+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

piscel browser vs. internet explorer

who prefers which for viewing web pages, and why?

what are your pros and cons of each?

For viewing web pages I prefer the picsel browser the finger scrolling and zoom capabilities are excellent. Rendering of pages is excellent as well. If I need to download something, I will use PIE as picsel tends to not know what to do with downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgalis View Post
    who prefers which for viewing web pages, and why?

what are your pros and cons of each?
    I am using PIE with add-on PIEplus. I have found Picsel Browser very confusing to use and can't find anything concerning user instructions that is helpful. Among the difficulties, I try to scroll and it zooms the picture too large.
    PIEplus helps ease PIE shortcomings enough that I now prefer it over Picsel Browser.
    One of these days I'm going to try Opera.

I use PIE when I want to do things like check sports scores on ESPN mobile... Otherwise I use Opera Mini all the way. Been using it for a few weeks and I just love it.

I'm with wherrell.. I can't figure my way around Picsel, and always seem to activate the wrong control.

If you hold the stylus down, you get this flower of controls after a while, and that just seems tedious.

Is it really that hard to make a full-page web browser that just lets you scroll and zoom? I would pay $$ for Safari ported to WM6.

I will admit, figuring out picsel took a little bit of effort. Here are the tricks I use. The control flower can be brought up at any time by clicking the little picsel icon in the lower right. if you then click anywhere else on the screen (not on one of the icons, picsel will keep a zoom bar on the left that you can grab to zoom in and out, and on the bottom you will have a very tiny representation of your current page in the center and a representation of your previous page to the left. You can use these to go back by clicking on the image of your previous page or navigate quickly to some other part of your current page by clicking on the tiny icon of your current page. If you prefer to use the full screen without the sliders, double-tap-drag, zooms in and out (this takes a little practice), or you can map your dpad up/down to zoom in/out in the preferences. moving around is a simple as dragging our finger or stylus, just don't double-tap.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    I am using PIE with add-on PIEplus. ... PIEplus helps ease PIE shortcomings enough that I now prefer it over Picsel Browser.
    What additional things do you get with PIEplus? The developer told me that it wasn't compatible with WM6Pro so I haven't played around with it yet. Obviously, it must be mostly compatible or you wouldn't be using it. Many of the previous advantages of PIEplus have already been incorporated by the last couple of updates to WM (eg, single column view) so I'm just wondering what is left that hasn't already been incorporated. Thanks.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC1 View Post
    I will admit, figuring out picsel took a little bit of effort. Here are the tricks I use. The control flower can be brought up at any time by clicking the little picsel icon in the lower right. if you then click anywhere else on the screen (not on one of the icons, picsel will keep a zoom bar on the left that you can grab to zoom in and out, and on the bottom you will have a very tiny representation of your current page in the center and a representation of your previous page to the left. You can use these to go back by clicking on the image of your previous page or navigate quickly to some other part of your current page by clicking on the tiny icon of your current page. If you prefer to use the full screen without the sliders, double-tap-drag, zooms in and out (this takes a little practice), or you can map your dpad up/down to zoom in/out in the preferences. moving around is a simple as dragging our finger or stylus, just don't double-tap.
    I only get the zoom scrool bar if I hit the multi-color cube (flower???) in the lower right.

The biggest problem with Picsel in my experience is that it does not seem to have anything comparable to single column view. In other words, when you make the text big enough to read, you also end up having to scroll left and right to read each line of text.

I only use Picsel when I need to view non-Roman alphabets, eg, Greek, but the horizontal scrolling back and forth makes this a real PIA IMHO.

I like PIE, with SPB pocket plus you can scroll PIE with your finger, so much easier than picsel browser

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    What additional things do you get with PIEplus? The developer told me that it wasn't compatible with WM6Pro so I haven't played around with it yet. Obviously, it must be mostly compatible or you wouldn't be using it. Many of the previous advantages of PIEplus have already been incorporated by the last couple of updates to WM (eg, single column view) so I'm just wondering what is left that hasn't already been incorporated. Thanks.
    Go here ReenSoft. Version 2.2 definitely works with WM6. Multiple Tabbed browsing, screen drag (scroll without scroll bars) You can set the sensitivity to allow for screen protectors, etc., & scroll with your finger. Stepped back and forward buttons. Customize button assignments to work in the browser only. Customize action of the D-pad--you can set to page up--down(May not work if you are already using AEB+). Full screen mode. New toolbar. I was able to upgrade for half price since I had used an old version back on my Dell Axim X-5. I don't really remember now what PIE was like without the Plus. Just know I really like the Plus and price was cheap.

