+ Reply to Thread
    Robert Tankersley

Question Can not delete an email account

WM6 Professional
    Samsung i760

I started to add an additional account to my ppc. I decided not to do it. I can not get the account to delete off the list of accounts. I get the dropdown to delete but nothing happens. If I select options, the account does not show on the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Do a soft-reset, then give it another try.

If that doesn't work, see if one of these work:
    https://forums.microsoft.com/Windows...8294&SiteID=65

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    Do a soft-reset, then give it another try.

If that doesn't work, see if one of these work:
    https://forums.microsoft.com/Windows...8294&SiteID=65
    Soft reset did not help. There is an entry in the account list. I can not delete it, rename it, reuse it.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Did you try the repair app in that thread?
    Pocket PC Mauritius: Recover your lost email account

If you are comfortable messing around in the registry, try searching for the name of the account (you can download TotalCommander for free). I found it listed here:
    HKCU\System\State\Messages\other\Account Name\

Robert Tankersley
    Did you try the repair app in that thread?
    Pocket PC Mauritius: Recover your lost email account

I found it but can not get it to my PPC. I downloader a .RAR version but I do not know what to do with that.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

.RAR is a compressed format that you'll need to unzip with WinZip or a similar app.

You can use Pocket RAR (http://www.win-rar.com), but it's an EXE that needs to be loaded from the desktop first.

Robert Tankersley
    If you are comfortable messing around in the registry, try searching for the name of the account (you can download TotalCommander for free). I found it listed here:
    HKCU\System\State\Messages\other\Account Name\

TC is great. Thanks for that tip.

At HKCU\System\State\Messages\other\Account Name\ I found my iglou account. I even deleted it it [using the messaging app] and then verified it was gone in the registry. Then I added it back using [using the messaging app] and verified everything worked and the registry key was back.

Other entries I find at HKCU\System\State\Messages are MMS, other, OtherEmail, SMS, Sync, Syncing, TotalEmail, and vmail. Each of these seem to have logical data related to what their names imply.

There is no entry for Outlook or for the account that I messed up. I have searched but can not find that name listed anywhere on my PPC. Do you have another registry setting to check?
    Robert Tankersley CDP

I did some more digging around yesterday, and I don't have much good to report. The settings are not stored in the registry, and they are not stored in the file system as clear text. That means that the settings are most likely stored in a .VOL file. I'm not sure where to go from there

Robert Tankersley

Thumbs up

I did some more digging around yesterday, and I don't have much good to report. The settings are not stored in the registry, and they are not stored in the file system as clear text. That means that the settings are most likely stored in a .VOL file. I'm not sure where to go from there
    OK - Thanks for your input. That is where I got. I can not find the name of the account anywhere on my PPC so it must not be in clear text. This is no big issue - it just shows an account that does not really exist. I am sure a hard reset will take care of that but I would rather not. So for now I will continue to search for an answer -- I just would like to be able to say I could do it.

Thanks again.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Had the same 'ghost' email account

I ended up having to do a hard reset to get it to go away.

HTH

Mark
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.
    --Lance Armstrong (1971 - ) U.S. cyclist, 7-time winner of the Tour de France, cancer survivor

just out of curiousity, was it an outlook account you setup or was it a pop/imap account. the pop/imap account, as im sure your already aware, can be deleted by going to the messaging list, then go to menu>options, then you can just simply hold the sylus over the other pop/imap account and click delete.

if its an outlook account, which is the one i had trouble with too, what you can do is in the messaging window, click menu>options again, then click on outlook email and it will take you to the edit server setting screen, then click next and next again on the user name/password sceen. Then on the third page, uncheck all of the boxes (try leaving contact, ill say why in a sec) and click finish. that should take the outlook account off the messaging list. i also unchecked the contact box, and after clicking finish, all my contacts were also deleted, so be careful with that.

i hope this helps someone.

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by djoutlaw View Post
    just out of curiousity, was it an outlook account you setup or was it a pop/imap account. the pop/imap account, as im sure your already aware, can be deleted by going to the messaging list, then go to menu>options, then you can just simply hold the sylus over the other pop/imap account and click delete.

if its an outlook account, which is the one i had trouble with too, what you can do is in the messaging window, click menu>options again, then click on outlook email and it will take you to the edit server setting screen, then click next and next again on the user name/password sceen. Then on the third page, uncheck all of the boxes (try leaving contact, ill say why in a sec) and click finish. that should take the outlook account off the messaging list. i also unchecked the contact box, and after clicking finish, all my contacts were also deleted, so be careful with that.

i hope this helps someone.
    First it is not the outlook account. It is apop/imap account.

Here is what happened. I started to create a new account by tapping on "New E-mailAccount" While going through the setup screens, I let the name default to Other (Pop/Imap). I canceled out of the set up but that entry stuck. It shows on the list of accounts when you click the softkey "messaging". If I highlight that account and press menu I get an entry "delete". Clicking on this I get nothing. If I select "options" I go to the scree that is used to set up or modify accounts. On this screen the account does not show.
    Robert Tankersley CDP