+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

slingbox for the i760

i installed it, but im guessing i need a slingbox at home?

can i just use any feed? if so where do i find them?

Quote Originally Posted by tackle View Post
    i installed it, but im guessing i need a slingbox at home?

can i just use any feed? if so where do i find them?
    You need either to have your own Slingbox or to have a friend who's willing to let you stream from his/her Slingbox. Each Slingbox has its own identification number and password; without these two pieces of information, you can't access a Slingbox.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

If you're on the fence about it . . . i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a Slingbox. It's probably one of the best investments that I've made. And they are cheap $100-$200 depending on where you buy and what model you go with. I have a cable box in my home office that is dedicated to the Slingbox. Can't get any better than being forced to shop with your wife and you can watch the football/baseball games while walking through the mall or supermarket.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I agree the best sw ever!

I bought the Sling Tuner.
    It is the bottom of the line with just basic cable capabilities.
    Look on Amazon or ebay. I got mine for under $100.00.

Mark

I used mine with my Q, haven't downloaded and purchased PPC version for i760, but plan to do so real soon as I miss my Slingplayer.

Does anyone know if they've fixed it yet to work with the horizontal screen on the i760?

Little OT.

When you are watching on your phone, what happens to the feed at home? Is that cable box locked on whatever you are watching on the phone? What about if it's a dual tuner cable box?

Is anyone running into trouble with the 5gb VZW data limit?

got my slingy tuner for 30 bucks at work when we clearenced them out. Works great for sitting in panera and watching football. If you get it just make sure you use an address to connect instead of the finder ID so verizon doesn't get a big red flag about streaming media. Wouldn't want to go against the crazy vcast machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder.45 View Post
    Little OT.

When you are watching on your phone, what happens to the feed at home? Is that cable box locked on whatever you are watching on the phone? What about if it's a dual tuner cable box?
    The Slingbox streams whatever video it receives from your source. If your cable box can send one feed to the Slingbox (via composite, component, or s-vid) and display another feed to your TV, then you get two displayed feeds.

However, while my cable box also has two tuners to record any two given feeds, it (and I'm guessing many like it) can only display one feed at any given time. So for me, the video on my Sling player is the same video that's displayed on my TV.

When I'm not driving my primary car with XM, I stream sling in my car on the way to work, and listen (not watch) CNBC.

It does appear to drain the battery when you watch or listen, but having mobile access to sling really makes it much more valuable IMO. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by buxleyp View Post
    The Slingbox streams whatever video it receives from your source. If your cable box can send one feed to the Slingbox (via composite, component, or s-vid) and display another feed to your TV, then you get two displayed feeds.

However, while my cable box also has two tuners to record any two given feeds, it (and I'm guessing many like it) can only display one feed at any given time. So for me, the video on my Sling player is the same video that's displayed on my TV.
    I have the original, SlingBox "Classic" which has a TV tuner built into it. I split the cable with one side going to the cable box and the other to the SlingBox. When I don't want to change the channel on someone watching at home, I change the video input selection in the mobile player to the internal, analog tuner. I can then watch basic cable stations without messing with the home viewer.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

That's a good point jfourman. I forgot the classic has a built-in tuner.

Looking at Sling's site, it looks like the classic is no longer available, but the Pro has a built-in tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisgood_nj1 View Post
    When I'm not driving my primary car with XM, I stream sling in my car on the way to work, and listen (not watch) CNBC.

It does appear to drain the battery when you watch or listen, but having mobile access to sling really makes it much more valuable IMO. Well worth it.
    Go to the Menu and Player Mode and choose audio only. It will reduce the bandwidth and processor power. I installed Handymenu to turn off the screen while slinging audio.

Hobby of the week-aholic
    So with the slingbox if I am watching a football game while out and about on my phone and someone is at home and changes the channel on the cable box, will that change what I am watching remotely?

Also, I use Verizon FIOS tv. The slingbox site says that the Slingbox Tuner works with basic cable or an antenna. Would it also work with FIOS TV? I dont know if there's any difference in the tuners in a standard cable box and a fios box.

This sounds like something I really want but I would need to be able to watch something remotely and independently of what may be watched in the house at the same time. Seems inevitable to me that my fiance will at some times be home and watching the TV when I'm out or working and want to watch the slingbox at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by edge8402 View Post
    got my slingy tuner for 30 bucks at work when we clearenced them out. Works great for sitting in panera and watching football. If you get it just make sure you use an address to connect instead of the finder ID so verizon doesn't get a big red flag about streaming media. Wouldn't want to go against the crazy vcast machine.
    Where are you getting your address from?
    Do you have a service or a dedicated IP Address?

I used a Dynamic DNS program and service. It's free and not hard to do.
    DynDNS -- Dynamic DNS, E-Mail Delivery and Other Services
    Then you can just point the slingplayer to the address do a little port forwarding and your good to go.

Then you can just point the slingplayer to the address do a little port forwarding and your good to go.
    Thanks....

Do you or anyone know of a Cable modem router devices with embedded DDNS clients.

I currenlty have a Linksys WCG200 cable modem but it does not have built in DDNS client.

I cant rely on a PC to always be on and connected to the network at home to install Software Update Client from DynDNS -- Dynamic DNS, E-Mail Delivery and Other Services

Thanks

Mark

Linksys WRT54G supporst DDNS clients. It's a great router and can be found for under $50.

Quote Originally Posted by CTNewb View Post
    Linksys WRT54G supporst DDNS clients. It's a great router and can be found for under $50.
    oh sorry i'm looking for a wireless Cable model.

I think I will just use the update client solution.

Thanks

Mark