+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-29-2007
    Posts
    233

    Time on today screen - Not based on the cell tower?

    I am a pilot, so I travel different time zones a lot.
    I know on my old razor phone, the time was updated based on the tower I was using , so I always had the correct time based on the time zone I am in.

    With this phone, I noticed it has no effect what time zone or tower I am using, it stays with my Central time. This is a really big "NEGATIVE" with this phone. Is there any way to fix this so it updates based on the cell tower like most cell phones?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    This has already been discussed, please use the search function.

    In short, PDA phones do not do this because it will mess up appointment, alarm, and task times etc. etc. with is a really big "POSITIVE" for any phone not to do.

    Some options that you have are to use the two clock function, or use the world clock program from Samsung.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-28-2007
    Posts
    428
    Funny. I believe the other thread was also started by a pilot. Although I would like it to change automatically, I can see why this is especially useful for pilots.

  4. #4
    Registered User Dorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2006
    Posts
    190
    It doesn't "mess up appointments." Entries are stored in GMT time and they just get displayed to the user one way or the other based on what timezone they are using. Changing the timezone on my PDA will have zero effect on my Exchange appointments. The GMT time stays the same.

    So if I am in Central time and have a noon meeting and go to the East coast, wouldn't you want your device to have the correct time where you are located so you get a reminder for your meeting at the right time?

    Treo 700wx's had an option to adjust timezone automagicly. It was called something like "Use Network Time Zone." Samsung, or Verizon for whatever reason chose not to have that option.
    Last edited by Dorf; 11-30-2007 at 01:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2006
    Location
    arlington, va
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    So if I am in Central time and have a noon meeting and go to the East coast, wouldn't you want your device to have the correct time where you are located so you get a reminder for your meeting at the right time?
    It will still go off at the correct time. The current time and the alarm will just be displayed as ET (1:00p) instead of CT (12:00p).

    You are correct, though, that changing the time zone does not affect the times of your appointments.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-28-2007
    Posts
    428
    No, but it does affect the setting of appointments. For instance, if you live in the Eastern time zone, but while in the Central time zone, your wife tells you you have a dinner tomorrow at 7 at home and you put it in without adjusting in your head, you will have put it in for the currently set time zone.

    Or if when in EST, you set a noon CST appointment for noon, when you move, it will show as 11:00, unless you have set it for 1:00 in your current time zone. Can get confusing. I think the most recent version of outlook lets you specify the time zone for a meeting time, which should help. Don't know how well that syncs to Mobile.

  7. #7
    Registered User Dorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2006
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    It will still go off at the correct time. The current time and the alarm will just be displayed as ET (1:00p) instead of CT (12:00p).

    Heh... oh yeah.. I'm a little slow on Fridays.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2007
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    It doesn't "mess up appointments." Entries are stored in GMT time and they just get displayed to the user one way or the other based on what timezone they are using. Changing the timezone on my PDA will have zero effect on my Exchange appointments. The GMT time stays the same.
    Ah, that's how you would EXPECT them to design it, right?
    Maybe that's how you would design an appointment system?

    At Microsoft, they embrace local time through and through, from the BIOS to exchange. GMT and UTC are some kind of punishable witchcraft in Redmond.

    Seriously, the whole timezone fiasco with Exchange? That's because the appointment times really ARE stored in local time! Linux, MacOS, and any sane OS keeps a UTC clock internally and displays appropriately for the user. MS even stores Local Time in the file timestamps, so the age of the file depends on where it was created. Completely nuts.

    So when you change the timezone on your phone, it has to patch up all the appointment times to reflect the new offsets. This is why you get that nutty dialog "Are you SURE?" popup.

    If everything was UTC-based, it would be a no-brainer. As it is, Microsoft still has their heads in the sand for mobile users. Sucks, but apparently it runs deep.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2006
    Location
    arlington, va
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Loop View Post
    Ah, that's how you would EXPECT them to design it, right?
    Maybe that's how you would design an appointment system?

    At Microsoft, they embrace local time through and through, from the BIOS to exchange. GMT and UTC are some kind of punishable witchcraft in Redmond.

    Seriously, the whole timezone fiasco with Exchange? That's because the appointment times really ARE stored in local time! Linux, MacOS, and any sane OS keeps a UTC clock internally and displays appropriately for the user. MS even stores Local Time in the file timestamps, so the age of the file depends on where it was created. Completely nuts.

    So when you change the timezone on your phone, it has to patch up all the appointment times to reflect the new offsets. This is why you get that nutty dialog "Are you SURE?" popup.

    If everything was UTC-based, it would be a no-brainer. As it is, Microsoft still has their heads in the sand for mobile users. Sucks, but apparently it runs deep.
    I'm not sure where you got that information, but Outlook uses UTC:
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

    loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation');Q: How is the target time zone reflected in Outlook items?

    A: Single-instance appointments are stored in UTC. The UTC time is determined by the computer that is used to create the appointment. Versions of Outlook that are earlier than Outlook 2007 do not indicate in which time zone an appointment is created.

