+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

computer won't recognize i760 for synch

Howdy all,
    I've been following this forum for a little while. I've owned an i700 for the past 5 years and just went out and bought the i760 last week. When I connected it to my computer via the USB cord to synch w/ Activesync 4.5, my computer would not acknowledge the connection at all.

I spent the entire weekend working on this. I was on the phone for three hours with verizon tech support at first and then was escalated to samsung tech support with no results. We finally determined that the phone was bad. So I went out on Sunday and exchanged it for a new one.

I synched this phone and it worked once (wahoo!!) however that was the only time that it worked. Every attempt after that was the exact same problem that I'd originally had with the initial i760.

I'm not quite sure what to do about it at this point. I could not find any relevant postings on this forum and I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced a similar problem.

I am running Windows XP professional and Grisoft Antivirus as well as Spy Sweeper. My computer will usually tell me that the USB device I"ve attached has malfunctioned. Sometimes it will recognize that something is plugged in however no acknowledgement of the HW device itself. It also will not find the phone when I perform a new hardware search. The one time it did recognize it and work (the first time I plugged in the second phone - with new USB cord as well) it showed the network connection was being established in the application slide tray in teh lower right part of the screen and it performed a perfect synch. Then of course, it wouldn't recognize it afterward.

I'm not sure if it's a network connection issue (Activesynch does not leave a footprint in the "network connectoin" area), a problem recognizing the USB driver for the cord, a problem with the antivirus sw or anti spyware (although I uninstalled both with no results). Or something else.

I never had this problem with my i700 and I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. I figured I'd post my experience here and see if anybody had any input. Your suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

Regards,

Eric.

You might want to try looking here for solutions:

ActiveSync Help & How Tos
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

When I was writing my post above, I had forgotten what I eventually determined to be the cause of my problem. As it turned out, it was the Cisco VPN Client I was running on my laptop. I have to disable the processes for the VPN Client in order for Activesync to get an IP for the phone. If I ever need to use the Cisco VPN Client, I temporarily restart the processes. Do you have any type of VPN or tunnel clients running? If so, try disabling them and see what happens.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Hey there Jfourman,
    Thanks for the tip, I went to check out that page, there's nothing on there which I haven't already done. Thanks for the help anyway. Yes I did have a VPN app on my computer, HOWEVER, I pulled out an old laptop and reformatted the hard drive to start from scratch. When I plugged my phone in, the computer acknowledged the new USB hardware, then it said it was working, and 10 seconds after that it gave me the Hardware malfunctioned error message again. Which was the exact same message I got when I loaded it on my regular computer as well as another laptop. After this it did not work again. This was the same reaction I got from my first i760. There's something wierd with either the phone or the USB cable (I don't think it's Active Sync because the computer needs to at least recognize the phone first doesn't it?).

This same set of events has occurred with two separate i760s on three different computers. Has anybody else experienced this problem as well?

Eric.

Yes, I have too. I have tried many different things. I will try a new cable next. No matter what I do and how many times I restart both my computer and soft reset my i760, it never works. Any suggestions?

TCM
    Same problem with a 760 bought Friday. Using the exact same setup as thrusday with the 730....

Hey fellas,
    I just got off the phone with tier 2 tech support at Samsung. As I"m at work I was not able to access my home computer however their initial suggestion was to open the device manager and click on"Network Adapters" and watch what happens when I plug in the phone.

Their thoughts are that perhaps the device driver is being placed in the wrong area when the phone initially loads. If there is an exclamation point or an "x" then there is something wrong and the driver should be disabled and then re-enabled by right clicking on it (however this is only if there is some type of activity in teh Network Adapters folder w/in Device Manager when you plug in your phone. If not, then the problem lies elsewhere.

I'll post what my results are once I get home tonight and give this a shot. I"m going to try to schedule some time during the day when I can be at home on my computer and call them to do some real troubleshooting. Let me know if this initial test works for anybody.

Eric.

When I first got mine, it wouldn't connect. Then it just started by itself. Now it connects, but always seems to take a little longer than it should. Sometimes 30 seconds. Activesync via exchange on cell broadband works great. I never had a problem with other pda's, so it must be something picky about the USB on the 760.

I opened up device manager and found nothing happening with network adapters but found this:
    Attached Images

TCM
    I fixed mine by adjusting the usb to computer settings on the phone.

ON THE PHONE: got to Start Menu - Settings - Connections (bottom right tab) - USB to PC - and make certain the "Enable advanced network funtionality" is NOT checked

Plug back into the computer. My computer recognized the phone straight away.....

I tried that too, but it still won't recognize the driver.

