+ Reply to Thread

General backup ?

How do 3rd party backup programs like Sprite or spb work? Do they give the option to backup to your PC?

Looking at this page, the only difference between Sprite and the Lite version seems to be Desktop based backup and Remote Restore options?

Not sure what the Desktop based backup difference means.

If you don't have a storage card (microSD), can you still perform a backup? I would think the programs would give the option of where to backup to, but that comparison is confusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    How do 3rd party backup programs like Sprite or spb work? Do they give the option to backup to your PC?

Looking at this page, the only difference between Sprite and the Lite version seems to be Desktop based backup and Remote Restore options?

Not sure what the Desktop based backup difference means.

If you don't have a storage card (microSD), can you still perform a backup? I would think the programs would give the option of where to backup to, but that comparison is confusing to me.
    Sprite comes with a PC based agent that will allow you to create/store the phone backup on your PC. Spb backup does not. I use Spb Backup to backup to my storage card. I then use Easy Sync to sync the contents of my storage card to my PC (which then includes the phone backup). Spb backup runs by schedule during the night and Easy Sync syncs continually when attached to the PC so I never have to mess with any of it. And of course, you should insure that your PC is backed up on a regular basis.

I think it is important to have a daily backup of the phone and storage card stored on the PC. If your phone is lost, damaged or stolen, or if you just screw something up, you can totally recover to your current phone or a new one from backup.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    Sprite comes with a PC based agent that will allow you to create/store the phone backup on your PC. ..
    Is that true of Sprite Lite too?

Thanks for the info.

Assuming that Sprite Full allows backup to the PC and that Sprite Lite and SPB Backup only allow backup to a storage card, the latter seems pretty limiting. No?

If you lose the phone, you've also lost your backup. Or am I missing something?

I guess I don't understand the need for a 2nd application to backup to the PC (easysync, as mentioned above).

Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Assuming that Sprite Full allows backup to the PC and that Sprite Lite and SPB Backup only allow backup to a storage card, the latter seems pretty limiting. No?

If you lose the phone, you've also lost your backup. Or am I missing something?

I guess I don't understand the need for a 2nd application to backup to the PC (easysync, as mentioned above).
    While the PC backup offers the best security, I have not needed to use a copy from the PC to restore. My reasons for restoring have resulted from something going horribly wrong with the phone that required a hard reset (e.g. I installed a nasty program or screwed up a registry hack). The storage card has always remained uneffected. The PC backup is useful if you no longer have the phone in your possession and need to recover to a new phone. Even though Spb Backup doesn't have the PC agent, it is still easy to simply use explorer to copy the backed up file to your PC.

You will have far more need to recover the phone (or individual files) from issues other than losing the phone.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Agreed on the recovery needs. And that's my primary requirement. I'm surprised that choice of where to backup is not a common feature in existing products (with the exception of the full Sprite).

That's helps me clarify my needs better.