+ Reply to Thread

Which verizon insurance plan do you have for i760?

This is my first pda phone -- have never had insurance on my previous dumb phones. Given the more intricate nature of the i760, I'm curious which (if any) of the available insurance plans you other i760 users have chosen and why?
    Thanks

Just my thoughts, but I don't think the insurance is worth it unless you lose the phone. Previously I had a 6700 and I had it replaced 4 times. For the first year the manufactures warranty covered it, so they gave me two free phones. After that it only cost me $50 each to replace.

thats very interesting - thank you. did verizon replace the phones or did you have to go to the manufacturer for replacements?

Verizon replaced all of them. As a matter of fact they even overnighted them to me Fedex.

None for me either for many of the same reasons stated above. The only thing insurance seems valuable for is if you lose your device. I know others have different opinions.

yeah it's not worth it because you have 12 months of total coverage... and if it dies in the 8 months between the end of the warranty and your NE2, you can take it back to verizon and they will send you a referb for only $50... and that is less than you will pay for insurance over the 2 years.

just don't get your phone wet.

They wont replace lost, stolen, wet or intentionally damaged (or what they think is intentional) or severe abuse.

I pay for insurance for the piece of mind of knowing pretty much no matter what I do it’ll be covered.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

5.99 Assurion. I've always had it on my pdaphones.... 6 bucks a month seems a small price to pay for replacement phone...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by gorgalis View Post
    just don't get your phone wet.
    See, that's what seems to make it worthwhile to me. I certainly plan to take good care of my phone, but the very nature of a cell phone is such that my best intentions don't mean a thing. Who knows if it will slip out of my hand onto concrete and leave an obvious physical sign it was dropped, thus voiding the warranty. Or if it falls into the sink (or toilet), or if I get caught in the rain. Or if I lose it. Or if it gets stolen.

I do not plan to do any of these things. I will do everything I can to prevent them. But the nature of a small device that gets as much use as my phone does is such that no matter how careful I am, it could happen. If it happens, I'm much better off having paid the 5 or 6 a month and a $50 deductable, at least as long as the phone is going for $550 new and still going to close to that on EBay.

As to the question of which plan, I went for the total equipment plan ($6). For an extra dollar a month ($24 over two years), I get the extra benefit of having warranty coverage past the included 1 year warranty for non-damage related items. That does not have a $50 deductable. So basically, for $6 a month, I know that for the 2 years of my contract I will be able to have this phone replaced for no extra cost if I still have it and there is no physical damage. If I no longer have it in my possesion or it's physically damaged, I'm still covered for an extra $50. If I don't use it at all over 2 years, then yes, I've spent $144 and not gotten anything out of it. But that's not the way to look at it. $144 has gotten me the peace of mind of knowing that if I had lost or damaged it, or if it broke down after the 1 year warranty, I would have paid a lot less then $550 to replace it. The peace of mind does have a value. Whether that value is $144 over two years or not is a hard call.

It's a personal preference of course, and I agnoized over whether to do it. But you can drop it off at any time, and I might do that if/when the phone starts going for closer to $300 on ebay.

-Brian

Also... to add to Tange1 and mwfielder, for a lot of people (including me) these things are serious tools for our businesses. Having the added coverage of lost or stolen devices is in my mind worth it. I have the $5.99 insurance and was considering dropping it because I had two backup phones... Then in end of August, I lost/misplaced by i730. I ended up calling them to inquire about the replacements and got a i760! But overall I think that it is inexpensive insurance when its about keeping your business running.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Of course, it's not as if your business would exactly shut down, unless you would be completely unable to purchase a new retail device. Nevertheless, I certainly respect the reasons of those who feel the insurance is a worthwhile investment. I also come from an "avoid all extended warranties" mindset, that may not completely carry over, as well as having overheard people paying for the insurance for cheap dumbphones, which is certainly a waste.

No doubt I will come back to this thread and kick myself when I lose my i760.

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    They wont replace lost, stolen, wet or intentionally damaged (or what they think is intentional) or severe abuse.

I pay for insurance for the piece of mind of knowing pretty much no matter what I do it’ll be covered.
    I don't know about VZW, but Cingular won't cover physical damage with the standard warranty (e.g., cracked screen).

on my 6700 AFTER the one year warranty you better have the vzw warranty! I know this first hand as i have a broken 6700 sitting right next to me. But you cant add the warranty after a time period passes... I never had a warranty until Now... I wasted alot of money on a 6700 to have it for such a short period of time.... 8(

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Of course, it's not as if your business would exactly shut down, unless you would be completely unable to purchase a new retail device. Nevertheless, I certainly respect the reasons of those who feel the insurance is a worthwhile investment. I also come from an "avoid all extended warranties" mindset, that may not completely carry over, as well as having overheard people paying for the insurance for cheap dumbphones, which is certainly a waste.

