+ Reply to Thread

One-hand contact searching?

OK, the switch from the 730 to the 760 happened over Thanksgiving and I still can't seem to figure out a few items I think should be really basic (and therefore obvious). I've searched, but also read through the ~400 threads on the 760 forum (I figured it would yield a lot of info and it has!). I've followed the forums since the 760 was released (early for some) so I felt like I knew most of the tricks, but I'm still missing a few.

Here is the first: on the 730 I frequently hit the contacts ky and then began entering a name while it searched for the contact. I could then simply hit the send key or the center d-pad key to dial.

on the 760, I first have to hit the right 'menu' soft key and then the center d-pad key to get to the contact list. I can scroll down using the d-pad, but if I hit any of the front numbers it does not enter any info to start a search. I can open the slider/keyboard and work there, but I'm looking for one-hand-while-I'm-driving functionality without the slider keypad open. What am I missing?

Of course, I may also remap the left softkey so that it jumps to the contact list directly (I don't initiate many messages, so the 'messaging' soft key isn't used often and I can always just scroll down to messages from the today screen).

There are 2 ways to search through your contact list...

1. Start typing on the front keypad from the today screen. It will search through your contact list and then you can select the contact you wish to call.

2. Go into contacts then hit up on the directional pad and type using front keypad. For some reason when you go into contacts, it doesn't place the cursor in the search area.

Hope this helps.

I KNEW there was a simple method! Thanks a ton Nattyd! I'm sure this must have been mentioned somewhere in the 'manual' or in another thread here, but I certainly didn't see it.

Obviously, I don't need to remap the left softkey either, as I don't need to go into the contact list to begin searching - just start the search from the today screen.

This forum saves the day again.

Also, when you're in the contacts screen, and you press up to go into the search bar, a long press of each key inserts the number and it works to search all matches of possible letter / number combinations.

But then again, that's the same thing that happens when you just press numbers from the today screen. I actually forgot about that one, and it's waaaay easier.

Also, if you start typing from the today screen, and you get a contact. Once you select a contact, if you hit left or right on the d-pad it will switch from "m" to "w" to "h" (mobile, work, home), etc. To switch from that contact's different available phone numbers. Then you can just hit the green call button and dial immediately.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DazednConfuzed View Post
    Also, if you start typing from the today screen, and you get a contact. Once you select a contact, if you hit left or right on the d-pad it will switch from "m" to "w" to "h" (mobile, work, home), etc. To switch from that contact's different available phone numbers. Then you can just hit the green call button and dial immediately.
    Nice find.........

Mark

Also you only have to hit each number key once to search for a name, for example to find "Frank" hit 3 7 2 6 5 As you hit each key it will narrow down the number of contacts that match what you have entered so far. Select with the D-pad and away you go...

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC1 View Post
    Also you only have to hit each number key once to search for a name, for example to find "Frank" hit 3 7 2 6 5 As you hit each key it will narrow down the number of contacts that match what you have entered so far. Select with the D-pad and away you go...
    Oh yeah.......now that's the best tip yet!

Oh, yeah, you don't even need to hit the somewhat awkwardly placed send button, you can initiate the call with the center button on the d-pad.

Converged - diggin' it!
    I must admit, I love the contact search by the front dial pad - my i600 had that type of search I'm so glad they brought it back!!

Here is another quick Q on contact searching. On my i730 once you made a call (think - called bob's sell phone) and they didn't answer you could press the soft key labeled 'back' and it would pop back to the search screen and you could scroll from the 'm' number to the 'h' number (think - try bob at home). I can't figure out how to do that on my 760 - anyone know how??

Right now if I want to try a different type of number I hit the end key (red hang up button) to go back to the today and I have to re search for that contact, then scroll to the 'h'. It isn't awful, but more effort than I want to expend...
    Gadget Girl

great stuff. not as useful as some of the other tips but:

also if you press down and hold, eventually you'll see large block letters C, D, E...etc..use up and down to navigate to the starting letter of interest..

I Don't Know If This Answers Your Question...

Quote Originally Posted by workingmom View Post
    I must admit, I love the contact search by the front dial pad - my i600 had that type of search I'm so glad they brought it back!!

Here is another quick Q on contact searching. On my i730 once you made a call (think - called bob's sell phone) and they didn't answer you could press the soft key labeled 'back' and it would pop back to the search screen and you could scroll from the 'm' number to the 'h' number (think - try bob at home). I can't figure out how to do that on my 760 - anyone know how??

Right now if I want to try a different type of number I hit the end key (red hang up button) to go back to the today and I have to re search for that contact, then scroll to the 'h'. It isn't awful, but more effort than I want to expend...
    ... but try this:
    • After you hang up from your unsuccessful call and are on the today screen, press the green key to bring up the dialer again. The call history (just above the on-screen keypad) will have been updated with your recent call, and it will already be selected.
    • Just press the d-pad left or right to select an alternate number for that contact (or press the d-pad center button to view all the alternate numbers, and the up/down d-pad to select the one you want)
    • and then activate the call with the green button
    Hope this helps.