+ Reply to Thread

How to Delete all Contacts on i760?

Hi, I need to delete all contacts on my i760 and NOT on my PC. I can't figure out how to do it. I do not currently sync so it will not affect my PC files nor do I want it to.

I want to start syncing but my PC is up to date and my i760 is not and I don't want duplicates and emoze does not have an averwrite PPC function on first sync (I don't think it does).

Also, I'd prefer NOT to hard reset and I have Searched these forums.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you are given the option to overwrite or merge the contacts on your phone when you setup a new partnership. Assuming you don't want to do that...

One option is to delete PIM.VOL. Search around and you will find some directions for that. However, that deletes all of your PIM data (tasks/appointments/etc.).

I know you said you don't want to do it on your PC, but you could create a new Profile in Outlook, sync to that, delete the contacts on the PC, sync to remove from your phone, then delete the partnership and the Profile. Now your phone has no contacts.

There are least two ways to do what you are trying to do. The first is to buy a copy of SK-Tools (or use the trial version). It's a great program that has a bunch of tools. One of those tools allows you to delete your PIM data selectively. That is, you can tell it to delete all contacts, all appointments, and/or all tasks. This is the method I used when I needed to resync my i730 with my PC.

The second method that is available to WM6 users is to open ActiveSync on the WM6 device. First, go to Menu-->Schedule and set the "Sync during" to "Manually" for both Peak and Off-peak times and then tap "OK." Second, go to Menu-->Options. Because you say you are not currently syncing your i760 with your PC, the box next to Contacts should not be checked. Tap the box so that Contacts is checked. Now tap "OK." At this point, it should give you a message that it is going to erase all the contacts on your i760, which is what you want. Now, double-check your contacts to make sure they have been erased. If so, go back to the Menu-->Schedule and reset the schedule to however you had it set originally.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    I'm pretty sure you are given the option to overwrite or merge the contacts on your phone when you setup a new partnership. Assuming you don't want to do that...

One option is to delete PIM.VOL. Search around and you will find some directions for that. However, that deletes all of your PIM data (tasks/appointments/etc.).

I know you said you don't want to do it on your PC, but you could create a new Profile in Outlook, sync to that, delete the contacts on the PC, sync to remove from your phone, then delete the partnership and the Profile. Now your phone has no contacts.
    Nope, with WM6, you are no longer given the option to merge the contacts. When you tell ActiveSync to sync contacts, it deletes whatever contacts are on the mobile device.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Nope, with WM6, you are no longer given the option to merge the contacts. When you tell ActiveSync to sync contacts, it deletes whatever contacts are on the mobile device.
    That's true for Exchange sync, but is it also true when syncing directly to Outlook? I haven't sync'd directly with Outlook in years, so I don't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    That's true for Exchange sync, but is it also true when syncing directly to Outlook? I haven't sync'd directly with Outlook in years, so I don't recall.
    Good point. I have been syncing with Exchange so long myself that I forgot about the Outlook option. Therefore, please modify my previous response so it begins "I think" instead of "Nope."
    -Jay

Thumbs up Got it! - Thanks

Thanks everyone, the easist was to stop syncing, delete (I renamed) the PIM.VOL file which was located in my root My Device level folder, and restart syncing (I use Emoze). Once it restarted it saw no PIM file and created everything from scratch.

I learned through this another way, for those who use emoze, is to simply go to emoze main screen, select Settings, Login tab, and select the Switch Service mode button. It basically re-initiates all your links to your server and erases all your old files first. While this was fine for me because I didn't mind losing all my calendar, contacts, and emails on my PPC it might be to severe for others.

You could also use the utilities in Pocket Informant, if you use that... its under Menu>tools and settings>Utilities or something like that...
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Okay. But what if I want to get rid of my phone #?

I'm selling my i760 on ebay. I did a hard reset and wiped the memory card, but my phone number is still in the phone. How can I get rid of this? What do other people do when they sell their phones? I've searched this forum but just don't seem to be having any luck with this one.