No doubt I will come back to this thread and kick myself when I lose my i760.
    No it wouldn't exactly shut down but it would be a major pain in the arse... I'm a solo, IT consultant and the things I use my PDA phone for replace 90% of what I would carry a laptop for or would require a secretary, to include:
    -Time and billing tracking
    -Calendaring/PIM/contact management
    -Mapping so I can find where I'm going
    -Remote access to manage my clients servers
    -Internet access for a variety of needs when my clients internet is down... Once I used my PDA phone to provide internet access for an entire network until I got the router back on line (sshhh don't tell VZW!)
    -email access
    -Solitaire to pass the time for those long boring software installs
    -baby sitter, I can entertain my kids with it for hours!
    -Image! it looks cool and maintains that aura of technical mastery that makes my clients think I know what I'm doing (If he's got a phat phone he must know how to fix my server!)
    -Oh yeah and I make phone calls on it too...

When I lost my phone.. sure, I could still function on a regular phone for a few days but I felt like I had one hand chopped off!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    -Image! it looks cool and maintains that aura of technical mastery that makes my clients think I know what I'm doing (If he's got a phat phone he must know how to fix my server!)
    Not to go off topic, but having the client think you know what you're doing is often more important than actually knowing what you're doing.

Anyway, the insurance isn't really a guard against productivity loss. It'll take a day or two to get the replacement. Your backup phone takes care of that for you, but not everyone has one (at least not a PDA backup). It's a shame that phones aren't more interoperable (yet). I would have a backup Treo 650 available (if I don't decide to ebay it), but it was on Sprint. What it is helpful though is that you don't have to spend time and energy agonizing about what to replace it with, how to get the best deal if you can't get the incentives (like ebay), and so on. You just file a claim and (hopefully) get a replacement in a day or two.

And of course, if you don't have a good off device backup habit (which you should!), you'll be in even bigger trouble. The data can often be a lot more valuable then the device is...

Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
    Not to go off topic, but having the client think you know what you're doing is often more important than actually knowing what you're doing.
    hee hee

Anyway, the insurance isn't really a guard against productivity loss...
    I beg to differ... my PDA phone is the extension of my office that I have with me in the field. In a certain sense the insurance IS a guard against productivity loss, at least for me because I do so much Onsite support. And data backup... you better believe it!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post

I beg to differ... my PDA phone is the extension of my office that I have with me in the field. In a certain sense the insurance IS a guard against productivity loss, at least for me because I do so much Onsite support. And data backup... you better believe it!
    Mark
    Oh no, you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. The phone is absolutely an incredible productivity tool. You're insured financially against the loss of the tool, but you'll still experience a loss of productivity because the insurance replacement for loss or damage is not instant. You can't do it in the store. In the best case it'll be a day or two, and in the worst case it can be longer. So if you need uninterrupted service, you need to do just what you've already said you've done -- keep a backup phone available that you can do an ESN swap. It'd be really nice if Asurion would setup a system where you can do the swap in store, but that's probably not going to happen.

And I mention backups because it's so often overlooked. Active sync gets most of the data, but it's good to have a full backup (including your SD card, if applicable) from something like Sprite backup on your PC. That way when the replacement arrives you can just do a quick restore and you're back in business without having to reinstall everything.

OK I understand your point now... as long as assurion is a contractor for whatever carrier we won't get immediate replacements from the carrier, I suppose. But they do seem to try and deliver.. every replacement I've ever got from them is sent next day if they have it in stock.
    And for me, my pdaphone is such and essential tool for me that the insurance is very much worth it. I can see for some people where their pdaphone is more a convenience that insurance wouldn't be as necessary.
    Mark

Man I want one of those... Dan0matic's Avatar
    I've been a fan on the insurance, you do have to know what you are doing when dealing with them. You don't have to take what they offer. I was offered a treo 700wx when my i730 started crapping out. I told them I needed wifi as that was a "key feature" in my Sami and they dug deeper and found a vx6800 for me (they are out of stock on the i760 that is what I would have gotten if they were on hand). The new phone will arrive today I hope and will come with the VZW warranty just like as if I had bought it right from them. Well worth the investment if you ask me.

Dan
    Oh if life could be that simple...
    Live, Love, Serve.

Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
    Oh no, you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. The phone is absolutely an incredible productivity tool. You're insured financially against the loss of the tool, but you'll still experience a loss of productivity because the insurance replacement for loss or damage is not instant. You can't do it in the store. In the best case it'll be a day or two, and in the worst case it can be longer. So if you need uninterrupted service, you need to do just what you've already said you've done -- keep a backup phone available that you can do an ESN swap. It'd be really nice if Asurion would setup a system where you can do the swap in store, but that's probably not going to happen.

And I mention backups because it's so often overlooked. Active sync gets most of the data, but it's good to have a full backup (including your SD card, if applicable) from something like Sprite backup on your PC. That way when the replacement arrives you can just do a quick restore and you're back in business without having to reinstall everything.
    That was my point. Productivity is not affected, only money, as you can buy a replacement at least as fast as you can file an insurance claim.