+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goog411

Hobby of the week-aholic

Goog411

It seems Google has had this service up and running for a few months now but I just discovered it today and thought I'd mention it here. Beats paying Verizon $1.75 per call.

It's all voice prompt controlled and there are no live operators but so far it's been able to understand all but one of my requests. If it can't understand you, you also have the option of spelling the name with your keypad T9 style.

1-800-goog411

FWIW

another cool google thing is that you can send a text to GOOGLE (466453) and just write the name of the place your looking for and the zip code and it will text you back with the closest findings with address and phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post
    another cool google thing is that you can send a text to GOOGLE (466453) and just write the name of the place your looking for and the zip code and it will text you back with the closest findings with address and phone number.
    I use this all the time. A wonderfull feature. Be aware that if your search is vauge it will reply w/ several text messages (i've receved 3 or more on one search) so if your paying per message just watch your search terms.

'Liquor stores' and a zip code can have a lot of results..
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

WDW
    There's also TellmeTellme
    Call 1-800-555-TELL (8355) Send a text message to 83556 (TELLM) or by going to Tellme

I used 800-FREE411 for a while before Goog came out. It worked well, although you have to listen to a couple of short ads. Now I primarily use GOOG411, although FREE411 is still useful for residential numbers, which GOOG does not have.

Totaly Free?

Other than the minutes used, or the text sent or recieved, this is totaly free?

Yes. The GOOG version doesn't even require you to listen to ads. Works very well. GOOG currently only for business listings

Google Maps

I use Google Maps to look up business and such. Just go to the Google webpage and look for the downloadable map service. Another good one is LiveSearch from Microsoft. It has voice recognition software built in which is handy when driving.