+ Reply to Thread
    PDA n00b

Post Ultra beginner i760 questions -- Plz help!

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum and subsequently will most likely be the most demanding.. I recently got the i760 but have no clue as to how to use many of the features you guys talk about all the time in addition to me already having a bunch of questions about the phone in the first place. Some help would REALLY be appreciated, thanks in advance.

- I tried to sync this with my Gmail, but for some reason, all my email comes at the same time, like, dozens of emails every 20 minutes. When I had my sidekick, my email came instantly as it came into my gmail inbox. Is there anyway to set this kind of thing up so it works the same way on the i760? (I didn't use the active sync CD or anything like that for that matter on my desktop computer, only put the ports into the phone.)

- If I receive an email with a picture / text, it doesn't show up. If it does, it says it will download the next time I receive email. Anyway to get this to work instantly?

- When my screen goes black, the only way I can get to show the screen again is slide it out. Is there a button combination I can press to just show the TODAY screen without physically sliding the keyboard out?

- I found a theme generator and have created some themes, however have difficulty getting them onto my phone. Do I put the .tsk file into a particular folder?

- I use this phone as an alarm for when I wake up in the morning but I'm limited to the sounds included to wake me up. Is there anyway to get the included ringtones to play for alarms? (I'm currently using OTAtone, which is super loud and does the trick, it just scares my whole family when it plays because they think it's a smoke alarm.)

- I'm new to PDA's, so excuse the overall noobiness of this (and all the past) questions, but, theoretically, ANY WM5 / 6 application *should* work on this phone, right?

- In the GetApplications, I clicked TRY for munduIM. The program works, but am I using a free version of it right now, or does it automatically bill me at a certain point? In essence, what's the difference between the TRY and BUY options?

- Is there a way to use .mp3's as ringtones on this? I've done some searching and came across AUDACITY which some other people have mentioned on the forum, but I can't find a way to use the .mp3 as a ringtone.

Again, I appreciate any help you guys would be able to provide. I've searched this forum as thoroughly as I could, but I seem to be missing something lol, so I figured I'd ask directly and try my luck. Thanks so much!

-Alex.

welcome! I will attempt to answer some of your questions, although with this sort of device, answers usually lead to more questions! As for the black screen, the power button on top of the phone wakes the phone up. Your themes belong in the windows folder labeled 'themes". use active sync file explorer to find the folder. if none exists crease one. same goes for ringtones. create a folder labeled ringtones and load ur mp3s there. 20 to 40 seconds in length is good. U can search for mp3 thru the phone after they are loaded. MP3s cannot be used as system sounds, this requires modifying the registry. Something you might want to tackle after u r comfortable with WM6. Most WM5 apps will work, all WM6 app should work on our device. You are looking for programs wrapped in CAB. format. An EXE. type app will usually install over active sync with ur phone connected.
    ....Try and Buy question is self explanatory, u will be notified when ur "try" period is up.
    For future notice try to narrow down your concerns and questions to yield faster and more detailed replies.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeVsTime View Post
    - I tried to sync this with my Gmail, but for some reason, all my email comes at the same time, like, dozens of emails every 20 minutes.
    Yep, that's gonna happen. You can't "push" GMail to the phone, so it pulls it regularly. You can get down to every five minutes if you like. I believe the sidekick pulled from a dedicated server that polled the POP accounts regularly, but could be mistaken.

- If I receive an email with a picture / text, it doesn't show up. If it does, it says it will download the next time I receive email. Anyway to get this to work instantly?
    You need to tweak the settings on your GMail account to include however much of the message text you want (I get it all on mine) and to download attachments. Messaging - Tools - Options and tap the GMail account then dig through the settings.

- I use this phone as an alarm for when I wake up in the morning but I'm limited to the sounds included to wake me up. Is there anyway to get the included ringtones to play for alarms? (I'm currently using OTAtone, which is super loud and does the trick, it just scares my whole family when it plays because they think it's a smoke alarm.)
    Move the sound you like to the Windows directory. Reminders are best in .wma or .wav format in my experience.

- I'm new to PDA's, so excuse the overall noobiness of this (and all the past) questions, but, theoretically, ANY WM5 / 6 application *should* work on this phone, right?
    The only ones to be very careful about are for the Smartphone or WM6 Standard versions. These weren't built for touchscreens. Other apps should, but there's always the exceptions, so do backups before installing new apps.

- Is there a way to use .mp3's as ringtones on this? I've done some searching and came across AUDACITY which some other people have mentioned on the forum, but I can't find a way to use the .mp3 as a ringtone.
    Put it in \Windows and see whether it appears as an option. The settings don't generally look all over the phone.