"WM2003SE fanatic..." RedBaronK's Avatar
    I wish that picsel has a windows IE style address bar so that I can enter the web address easily without having to bring up the control flower..... that coupled with Picsel's zoom and zoom out capabilities would make a formidable browser. Basically a IE with picsel's zoom and zoom out is what I am looking for. IE sux because I feel that they do a terrible job cramming everything into one screen and the loading sometimes hangs (maybe a CPU throttleneck? or connection throttleneck? anyone have a clue why the loading stops?) opera i never even heard of it till now, perhaps thats a better alternative?

my phone kept on hanging when I was trying to load morningstar.com today with a client... it was so damned annoying
    Mr. Belding's on speed dial #3, right after Screech.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Go here ReenSoft. Version 2.2 definitely works with WM6. Multiple Tabbed browsing, screen drag (scroll without scroll bars) You can set the sensitivity to allow for screen protectors, etc., & scroll with your finger. Stepped back and forward buttons. Customize button assignments to work in the browser only. Customize action of the D-pad--you can set to page up--down(May not work if you are already using AEB+). Full screen mode. New toolbar. I was able to upgrade for half price since I had used an old version back on my Dell Axim X-5. I don't really remember now what PIE was like without the Plus. Just know I really like the Plus and price was cheap.
    Thanks. What do you mean by stepped back & forward buttons? How is the full screen mode different from what was inorporated into WM 2003 SE and later versions?

I dug up the email I got from ReenSoft:

Hi,

PIEPlus is not fully compatible with WM6. Most features works well
    with WM6. But, D-Pad and User Agent settings do not work with WM6. I
    have a plan to fix it.

Thank you for contacting us and feel free to contact us if you have any
    question

---
    ReenSoft Support

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronK View Post
    I wish that picsel has a windows IE style address bar so that I can enter the web address easily without having to bring up the control flower..... that coupled with Picsel's zoom and zoom out capabilities would make a formidable browser. Basically a IE with picsel's zoom and zoom out is what I am looking for. IE sux because I feel that they do a terrible job cramming everything into one screen and the loading sometimes hangs (maybe a CPU throttleneck? or connection throttleneck? anyone have a clue why the loading stops?) opera i never even heard of it till now, perhaps thats a better alternative?

my phone kept on hanging when I was trying to load morningstar.com today with a client... it was so damned annoying

i tried operamini... it is easily the best. it condenses the webpages so they load faster, and cheaper if you are on a pay per mb plan.

try out the demo here... http://www.operamini.com/demo/

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I have also started to use and appreciate picsel. I have installed and tried to use Opera but I really like picsel better.

I only get the zoom scrool bar if I hit the multi-color cube (flower???) in the lower right.

The biggest problem with Picsel in my experience is that it does not seem to have anything comparable to single column view. In other words, when you make the text big enough to read, you also end up having to scroll left and right to read each line of text.

I only use Picsel when I need to view non-Roman alphabets, eg, Greek, but the horizontal scrolling back and forth makes this a real PIA IMHO.
    Next time your in Picsel, open the control box in the bottom right corner and then click the button that appears at the 12 o'clock position.

This will reload the page and force everything into a single column (it will stack images and elements of the page if it has to). The zoom level is fine for reading text and you can just scroll up or down either with your finger or with the D-pad. When in this view, you cannot scroll left or right as everything is forced into the single column.

I really like Picsel, but I've found it to be much less stable than the version I had on my i730. It's not uncommon for it to crash on me when viewing a few webcomics that I read (the tap and zoom function does works great for this). Also, just a quick tip, for some reason, the i760 version of Picsel closes when hitting the OK button but if you press the Red End Call button, it will beep and minimize the browser without closing it down (opening it again will just take you back directly where you were when hit the end call button).

Has anyone figured out why you loose the "sliding paper" feature when you open the configuration screen of picsel? This happened on the i730 as well and only a hard reset would fix it.

To get the zoom scroll bar to stay after bringing up the control flower, click in the dark grey area at the bottom of the screen, this will dismiss the control flower and keep the scroll bars in place. I use this mode mostly for the easy forward and back navigation.

As mentioned earlier, the icon at 12:00 o'clock toggles single column mode.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridandy View Post
    Next time your in Picsel, open the control box in the bottom right corner and then click the button that appears at the 12 o'clock position.

This will reload the page and force everything into a single column (it will stack images and elements of the page if it has to). The zoom level is fine for reading text and you can just scroll up or down either with your finger or with the D-pad. When in this view, you cannot scroll left or right as everything is forced into the single column.
    That's the same as double-tapping in Safari, which works better on the iPhone because it has a larger 3.5" screen, but it's not nearly as useful as the flexibility WM allows in single column view on our smaller screens. Picsel does not allow you to change the line length by selecting larger and smaller fonts so you will often be stuck with very small fonts if you don't want to constantly scroll back and forth horizontally.

picsel cache and history

hi,

i am experimenting with picsel now. i have not found the location of the cache or history files. is there a way to store these on a storage card? i also want to have memmaid quick clean work on these files/folders, so the location is important to me.

blessings,
    daniel

That's the same as double-tapping in Safari, which works better on the iPhone because it has a larger 3.5" screen, but it's not nearly as useful as the flexibility WM allows in single column view on our smaller screens. Picsel does not allow you to change the line length by selecting larger and smaller fonts so you will often be stuck with very small fonts if you don't want to constantly scroll back and forth horizontally.
    Does the "reflow text size" in the preferences not work for you? Personally I find "small" to be readable, but if you have bad eyes, switch it to "Large".

Pretty Good Member
    Does the "reflow text size" in the preferences not work for you? Personally I find "small" to be readable, but if you have bad eyes, switch it to "Large".
    Thanks, I didn't know about that setting, but I actually had it set to large and the Greek text I'm tryng to read is just barely legible in landscape and way too small to read in portrait. Maybe I should experiment with different alphabets.