This issue has been a large thorn in my side and a big impediment to my enjoyment of the i760. I, too, have been down the road of Tier 2 Vzw help leading to Samsung which surprisingly ended with a shrug of the shoulders and a simple "Ok" when I indicated that my only recourse was to return the phone.

Since then I have discovered that Wireless Sync is a tolerable substitute in combination with being able to successfully Activestync with my kids' computer (which although it does not have a copy of Outlook nor any of my PIM data it at least enables me to install software to the 760).

When I connect my 760 all I get in Device Manager is a separate entry for Windows CE USB Devices that lists the Samsung MITS device, but not in association with either network or usb adapters. I've tried every sensible solution I've read about or been offered, but nothing seems to work. Disconnecting every other USB device then reinstalling AS had an interesting albeit shortlived result which was that the device connected with AS only as far as illuminating the green sys tray icon and playing the twinkle sound, but AS itself refused to open.

<<rant mode on>> One would suppose that either Samsung, Verizon or (especially) MS would be on the ball enough to acknowledge that there actually is an issue here based on the number of sync-related troubles there are as indicated on this and other PDA sites that cover this phone. This is not a minor issue, and it aggravating beyond words, made moreso because the 760 is otherwise a nearly perfect match with my needs. <<rant mode off>>

Hey all,
    Great feedback here in this thread, I am bound and determined to get down to the "gnats toes" regarding this issue. Gasmeister said it well, the i760 is otherwise a perfect match for my needs. I've tried most of (if not all) the fixes suggested with no success however it seems as if they've worked for others.

I got home last night and did what tech support suggested. What I noticed is that when I plugged in the phone, the Device Manager window registered a change in teh USB section. It added a new listing within the tree that said "Unknown Device" which lasted for the obligitory 10 seconds and then dissappeared. This happened every time. There is another thread on this forum where one of the users asked about an "x" appearing in the network connection area of the application tray on the lower right corner of the desktop. This makes me wonder if it's an issue with the computer recognizing this new network connection and perhaps misplacing mistaking the driver when it's loaded. Tough to say.

I"m going to try tech support again when I can actually be in front of my computer.

Hey all,
    I was posting on another thread but began duplicating my efforts so I"m consolidating my findings on this thread.

Just got off the phone with Samsung Tech Support Level 2. The problem is that the drivers are not loading from the phone into the Driver Folder in Activesync (found in the Programs folder on the C drive). My computer is fine as is teh phone so we narrowed this down to an issue with the USB cable. I'm taking my cable in to get it replaced with a brand new cable to see what that does.

If this is the problem then I'll let everybody know. What I didn't bring up with the tech support people is that if it's a cable issue, then exactly what is the reason for having the USB driver sitting on the VZacess CD that comes with the phone? Shouldn't that be loaded so that the USB cord works properly?

If anybody else is having any other issues / results, please post them.

Eric.

Sweet - I've been monitoring this thread (I too am afflicted w/ connection problems). Did the cable replacement resolve your problems? I've tried all that was suggested here and elsewhere w/ no success.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Samsung level 3 who quickly assured me a hard reset would make everything better. He was uninterested in the fact that i did this just 2 weeks ago with no success. L3 explained that the "Activesync cannot complete at this time..." error was generated by the device and so the device must be the problem.

Why can't I sync?!!!!!

Hi Bardbu,

So as far as L3 support at Samsung, it's been my experience that some of them are worthless and should find something else to do in life. I had one of the people there "helping" me out and he had me erase the data I had originally synched to my phone the ONE time it worked!! Grrrrrrrr!!

HOWEVER most of them have been willing to help and some of them significantly helpful however with no success. If I were you I would continue calling into tech support so that you're getting different people, you're bound to come across a few people that have ideas and can help you.

I have not yet received the new USB cord, apparently supplies are limited and they have to ship out for this. I will post back here once I"ve started working with the new cord.

Eric

Eric,

I apologize if you've already done this, but I figured it was worth mentioning. When I first installed AVG Internet Suite (Grisoft's all in one package), I wasn't able to sync my i730...I thought something was wrong with the device, but it turns out the AVG Firewall was what was causing a problem. You can read more about it here:

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - FAQ

I hope this helps.

Hey Konig,
    This is good stuff, thank you. I never found this info on the AVG site when I was there but I don't think I was looking for it properly either. I'm going to give this a whirl once I get some time at home to do so (Xmas parties through out the week). Deactivating the firewall has not helped however perhaps setting up a rule like this FAQ suggests, will. Thank you for providing this link, I appreciate it and will report back on the results.

Eric.

just a thought, and I apologize if it has been mentioned...are you running wireless sync on your phone as well for email and such?
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Hi Pillagingjack,
    No I'm not however if I can't get the normal USB method of sync to run, I may have to look at wireless sync as an option. What are you thoughts?

Eric.