+ Reply to Thread

Why do I need ActiveSync?

ActiveSync has been a pig on my PC with RapiMgr regularly freaking out. Searching has told me that it looks like it is having a conflict with either the Firewall or a download manager.

The only things I sync are Outlook that I sync OTA. and therefore can't see any reason not to juts uninstall AS alltogether rather than try to debug the problem.

The only downside I see is that I lose the ability to browse the phone from my PC and perhaps to install apps without CABS. I think there are other, better apps for both purposes.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    No you arent missing anything, you got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by askme233 View Post
    ActiveSync has been a pig on my PC with RapiMgr regularly freaking out. Searching has told me that it looks like it is having a conflict with either the Firewall or a download manager.

The only things I sync are Outlook that I sync OTA. and therefore can't see any reason not to juts uninstall AS alltogether rather than try to debug the problem.

The only downside I see is that I lose the ability to browse the phone from my PC and perhaps to install apps without CABS. I think there are other, better apps for both purposes.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks.
    I tried all-OTA sync but it got my calendar and tasks all screwed up. I now use OTA just for email and Activesync for everything else. If you are happy with the OTA sync and don't need the other capabilities you describe then I would uninstall it.

God, I have a problem. It's me. michele654's Avatar
    I had problems with rapimgr going to 100% CPU utilization after a sync. Nothing fixed it but a reboot. I messed with the firewall, etc. etc. When I unchecked the Advanced Network functionality in the Settings/Connections/USB to PC, that stopped.

Also, you can kill activesync, I found a script somewhere. Just make a bat file with:

taskkill -im WCESMgr.exe /F
    taskkill -im wcescomm.exe /F
    taskkill -im rapimgr.exe /F

Of course, this doesn't work if rapimgr has already freaked out.

-Michele

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    I tried all-OTA sync but it got my calendar and tasks all screwed up. I now use OTA just for email and Activesync for everything else. If you are happy with the OTA sync and don't need the other capabilities you describe then I would uninstall it.
    wtherrell I am having trouble getting my i760 to sync with OTA can you share what you did to get yours to work. I am with a small company and fear that we don't have our exchange 2003 set up properly.

Thanks
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by cpfuller View Post
    wtherrell I am having trouble getting my i760 to sync with OTA can you share what you did to get yours to work. I am with a small company and fear that we don't have our exchange 2003 set up properly.

Thanks
    Charles
    I am using Wireless Sync PC monitor that uploads from my PC to Wireless sync website which then pushes to the phone. I set most of it up on the Wireless Sync web site under my account. I'm afraid I am of no help when it comes to setting it up with exchange server 2003 but I remember threads and posts discussing this in either this or another WM6 forum. I am confident that a search will turn something up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cpfuller View Post
    Odds are good that Outlook Mobile Access is disabled and/or your server can't be reached from the Internet. That'd be where I'd start looking, anyway.

Just to be clear, my understanding was that you don't NEED to use Exchange server to use wireless synce - is that correct? I was told I could use wireless sync to keep my 760 and outlook synced simply with the verizon wireless sync website - again, is this correct?

I guess I better just get my butt going and give it a try.

There's wirelessly syncing with AS, which requires Exchange.

Then there's Wireless Sync, the app provided by VZW. To make this work, the desktop machine needs to be left on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miescha View Post
    Just to be clear, my understanding was that you don't NEED to use Exchange server to use wireless synce - is that correct? I was told I could use wireless sync to keep my 760 and outlook synced simply with the verizon wireless sync website - again, is this correct?

I guess I better just get my butt going and give it a try.
    Correct. You do not need an Exchange server to use VZW's Wireless Sync software. However, after Perf points out, if you're using VZW's Wireless Sync, you need to leave your PC (the one with Outlook) on and connected to the internet so it can exchange (sorry about the pun) data with VZW's Wireless Sync server, which in turn exchanges data with the i760.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)