+ Reply to Thread

2 contacts, same info. phone always chooses wrong one

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and the I760. I would like to know if there is a way to set a "default" contact if 2 contacts have some of the same info. Here's my problem:

I have DH listed under 2 separate contacts, one with his name and the other as an ICE contact. Every time he calls or texts me, it comes up under the ICE contact instead of the regular one. Even if I send him a text using his regular contact entry, his reply comes back under the ICE entry. Is there anyway to change this? My Treo 700w didn't do this, so I am a bit perplexed as how to handle this. BTW, his regular entry comes before the ICE entry alphabetically. Thought that might have something to do with it at first, but it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Good question. I get this too with Caller ID when multiple contacts have a shared company line. I would rather it default to displaying the generic company contact (e.g, Incoming Call from Acme Anvils), instead of John Doe at Acme, when it might actually be another contact.

Try deleting the one you added first, then readd it... Since contacts is a database, maybe there is some Id # assigned to each contact so if there is duplicate number, it goes by the database id#??

I am totally pulling that out of my arse.. so don't expect it to work.

Actually, I tried to duplicate it myself and it pulled in the older of the two contacts. The older one came first alphabetically by last name..

EDIT: Ok, so i deleted the "good" contact and left the one on the phone that I did not want to show up. Then I added the good contact back and tried again and it still showed up with the contact I wanted. Weird.
    Last edited by Dorf; 12-04-2007 at 05:07 PM.

ok, I'll try that. I entered the one i don't want last, so i will try your suggestion.

ok, finally got to try it. I actually deleted the 2nd entry, the one I didn't want. I then reentered it and now it works beautifully. I think it may have had something to do with all the contacts being read in at the same time. It must have gone in the order the entries were read into memory instead of alphabetically.

thanks for the help

Super sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Good question. I get this too with Caller ID when multiple contacts have a shared company line. I would rather it default to displaying the generic company contact (e.g, Incoming Call from Acme Anvils), instead of John Doe at Acme, when it might actually be another contact.
    Anybody have an answer for this? I too have this problem, as most of my clients are part of 20 or 30 employee companies. I'd love it if a call coming from the "Phone" number displayed the Company Name, and a call coming from "Contact" Phone number displayed John Doe.

Quote Originally Posted by desmofan View Post
    Anybody have an answer for this? I too have this problem, as most of my clients are part of 20 or 30 employee companies. I'd love it if a call coming from the "Phone" number displayed the Company Name, and a call coming from "Contact" Phone number displayed John Doe.
    Take the shared company # out of the individual contacts. Have an entry with just the company name and number and it will use that.

That's not an option for me as many contacts are synced through a company database also. Removing the shared # from a contact either would remove it from the contact for a lot of people or else it would be replaced the next time contacts synched.