+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hello? Is this thing on?

Soft Resets & Hard Resets

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems.

I'm usually having to do a soft reset on my unit problem twice a day because it just seems to stop responding - for example, i can hear a sound like a new email has arrived etc, i'm press the top button to bring the unit to life and click on unlock, nothing happens, if i flip the keyboard open, the screen will flip but i'm still unable to lock.

The only applications I have on the unit are the following:-

spb pocket plus 4.01
    spb phone suite 1.1.1
    Weatherpanel

I've heard users are having issues with pp so i'm not sure if that's the cause.

This morning, after checking my appointments for the day, i tried to go back to the today screen and it was slow in returning, so after a while, i did the soft reset again. On restarting, it came up with an error that 'obigosvc.exe' had caused a problem and will be closed, again the unit was slow and when it did respond to commands, it came up with a pop up saying that voice command had shutdown and needed to be restarted.

Even when i removed the above programs from the remove applications, it still would not work correctly and i had to do a hard reset just to get rid of the slowness and the error messages.

This is the second hard reset, the first was in hope of fixing the large number of soft resets.

Can anyone think of anything?

Thx in advance.

I've head horror stories with the recent SPB products. After this 2nd hard reset try not to install either of the SPB apps. If your phone doesn't lock up any more, then you've found the issue.

If it continues to lock up, it might be a hardware issue.

Hello? Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by KINetics View Post
    I've head horror stories with the recent SPB products. After this 2nd hard reset try not to install either of the SPB apps. If your phone doesn't lock up any more, then you've found the issue.

If it continues to lock up, it might be a hardware issue.
    It's been one day without any of those applications and i haven't had to reset the unit once....

So i'm maybe thinking of going with phonealarm instead of spb phone suite because i really need those notices when i miss a call etc.

FWIW, I'm running both PocketPlus and PhoneSuite without any problems. Could it be a conflict with Weatherpanel? You might try running your i760 with PocketPlus and PhoneSuite but without Weatherpanel.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Hello? Is this thing on?
    After the last hard reset, all i've installed is phone suite and not plus or the weatherpanel and i've only had to reset the unit 2 or 3 times but i have a feeling that there's a hardware issue with the unit because it will freeze up after a call and it will take a while for it to come back to life.

Verizon have agreed to replace it with a new unit but everywhere is out of stock.....

If you have a microSD card installed, try removing it and using your i760 without the microSD card for a couple of days. As I seem to recall, some folks had similar problems with the i730 that were cured by removed the SD card.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Hello? Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    If you have a microSD card installed, try removing it and using your i760 without the microSD card for a couple of days. As I seem to recall, some folks had similar problems with the i730 that were cured by removed the SD card.

Thanks for the advice, i'll try that - currently i have a sandisk 2gb installed. I'll report back my findings.

Also, do you think that could be causing my other issue posted here:-

Is this normal? Mobile Toolbar

Hello? Is this thing on?
    Nope, ran the unit without the SD card today and I had to reset the unit probably about 3 times because it would not allow me to access applications, like email or calendar.

I am having these exact same problems. I have SPB PocketPlus, Diary, and Phone Suite. I really like the programs... but after multiple soft resets and two hard resets, and a wife who really wants me to stop playing with my phone every night... I did not re-install them after the last hard reset. I feel like I am using a whole new phone (faster and stable). Verizon is set to give me a new phone but can't even order it due to the lack of inventory. However, I'm not sure if I'll need it if the phone continues to work like it is without the SPB programs. Maybe I'll try pocketbreeze and phone alarm. I'm surprised nobody else is having these problems.
    converging can be hard...

I just looked at your other post. That happens to me too! I think I will take Verizon up on the offer of a new phone once the new inventory is in... just in case.

I have messed with SPB stuff for a while.,.. It seems that the latest couple of betas for PocketPlus do have a problem with i760... It was becoming impossibly sluggish. Howeverm after dropping back to the latest official release (4.0.1) of PocketPlus, still with the latest betas of Phone Suite, Diary, Weather, Time, etc., the phone is behaving exemplarily well...

I use the most current, non-beta versions of Spb... Pocket Plus, Phone Suite, Backup, Time and Weather. I have had no lock-ups of my phone in 3 weeks of use. Make sure you have the current release from the website, don't use the beta's and install all of your "active" programs in Main Memory.

I have tons of other stuff loaded on this phone and have had no lock-up problems. My i730 locked up several times a day.

My other software includes:

sdhc.dll - 4GB Sandisk microSD
    Agile Messenger
    Webcamera Plus
    Slingplayer
    mNotes (push email for Notes)
    Resco - everything
    PDANet
    Salling Clicker
    Easy Sync
    Memmaid
    RealOne Player
    TCPMP
    Workbook
    Pocket World
    Pocket Stars
    Bluetooth Earset - Plantronics 855
    Bluetooth GPS - Mini Freedom
    Bluetooth Activesync
    ...and a bunch of other more passive stuff

....no lockups.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugrat View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems.

I'm usually having to do a soft reset on my unit problem twice a day because it just seems to stop responding - for example, i can hear a sound like a new email has arrived etc, i'm press the top button to bring the unit to life and click on unlock, nothing happens, if i flip the keyboard open, the screen will flip but i'm still unable to lock.

The only applications I have on the unit are the following:-

spb pocket plus 4.01
    spb phone suite 1.1.1
    Weatherpanel

I'm running the same programs and I don't have any lockups. Maybe it's one of your settings?

No problems here with the Pocket Plus, Phone Suite and Diary running. Funny thing is that in the last two days my battery life has gotten better. Go figure.

Hello? Is this thing on?
    I think it's more the unit then it is the applications because even with nothing installed it would still lock up on calls and i would need to reset 2 or 3 times a day.

I went to the store where i purchased the unit today and they could me that it might be about three weeks before i get a new phone, so i swapped it for the vx6800 because i need a working phone for business.

I'll install all those applications again and i'll report my findings.

Thats funny because Verizon Tech support is shipping me a new i-760 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by robgora View Post
    Cross your fingers!

I received this from SPB and tried it (to help them out more than anything) and so far no problems (1/2 day). Hopefully it works because I really like the way my phone is set up right now. In addition to the new version of pocket plus he notes, there is a new version of the phone suite too. My registration key worked on both updates.

Oops. Here is what he had to say:

one more request. Please install Spb Pocket Plus 4.0.2, it's available at our website:
    Download - Spb Pocket Plus - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House

Install it and add cprog.exe and poutlook.exe files (both from the \Windows\ folder) to the list of exceptions in Spb Pocket Plus's Close Button settings. Remove all the indicators (at least storage card) from the today plugin, soft-reset your device and check if it works stable after that. If it doesn't help, I'll provide you with refund with no more questions.

The point is that we receive many reports about problems with Spb Pocket Plus on your device. Unfortunately, we don't have such a device at our office that is why your experience is really important for us. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions. You can always refer to this ticket using this link:

Hello? Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by robgora View Post
    Bought mine at a store so i couldn't get it exchange from the 'online' verizon.

Hello? Is this thing on?
    So far, i've installed pocket plus, phone suite and weatherpanel and in the last 24 hours, i've had no issues, no resets, no screen refresh issues.

So i think it was just my unit and i'm sure its not a i760 issue just as the others are saying that it's working without any problems on their units.