+ Reply to Thread

Phone Alarm... worth the $?

I was looking at all the custom today screen shots and I noticed most people use phone alarm.

Is it really worth the price?

phonealarm is nice but it really sinks its teeth into the system. i have mixed results using it on other devices so i will not use it on my i760. but i am sure other have no problem.

It's a bit daunting to use but if you go through and at least review each setting and try to understand what each setting does its completely worth the work. For me it’s the number one piece of software I put on my device. I've been using it for a few years w/o any trouble.

The writer of the software also offers some of the best support I've seen. Where else can you email support and get responses directly from the author of the app in hours (sometimes minutes)?
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

If you don't find a skin you like from the website or the forums, good luck in creating one. I tried it and it is time consuming, especially since you have to use the program on the device itself.

I tried out PA on my i730 and had two problems with it. First, it's really, really work to get it configured how you want and you can still miss things. Look around the forum and you'll find people talking about alarms going off that make people think a tornado's about to hit. Second, there were what seemed like a constant stream of updates and bug-fixes (and hitting their home page, that's not changed - four since October). Not that the attention from the developer is bad, just that it's a whole lot of maintenance for something I just want to work. It may be that they're just trying to do too much in too fancy a way, and if you configure it right I bet it's the best thing out there.

But for me, it was more than I wanted to take on. I bought SPB Phone Suite instead.

I think its over rated. Very complex, very taxing on the system and the benifits (IMHO) nominal. I would take a look at SPB phone suite. Smaller, less intrusive and it gives you profiles which in all honesty is all I would use PA for anyway.

I used PA on my Treo WX and now on my i760. I love it and could not live without it. I highly recommend it.

Yes. Using it for the first time and have been really pleased. Phone Suite didn't do enough that I wanted. It does take a little time to configure, but now it's great. Having a lot of skins to choose from is also nice.

I recently installed PA and like it. Now I can get notification of missed calls and voice mails when the phone goes to sleep.

A quick question for PA users: how does PA work with profile settings vs phone settings? IE, if I set one type ringer in phone settings and set another type in an active PA profile, which has priority? My test results are confusing.

what are some alternative (i.e. cheaper/free?) to phone alarm and phone suite?

i don't want to spend my time setting up a demo when i might not keep it.

I love it! Having the ability to manage my bluetooth and setting up the phone for meetings, flights, etc. at the touch of a button is great. I wasn't completely sold on it until I did the demo for 30 days. Then I realized I relied upon it a lot. Also, tange1 is correct about the support at the phoneAlarm forum. Bruce at pocketmax does a great job.

Try it, you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    I tried out PA on my i730 and had two problems with it. First, it's really, really work to get it configured how you want and you can still miss things. Look around the forum and you'll find people talking about alarms going off that make people think a tornado's about to hit. Second, there were what seemed like a constant stream of updates and bug-fixes (and hitting their home page, that's not changed - four since October). Not that the attention from the developer is bad, just that it's a whole lot of maintenance for something I just want to work. It may be that they're just trying to do too much in too fancy a way, and if you configure it right I bet it's the best thing out there.

But for me, it was more than I wanted to take on. I bought SPB Phone Suite instead.
    PA has been stable on the i730 for probably 18 months now. The developer keeps making tweaks but its been stable and feature completed on the i730 since about 6 months after the device came out (if not before that). The first build or 2 that came out when the i760 came out had some issues but it took only a few days before it was stable and feature complete on the i760.

The tornado sound occurs if you do not specify a sound for an alarm it seems to default to a sound that happens to be first in the list of selectable sounds. That sound is very loud and harsh. This will only occur if you didn't choose a sound and configure all options.

I'm not sure if you trying to say that you cant get new versions of the software or not but the home page links to the most recent stable release and is updated quite often.

Your right, if you take the time to configure it then export your configuration (like i did from the i730) you hardly ever have to make any changes.
    Last edited by tange1; 12-06-2007 at 09:43 PM.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    It's a bit daunting to use but if you go through and at least review each setting and try to understand what each setting does its completely worth the work. For me it’s the number one piece of software I put on my device. I've been using it for a few years w/o any trouble.

