+ Reply to Thread

QR Code reader for i760?

(Wiki page for QR codes in general: QR Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The recent article on Slashdot has renewed my interest in finding a QR decoder for the i760.
    Slashdot | QR Codes - Internet to Cell Phone via Camera

So far, the only one I've been able to run is i-nigma from http://i-nigma.mobi/.
    This works well on their test patterns, but it seems customized to their own things as it's not able to read URLs or vcards from the widespread Japanese QR codes.

QuickMark looks pretty advanced, but isn't publishing anything for i730/i760:
    QuickMark Mobile Barcode - Web Site QuickMark

There is an effort by Semacode to create a free client, but it's Java only:
    Semacode | URL barcodes | practical ubiquitous computing

There is a persistent rumor that one of the (Japanese?) QR code readers has been lifted from an HTC phone and found to be fairly portable to other WM6 phones. Can anyone confirm?

The other problem is that that i760 has miserable camera focus closer than five feet or so. There is no Macro mode that I can find.

Might have to add an intermediate lens to read these codes.

I had some success taking the QR codes off a business card, photocopying it up to 400% size, and then shooting it from further away. Read just fine. So it does appear to be an optical focus problem.