences in the phones.

If you go on HowardForums you can see that some people are getting presales already. (Although it appears to be mistakes by phone staff). They claim the phone officially goes on sale on the web tomorrow.
    Chicago area? Well, I can assure you that it wasnt my store because all PDA sales go through me and we have been sold out of 760's for quite a while...maybe a month...haha...what store did you go to?

Woah - too weird. This same exact thing happened to me and as I was poking around forums today, I kind of realized it.

I ended up paying about $300 out the door for the phone (with NE2 and ADC mind you) as well as a BT earpiece, Belt Holster (which broke the same night, even) and a travel charger. Ugh.

I'm returning the phone for a Voyager most likely in the coming days but this really pisses me off. Glad I'm not the only one.

Sheeze.. does anyone have a Verizon-label belt holster that has NOT broken?

The salesman in the store broke it just trying to show me that the clip swivels.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Loop View Post
    Sheeze.. does anyone have a Verizon-label belt holster that has NOT broken?

The salesman in the store broke it just trying to show me that the clip swivels.
    Broken Belt Clip / Holster - How long did yours last?

FYI>>> i know its the wrong post, but we just got some plastic clips in my store, non verizon branded and I put one on and it scratched up the top of my phone!!! Im pissed!!! screw it....going back to my leather case...