+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sync with Linux

Sync with Linux

After a search on the web, it seems that I am dead in the water. While there were some hacks for WM5 sync with Linux applications (i.e. Evolution), there is nothing for WM6. I am ready to cry.

If there is anyone who knows how to do this, please advise!

Ethan

SAMSUNG SCH-i760/Verizon

I'd love to see this too. Unfortunately there's no easy option right now. Currently the only way to sync a Windows Mobile device with linux that I'm aware of is to use a combination of Multisync and SynCE (two linux programs). These programs allow you to sync Evolution data with the Pocket Outlook programs contained on your Windows Mobile device but at their current stage of development they are not user friendly at all. If you're interested, I wrote about using these programs on my blog:

Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine Expert: Ben Stanley - A New Adventure! Windows Mobile and Ubuntu Linux

Furthermore, I've heard that they don't work with Windows Mobile 6.

I don't know what distro you use but I use Ubuntu have argued for this ability on the
    Ubuntu forums (here: The Need for Windows Mobile Support - Ubuntu Forums ).

I really hope someone does something to make this possible. I'm sure they will, the question is when. I would switch to Linux permanently (or mostly permanently) iif I could do this.

Actually I read your blog as well. It is a pity you are "on vacation" -- I hope you return soon into blogging. Long time reader, never poster

I truly don't understand what the problem is. Ii would assume that it is as simple as exporting the WM6 contents and then loading them back up to any Linux distribution. Clearly not the case.

I also saw your posting on the Ubuntu forum and the replies by a guy from Conduit/SyncCE but I have been unable to see if they are actually making any progress. Lingered on their site for an IRC session but no cigar.

I was even thinking of contacting rentacoder.com and see if they would be any volunteers to do it. I would have hoped to get donations from the community to support such project. (a good blog ...like yours could get people to donate for the cause )

I am also now considering a Linux-based smartphone but I am not optimistic that Verizon (the only descent wireless network provider in Maryland) will support it.

Life should be easier...

Since you are using evolution, I'm thinking you might have an MS exchange backend or compatible email server (evolution is such a bloated app - I regularly see it using over 500MB of ram, if I didn't need to access exchange, I'd use a different client). Then it is a simple matter to set up activesync on your samsung to point to your exchange OTA / OWA. Everything then syncs perfectly, contacts, shared calendars, personal calendar, email etc.

Works perfectly for me in that mode. I'm using Solaris as desktop, but it has evolution with exchange connector bundled in, and it works the same as ubuntu in that regard.

You could also setup a scalix server (it can actually run on your linux desktop pc) at home: Scalix: Community: Community Edition

Activesync on your pocket pc will think it is a MS exchange server and keep everything in sync. Then on your linux desktop you use evolution too or a pop or imap client (imap is good that way you dont remove the emails from the server). You can then sync from the outside if you have a static ip or using a dynamic dns service, through EVDO, or if you are in your house, through wifi - as long as you have your internal dns setup right).

I like the server as a separate entity, that way it is easier to back up and restore, and you can upgrade your desktop /laptop and not have to move all your personal info, since it is all on the server.

Francois

bethafin: Thank you for the kind words about my blog =)

I think the SynCE people are making progress but it is still a long way from fruition. If there were some sort of concerted effort to develop a program that would do what we're looking for I would definitely support it as much as possible. But I wonder if starting from scratch would really be more productive than waiting for SynCE mature. I can't see how it would?

As much as it pains me, I think we're just going to have to wait a little while.

I too am intrigued by the Linux-based phones but am not optimistic about their widespread acceptance either. Furthermore, I'll be reluctant to switch to ANY mobile OS until there are a lot of third party apps available for it, which probably means waiting for a while before seriously considering a linux-based phone.

Plus, unlike some, I really like the Windows Mobile OS. It's great if one has basic knowledge of computers and wants to do computer-ish things with one's phone; it's not so great if you're a monkey who just wants four or five bright buttons and only needs to do one or two things with your phone.

fdion:I appreciate the ideas but I don't think I have the know-how required to do either of those things. I don't use an exchange server on my phone, etc.