The writer of the software also offers some of the best support I've seen. Where else can you email support and get responses directly from the author of the app in hours (sometimes minutes)?
    Ditto to everything Tange1 said. I'll also add the recommendation that you start with the Lite version of pA and see whether that suits your needs. It will give you a decent idea of what pA can do without overloading you or your i760. If you find you like the lite version and want more options, you can always move to the pA. FWIW, thought, I'd purchase the full version (which includes a license for the Lite version) but only install the Lite version to begin with.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mayniac View Post
    If you don't find a skin you like from the website or the forums, good luck in creating one. I tried it and it is time consuming, especially since you have to use the program on the device itself.
    Actually, all you have to do is to download the one that is the closest in layout to what you want, replace the icons/graphics by what you want and edit the skin file. All on your pc. Then, copy it to the phoneAlarm folder.

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Ditto to everything Tange1 said. I'll also add the recommendation that you start with the Lite version of pA and see whether that suits your needs. It will give you a decent idea of what pA can do without overloading you or your i760. If you find you like the lite version and want more options, you can always move to the pA. FWIW, thought, I'd purchase the full version (which includes a license for the Lite version) but only install the Lite version to begin with.
    I believe there's a major revamping of PA comming out soon thats going to change the name of PA Lite and perhaps PA itself. I think this is to weed out some of the confusion over the versions.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    I'm not sure if you trying to say that you cant get new versions of the software or not but the home page links to the most recent stable release and is updated quite often.
    Please note - I am most certainly not saying that PA sucks, is horribly buggy, that you can't get the latest release etc. I'm simply sharing my impression from when I tried it.

My statement is simply intended to point out that there are frequent updates to the software to resolve bugs/issues. That's good (the developer's doing their job on the support side), but also bad (you might install this thing frequently if you're keeping current).

Your right, if you take the time to configure it then export your configuration (like i did from the i730) you hardly ever have to make any changes.
    I'm glad to hear that it works well for you and others. I'm not saying it can't/won't for anyone.

PA has many, many good features and users that like it. I simply found it overly complex for what I wanted, easy to misconfigure (creating some interesting results), and providing far more functionality than what I was looking for. That's an opinion, not a statement of fact. For folks that want the control PA offers, it's got Phone Suite beat. For users that want something simple that "just works," I'd recommend Phone Suite.

Regarding the stream of updates, it usually seems to be to resolve some minor issue specific to a particular device that won't affect most users. So having the most current version is probably not a big deal unless you have a specific issue that you need fixed. Of course, it's probably a good idea to update every so often, and certainly start with the most recent.

Quote Originally Posted by fdion View Post
    Actually, all you have to do is to download the one that is the closest in layout to what you want, replace the icons/graphics by what you want and edit the skin file. All on your pc. Then, copy it to the phoneAlarm folder.
    Yeah, I tried that. I edited the file on my PC and replaced a couple icons with icons, of the same size, and the skin came out looking like a jumbled mess, some graphics were even distorted. I just gave up on that, since I didn't have the time to look into what went wrong and chose a different pre-made skin. Finding icons and graphics was the hardest part, because I thought everything already made looked terrible.

I would definitely buy the program if there was an easier way to create skins. As it is now though, I have to make a change, copy it to my device and reload the skin. It's really time consuming. I don't know how those people on the forums do it, I definitely don't have the patience.

K...I'll dump my question in this thread...when I scroll down to PA, the only thing it does is hit the 'home' icon...subsequent 'hits' only highlight, then un-highlight the 'home' icon....on my i730 it was able to scroll horizontally to the other icons...what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by ProRef View Post
    K...I'll dump my question in this thread...when I scroll down to PA, the only thing it does is hit the 'home' icon...subsequent 'hits' only highlight, then un-highlight the 'home' icon....on my i730 it was able to scroll horizontally to the other icons...what am I missing?
    Please don't cross-post. I just posted a response to your question in the other thread you created.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)