+ Reply to Thread

Do I really need my i760? :( Voyager instead? A Moto Q Perhaps?

So, the more I use this phone (And don't get me wrong, I really like it a lot now that I've had it a few days) I realize I may not need all that it has to offer.

I'm a struggling actor in LA, so I primarily need a phone that has a capable browser and zip-bang email capability. I don't use mobile Word or Excel or MS exchange. The calendar functions are useful but I'm not sure if that offsets the huge (for me) monthly data fee.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had experience with other similar phones or hell, maybe even the Voyager would be up my alley.

Epic Geek
    My wife is looking at those same three phones. I didn't care for the original Q and I don't like the on screen dial pad.

The voyager is a sweet phone but once you open the clamshell the inside screen is NOT a touch screen so you are down to using the buttons to navigate anyway.

If you want push mail hosted exchange and a WM device is the way to go imo.

Maybe you would be better off with a Blackberry Pearl?

Quote Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
    Maybe you would be better off with a Blackberry Pearl?
    I'm thinking so. Is that the most up to date RIM phone available through VZW?

I use the i760 for work and the Voyager is my personal phone. I really like them both but the voyager really offers all I personally need in a phone. I have been very impressed with the web browser.

On another BB related note - that keyboard worries me :-\

Voyager is fine if you want music, video, TV on your phone & not a lot else. Really great for txt messaging and picture messaging, but needs plan. I had the forerunner LG phone, the "V" Had to pay $15 per month for VCAST and a lousy WAP2 browser web experience and another $20 per month for Wireless Sync. Then found out Wireless Sync would not sync my Task list on that phone. Don't think it does on the Voyager, either. If you trick out the Voyager with all the plan you need, it's almost as much as the unlimited data plan. I am so happy with the i760 for my needs that I could ---well, trust me. I like it! VCAST, & such is just "piddlin" around. I now have something that helps me really get my work done so I can sit down in front of my home theater and big screen TV and really enjoy. Not squinting at a tiny 2" screen.

i have used every generation Q. i did testing on the phones. they are great for what they do and the voice quality is excellent. there is no touch screen so you will have to navigate with the dpad. i just needed something a little more robust so i jumped to the i760.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I too have used all the phones your looking at ... I personnally loved the q9M ... WM6 was a great improvement ... I'd still be using it except I couldn't get handbase for my business to work right ... so I'm back to the I760 ... which I like alot ... and handbase works great on the I760 ... it's all in what you need ... but maybe give the q9m a shot .... really nice phone if you just need a little bit of a pda ...
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Quote Originally Posted by Jschmuck2 View Post
    So, the more I use this phone (And don't get me wrong, I really like it a lot now that I've had it a few days) I realize I may not need all that it has to offer.

I'm a struggling actor in LA, so I primarily need a phone that has a capable browser and zip-bang email capability. I don't use mobile Word or Excel or MS exchange. The calendar functions are useful but I'm not sure if that offsets the huge (for me) monthly data fee....

If its the data fee that is causing concern you can have that service removed from your account... I think you'll get data package with all the phones you're looking at if you don't have them remove it.... you might be able to get away with a cheaper package or a per/kb rate.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

For the Voyager only: If you change your calling plan to a premium one the data is included. If not then you can add the Vcast Pak for $15 a month. This includes unlimited data downloads....and by unlimited I mean 5 gb. With a simple adjustment you can tether the Voyager to a computer at EV speeds. Of course this is against the TOS but it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jschmuck2 View Post
    I'm thinking so. Is that the most up to date RIM phone available through VZW?
    I was on the fence with a BB for 30 days and decided to stay with the 760. They cripple bluetooth gps on the BB to enable VZ Navigator. I like the idea that the data plan was only 29.95 unlimited on the BB. As for the keyboard, it took some getting used to but its not that bad. I spent hours playing with the Pearl and 8830 in a Verizon store. Google reviews on the 8130 and research before diving in.. Its a nice little phone but I am hoping they will get the Curve.

I'd go with the BB Pearl and download (free) Opera Mini. Best browser on the mobile platform, hands down. Superior email, small form factor. Sounds like that would be the best for you.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Yeah Opera Mini is the only browser I have had the patience to use. As for the Pearl the screens is small but crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
    Yeah Opera Mini is the only browser I have had the patience to use. As for the Pearl the screens is small but crystal clear.
    Ah - well, I was reading on Howardforums (forgive me ) that Opera and the Pearl sometimes didn't play nice. Almost as though there is a memory leak or something of that kind in the software. People are reporting that they have to pull their batteries every 4-6 hours to remain operational.

Zoinks =\

Anyhow, thanks for the input and keep it coming if you'd be so kind.