+ Reply to Thread

i760 and laptop on the road

Whats the best way for me to transfer files / install programs to my i760 when I'm on the road and have my laptop? I left the usb cord at home. Can this be done via bluetooth or wifi?

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    To move files, you can use Bluetooth to connect to your laptop. Either connect it to do regular Bluetooth file transfers to one another, or use ActiveSync and then you can "explore" your device as if it was a removable disk drive and just drag and drop. I've also heard of people emailing a file to themselves and then syncing their email on the phone to retrieve the attachment.

If the app you want to install is a .cab file then you can simply transfer it, as mentioned above, to your phone and run it there. Otherwise, if its a exe file to install to your phone then it will require that you are connected through ActiveSync to perform the install.

ActiveSync used to support sync over network (ie through WiFi without actually directly connecting to the computer you want to sync with) but I believe they got rid of that feature a version or two ago. I'm guessing it was something of a security problem, but I don't recall if I ever heard exactly why.
    Last edited by sdittmar; 11-29-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

My computer recognized my bluetooth on the 760. Although, I have no idea how to open folders or find the phone on the computer to move files -/
    Using vista if that helps

Connect via bluetooth. Open Windows Explorer. Your PDA should show up as a device below all of your drives (local or networked) as a portable device.

Note that this won't be the fastest method of accessing your phone by any stretch of the imagination.

In Vista, it will say connected,then after a few secs that message goes away. I don't know why it doesn't keep it connected. I do not see anything listed in windows explorer for the bluetooth device. I have it set up in the Bluetooth Devices though

Are you permitting BT connections to AS? In WMDC go to Mobile Device settings and confirm that you've checked the box (second option on my machine) and set the pull down that follows to allow bluetooth connections. I don't believe it's on by default.

Also, on your device, when you go to settings-connections-bluetooth and edit the pairing with your laptop, does it show Activesync as a service? If not, make sure the above option is set, delete the pairing, and re-pair (make sure the i760 discovers the laptop, not the other way around). It should show as a service when you do.

Thanks
    So I need activesync on my vista laptop? Or windows mobile will work?

Sorry - I meant WMDC. AS won't work on Vista and I just brain farted.

Got it working now
    Thanks