+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Google Maps v2.0

Google just released v2.0 of their mapping program. It is able to use the a-GPS function to act as a pseudo GPS locater.

Video of how it works.

Go to http://www.google.com/gmm to download the file from your phone.

There has been some discussion on HoFo from people getting it to work with their phones on the Verizon Network.

However, I have tried it on the i760 and I get "Your current location is temporarily unavailable"

There were some that tried it on a Moto Q and got the same error.

Hopefully they will be able to get the software to work with the a-GPS in our phone in the next build.

As taken from Google:

"Google Maps with My Location (beta)

See your location on the map, with or without GPS. Save time and tedious keystrokes finding where you are, what's around you, and how to get there. Watch the video on the right to see how it works.

Press "0" and look for the blue dot: or

If you have a GPS-enabled device, this blue dot corresponds to your GPS location. At times, or if you do not have a GPS-enabled phone, you might see the blue dot surrounded by a light blue circle (as shown on the right) to indicate uncertainty about your location.

Why the uncertainty? The My Location feature takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map - it's not GPS, but it comes pretty close (approximately 1000m close, on average). We're still in beta, but we're excited to launch this feature and are constantly working to improve our coverage and accuracy.

The My Location feature is available for most web-enabled mobile phones, including Java, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Nokia/Symbian devices.

Get more info on the My Location feature and supported devices, or discuss Google Maps and My Location with other users."
    Last edited by KINetics; 11-29-2007 at 03:00 AM.

I get the "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" error immediately as well.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to continue using my bluetooth gps.

When you tried this, under:
    Phone->Settings->Services->GPS->Change Setting

did you have "Location On" or "911 Only" selected?

I did..Same error

Quote Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
    I did..Same error
    So you tried both?

Quote Originally Posted by botond View Post
    So you tried both?
    I've tried it both ways with a soft reset in between. It makes no difference. It immediately give the error. Location doesn't seem to matter either. Happened at work and at home (and the drive in between).

I have "Location On" set in the GPS settings and am also getting the "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" message. I am thinking that this does not work on the i760.

I am also getting an unavailable message (Sprint Touch)

could be a bug in the first release. maybe it only works on GSM phones. I too had location "on" and got the same error.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
    I get the "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" error immediately as well.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to continue using my bluetooth gps.
    Are you using google with the bt gps? If so, what is the procedure to get the google app to use the bt gps. I have my bt gps linked but google does not see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss53 View Post
    Are you using google with the bt gps? If so, what is the procedure to get the google app to use the bt gps. I have my bt gps linked but google does not see it.
    did you try Menu->Use GPS

I think it matters where you are. Google has said that it is a database that is still being built. Apparently it is a database thata logs cell tower information and actual locations from people who are using a standalone gps. Once it has this, it can estimate your location based on tower data alone.

PFM
    Same error with or without GPS location on.

At least it works in MS Live Search.
    Last edited by PFM; 11-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Maybe it is a GSM only thing?
    2 things to live by:
    John 8:12a - "I am the light of the world." and
    John 14:1a - "Let not your heart be troubled."

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post

At least it works in MS Live Search.
    What do you mean? Does MS Live Search have a similar ability to estimate location??

Quote Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
    Maybe it is a GSM only thing?
    Definately not a GSM thing, lots of people over at HoFo have it working through their Blackberrys. Rather, I think Verizon has blocked the AGPS libraries on Windows mobile which google would use to find out the identity of the cell phone tower you are connected to.

Had it working yesterday on TMO MDA, but not today. Not working at all on i760. They were side-by-side so it wasn't Google's database.

From the Google Maps help, to find out if this will even work on your phone:

"Go "Help" > "About" from the application. If the box contains "myl: N/A," it means your device isn't reporting a cell."

If you're having issues, I'd suggest the Google Maps discussion group on Google itself.

myl: N/A issue

Apparently some WM5/6 (blackjack, i760, Moto Q, Palm 700w, others) devices don't have the necessary API's that MyLocation requires to obtain cell reporting information. It appears that carrier or manufacturer supplied ROM updates would be required in order for this to work. Only option in these cases is an external BT GPS.

There is an extensive disccusion on the Google boards. There are not many phones out there that this works on. Let hope that they correct the issue soon.