+ Reply to Thread

Samsung wired headset: The button does what?

I wanted to try a wired headset for a change, so I bought one I knew would work with the phone: Samsung AEP204VSEB/STD stereo headphones.

(The same ones listed on the Samsung site as accessories)

There is a button on the silver lapel microphone, but it doesn't behave like the button on a bluetooth headset.

Specifically, it does not activate the voice recognizer for hands-free operation. It seems to act like the SEND button, so it can only redial the last number without using the phone keypad. During the call, it acts like END.

This seems less than useful. The Bluetooth button activates the voice recognizer, which is much more useful. Is there any way to remap this button?

Pretty Good Member
    Doesn't it answer calls?

Registered Luser
    Yep, it is exactly the green phone button, which is not exactly the most useful function for it. My solution for this is to use AE Button Plus to tweak it. My configuration is:

Green Phone Button
    1: Press Green Button
    2: VoiceSignal
    3: VoiceSignal

VoiceSignal really starts voice command on my phone (i730). I set both double and triple click to it because sometimes the first click gets swallowed by the phone application. Now when I want to make a call using voice command, i just triple click the button on the headset.

It's not *exactly* the green button, since it does hang up on calls as well. It seems to switch to the red button in a call.

Actually, you should be able to hold the button down and that will activate voice dialing.. just like if you were to hold down the voice button on the phone itself.

Okay.. I installed AE Button Plus.

It's not as simple as remapping the green button, since it seems that the headset button becomes the Red button once you're in calls?

I tried setting the Red button to require a Long Press, but AE BP seems to be failing here. Setting the Red Button to Long Press = Red Button causes it to do nothing. AEBP is somehow not recognizing the long press. I guess that leaves me unimpressed. Get it.

Still experimenting with the headset button. Seems odd that Samsung wouldn't make it user-definable.. like the three buttons we are actually allowed to modify.

Registered Luser
    Keep in mind I'm using an i730, so it might not be the same. I never could get aebutton plus to recognize a long press on the green button. I don't think the hardware/firmware supports it. The switch to red button would explain the behaviour where the first press wouldn't be seen by aebutton plus sometimes. That's why I mapped both double and tripple press to voice signal and just use triple press. The tripple press will be seen either as a red button plus double press or as a tripple press. Either way gets me voice dialing.