    Note Outlook 2007 does store target time zone information about single-instance appointments.

    Recurring appointments have the full-time zone definition embedded in the data. Therefore, no additional data is required to compute time zone definition and DST transition dates.

  10. #10
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    On the clock, there's now a setting for a timezone that you're visiting--don't know if that helps on this issue.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-10-2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159
    Unfortunately, you have to know the time zone you're in before the visiting timezone feature is useful.

    I have the same problem as the OP in that in my travel, I don't necessarily know the time zone of my point of arrival... especially if it's near the boundary of another timezone.

    Wish WM6 had the option of showing time based on the local cell.

    The only viable option I see is to use the 2 timezone function and set the 2nd to London (Z or UTC). But it doesn't help for the local time when you visit multiple time zones in one day.

  12. #12
    Pretty Good Member
    Join Date
    10-23-2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Unfortunately, you have to know the time zone you're in before the visiting timezone feature is useful.

    I have the same problem as the OP in that in my travel, I don't necessarily know the time zone of my point of arrival... especially if it's near the boundary of another timezone.

    Wish WM6 had the option of showing time based on the local cell.

    The only viable option I see is to use the 2 timezone function and set the 2nd to London (Z or UTC). But it doesn't help for the local time when you visit multiple time zones in one day.
    I think it just makes it slightly easier and less mistake prone to schedule appointments for when you'll be back home.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    Perhaps I'm being dense, but if you're traveling, can't you look up the time zone before you leave? Or use the time announcement that the flight crew announces when you land to confirm what time zone you're in? Or a clock in the airport?

    Not trying to be snarky, but any of the above would allow you to figure out what time zone you're in without too much trouble and adjust the phone settings accordingly. The only issue you might have would be whether the place you're in recognizes DST, which you could also learn ahead of time.

    It seems to me that for this to be a major problem, you'd have to be surprised about what your destination was once you got on the plane.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-10-2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159
    Actually, as another professional pilot... and one that flies charter, I may end up in the boonies somewhere. May hit multiple destinations in one day... and they all may be in different time zones. Can be tough to tell what time zone you're in.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    If it's really an issue, I'd suggest investing in something like SPB Time. You can look up cities by country, city, or zip code and it then adjust time zones as you see fit. The today plugin also lets you show the time from one of four pre-configured cities or local time.

    For a small investment, you'd make your life a great deal simpler (plus pick up a far more functional set of alarms, which might come in handy in that line of work as well).

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2007
    Posts
    102
    I think the point is that other (non-WM) Verizon phones automatically get the correct time for the area you are in. The i760 does not, and I miss it.

    There are workarounds, sure, but it was nice to actually use my phone to tell me what timezone I was in, especially while driving interstate where there is no pilot to announce the switch.

    It should be an option, really. All the information is there.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-24-2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,290
    On my TyTn II, this is a setting under Settings-Personal-Phone. Is that not present on the i760 (I'm asking honestly - I don't own one).

    The reason it can be "bad" for PDA phones is that the towers don't broadcast the time zone, just the time. If you aren't tracking a calendar, having the time shift automatically is OK. But if I go from Pacific to Eastern, my clock changes, and my calendar doesn't shift due to the change in time zones, I'm now off by 3 hours for all appointments. I don't believe the towers report the offset from UTC when they report the time, so the phone can't automatically adjust those.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-09-2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads (SE Virginia)
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    On my TyTn II, this is a setting under Settings-Personal-Phone. Is that not present on the i760 (I'm asking honestly - I don't own one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Loop View Post
    I think the point is that other (non-WM) Verizon phones automatically get the correct time for the area you are in. The i760 does not, and I miss it.

    There are workarounds, sure, but it was nice to actually use my phone to tell me what timezone I was in, especially while driving interstate where there is no pilot to announce the switch.

    It should be an option, really. All the information is there.
    I've been with VZW for so long that I don't recall how other providers worked in this regard!

    So, are you guys saying that other phones/cell providers can automatically update not just the time, but the time zone as well? And that VZW doesn't implement it for some reason?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-25-2007
    Posts
    524
    PerfAlbion, yes it is an option, but with PDA phones, the option is only a reflection of the zip code you input when you activated the phone, with WM phones, it does not change as you change time zones.

    Dzanda, Verizon does it too, but there is no option to do so on PDA phones...again, because if it did, it would cause problems with appointment times and such because they do not get adjusted when the clock does.

  20. #20
    BCB
    BCB is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-02-2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    I am a pilot, so I travel different time zones a lot.
    I know on my old razor phone, the time was updated based on the tower I was using , so I always had the correct time based on the time zone I am in.

    With this phone, I noticed it has no effect what time zone or tower I am using, it stays with my Central time. This is a really big "NEGATIVE" with this phone. Is there any way to fix this so it updates based on the cell tower like most cell phones?
    If you want the phone to use a cell tower, select Start > Settings > Phone > Services > Networks [Change Settings] and choose "Auto" Time Setting. Is that what you're looking for?

    Maybe this still doesn't change if you change time zones, I haven't tried it yet.



    Brian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts