+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dismal battery life

I'm starting to come to a breaking point with this phone. I have had it for a week, and have loved it so far. One problem I am having is the battery life. For the first 5 days I had no problems, made it through the day just fine. Monday and today were the first two days for it at work and I must say I am VERY disappointed in the battery life. Today I took it off the charger at 6am (extended battery) and I had a low battery warning at 2:30pm!!! The phone was on my desk all day. I received 2 emails, sent 1, had 0 phone calls and about 2 minutes of web time. I have my aol email set to check every 30 minutes, wifi was off, bluetooth was off. Programs installed are : rltoday, wisbar 3, weather watcher (does not auto update), weather to go (does not auto update). Nothing besides my email should be connecting to keep my connection alive. I can't keep this phone if it only lasts 8.5 hours in basically standby mode, as my workday is longer than that. Is there something I am missing? I have searched, but didn't find anything worthwhile.

Your experience is not typical based upon numerous other posts in this forum regarding battery life.

If I were you, I would consider contacting Verizon and asking them to consider this a hardware problem and replace your phone.

I use my phone about the same as you and I can not believe how long my battery lasts compared to my old I-760. I think it might be the RLToday plugin. I went through a similar problem with my I-730 about 6 months ago. I noticed with it running, the clock was using alot of CPU with the scaler program I was using. It was pegging the CPU to 520mhz all the time. I changed a line in the config script for the amount of time it would update the clock and that fixed the problem. Remove it and see if it helps.. Good Luck and let everyone know if that fixed it.
    Last edited by rsohne; 11-28-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Today at 7:00 AM I took phone off charger. Updated weather and email. Played with new bluetooth set. Messed around with some settings. Made 4 calls-about 20 minutes in all. Checked calendar and tasks. Spent several hours reading email and surfing the web. Made shopping lists with Listpro. More weather updates and such later. Ran power clean to free up memory. Phone was on standby all the rest of the time. Today at 5:30 PM I still had 75% remaining on my extended battery.
    If you leave on bluetooth or WiFi the battery will drain much quicker than this. Unless you are leaving those on, or have some software that is resulting in unusual drain, you probably have a bad battery. Normal battery life with this phone is much better than its predecessors and one of the tops in the field. Also read the thread on battery life and how to maximize it. If those hints don't help, make Verizon give you a new one until it's fixed.

You should try using your phone for a day or so w/ no 3rd party software. Simply hard reset the phone, load your contacts and go a day or 2 and see how your battery life works out.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    If you leave on bluetooth or WiFi the battery will drain much quicker than this.
    Bluetooth should not result in a battery drain that's anywhere close to the WiFi power consumption. While I don't have the i760, my i730 and TyTN II both can go 8-12 hours with bluetooth and reasonable usage.

I use my phone on EVDO all day long on the extended battery and I'll get the warning in my last hour of work or on my way home, and then even after that it still last another 4 hours.

Definitely not typical. I'm averaging two days with heavy email use (100+ emails per work day) and 10 phone calls and numerous staring at the beauty of this device. It is also on vibrate too.

Get a new battery or tell VW.

my battery life is great.

My battery life is so much better than my old XV6700. I use Wireless Sync to send emails to my phone and also have my Gmail account checked every 15 minutes. I have bluetooth on and my actual call time varies each day. I can manage to go all day without having to recharge my battery. I used to carry the Standard battery with me every place I went but found it was unnecessary.

Bluetooth use should be minor if it is not "Visible" or discoverable.

I agree with tange1 -- you need to baseline your phone out of the box. Hard reset, run it with no 3rd party apps or special settings, and see how it goes.

I'm always surprised to run Task Manager and see all the programs that are STILL running after I've closed them. I wish the Close/OK button actually killed the program thread instead of just backgrounding it.

One other dirty secret is that all phones use much more power when in motion between cells and sectors. A phone sitting idle in one place with good signal strength will have MUCH longer standby than one that is moving up the highway all day. Moving out of coverage or into fringe areas is even more extreme, as "searching" uses an inordinate amount of power.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Sooooo Not Typical ... Monday I took the phone off the charger at 6 am ... did 20 minutes in the hot tub streaming xm ... drove the 65 miles to my truck dealer and put the truck in for a new turbo ... while at the dealer I watched National Treasure and Wild Hogs on my phone ... after that I read for about an hour with eReader .... I had probably 40 minutes of phone calls during this time ... I then drove home another 65 miles (this is desert area ... not much cell service so it's searhing alot) ... did the rest of the day at work ... another 40 minutes of phone or so ... went home ... went bowling .. did about 30 minutes of web searching (HOG Club related) at the bowling alley prior to bowling .... got home at 11pm ... when I put the phone back on the charger ... I had 28% battery left ... and that's with the standard battery ... I had taken the fully charged extended in my wallet incase I needed it ... but alast I never did ... my I730 or my xv6700 or even my Q .. would of died after the first movie ... Sooooooo ... I'd say your battery is not up to par ... or something is sucking the life out of it ... by the way ... I'm using push mail and wireless sync ... and average 10 - 20 emails a day ... I typically get 2 days out of a charge ... full days ... all my syncing is with wireless sync and the (non charging) usb cable to get Handbase to sync ...

Having said all that .. I'd do a hard reset ... just load pim data ... no 3rd party apps (as recommended above) ... and test the phone like that .. if battery life still stinks ... swap it out ... may have an issue .. if not do the load one app every couple days and figure out which one is eating the batteries ... painful ... but effective
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

I've been trying to figure out why my battery life sucks. Most days, I take the phone off the charger around 7-8 am and by 3pm I'm getting the low battery warning. I've been using the standard battery, but will be switching to the extended battery. I run no additional software programs - just a stock phone at this point.

I'm a somewhat heavy phone user at 20-30 calls per day, but most are 2 minute deals, and rarely are any more than 5 minutes. I surf occassionally most days just to google stuff. I have my two pop3 email accounts set to check every 15 minutes (I would do it every 5 minutes if I could - maybe I should switch to push email). I get 30 or so emails messages daily.

I get 5-20 text messages daily and read them all as they arrive. I use the calculator occassionally and I'm constantly adding/changing stuff in my calendar. I have voice command set to announce my calendar reminders. I get a bubble and sound alert for new email (but I'm trying to stop this as I only want notification of text messages and urgent emails, if possible).

This may be the killer though, I usually have BT on all the time so I can quickly switch to my Jawbone when desired or have it connect to my cars installed BT. Worse yet, I have BT in the 'visible' mode and I have had it this way since the first day - I was out-of-town for Thanksgiving and the only way I could transfer stuff from my 730 was to beam via the BT radio.

I'll switch the BT so it is not 'visible' and I'll work on turning off the radio when not actively in use (though this will somewhat slow my ability to make the switch to the Jawbone).

I'll also kill some of those bubble and sound notifications for email, and if necessary stop the VC notification of calendar event reminders (though this is pretty nice as I don't have to take my phone out of my coat pocket to see what the reminder is for).

Any other thoughts?

Based on your description, it's time to return the phone and get a new one. Either your battery is bad or there's something in the phone that's drawing too much power.

While BT does increase draw, it's not that bad (though I'd turn off discovery mode and never turn it on again unless you're going to pair with something).

But with no additional software and what you're describing, I'd do a warranty exchange.

so today, I was going to try it to see if it would repeat yesterday's performance. I got a low battery warning around 3:30. BUT...when I got home, I plugged it into the charger for literally 5 seconds (seriously, 5 seconds max) and when I unplugged it, my battery was at 55%, and has been at 55% for 2 hours now with wifi turned on.....so...I went from low battery warning, plugged it into the charger for 5 seconds and now it is holding steady at 55%.....I think tomorrow I may see if it gets that low again, do a soft reset and see if it jumps back up. Does this sound weird to anyone else?

The circuitry on your battery (yes, it has circuitry - all LiIon/LiPolymer batteries do) sounds like it's defective. I'd return it before it decides to allow you to overcharge it and you end up with a melted phone/battery or a fire.

I think the battery life is great. I am using the extended battery. I took it off the charger at 6 am. Listened to music through bluetooth stereo headphones for most of the morning and was sitting at about 85% around 12pm. Then I used slingplayer for 30 min and that really killed the battery, took me down to 65%. After that from about 1515 to 1745 I listened to music again. When I finally got home I was only down to 38%

The first week I had my phone the battery life was terrible. Wouldnt last a day. Now its lasting a few. It should get better.

I have to say that I am very disappointed woth the battery life of the i-760. I came from the Treo 700wx with an extended battery and the i-760 doesn't last the entire day. The only way I can keep this phone is to get a desktop cradle I guess.

I too am sick of this phone's battery - and I've only been using it 3 days!
    Coming from the (huge) i730 this thing has terrible life for me. I ran out some calculations for you guys:

Total Talk Time: 131 minutes. (2h 11m)
    Advertised: 204 minutes. (3h 24m)
    = 64.2% of what I should be getting:

Conditions
    -In a period of under a day
    -Battery has been through 3 full cycles
    -No B/T usage
    -No WiFi usage
    -15 text messages
    -~10 minutes of light data usage

Now I know that data, texting, wifi, and B/T will all run down the battery (duh. the Verizon agent who so calmly explained it to me in elementary terms was a bit insulting....) but this is ridiculous. I could use plenty of data, B/T on most of the day, lots of texting, and talk all day long on a 6 month old battery on the i730. Something gives here. Just thought I'd chime in as well. I'm going to call Verizon again tomorrow and complain to them, although ironically the phone died on me while I was talking to their customer service today about battery life......