+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extra hole?

Extra hole?

Anybody knbow what the little hole is for on top of the i760? Its on the left side.

Yep. Its for a wrist strap or phone charm-thing. You have to take out the plug next to it to use it.

You know you may want to ask your parents about that...lol.
    Actually, its the microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by mistamista2000 View Post
    You know you may want to ask your parents about that...lol.
    Actually, its the microphone.
    Nope... wrong hole. I think that DustinEarnhardt was talking about the hole/slot to the left of the MicroSD slot.

But I am curious about the tiny little hole on the top edge (same edge as the power switch). You say that's a microphone? That seems pretty strange.
    Last edited by Dzanda; 12-07-2007 at 07:31 AM.

I Thought the microphone was the little hole on the bottom in the three rows of plugged dots...

No, the hole on TOP of the 760

Registered User/Squirrel Master sdittmar's Avatar
    Lets try to clarify, there are 3 visible holes when the phone is closed... two on the screen half of the phone, and one on the camera half of the phone.
    The one on the camera half of the phone is clearly for a wrist strap type of accessory.
    Of the two on the screen half, the one on the bottom in the middle of the grid of indents is the microphone...page 20 in the manual points it out specifically as such.

The second one on the screen half of the phone is on the top of the phone is the hole in question... My theories would include:
    a) another microphone used when in speaker phone mode
    b) a microphone used to help with noise cancellation

Does anyone know with proof or reasonable confidence what the one on top might be?
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

He is asking about the teeny hole on the top of the phone at the end of the red arrow of the attached picture. This isn't the microphone. The User Manual identifies the microphone on the bottom of the phone. Could it be a noise canceling microphone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extra hole?-i760.jpg  
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    He is asking about the teeny hole on the top of the phone at the end of the red arrow of the attached picture. This isn't the microphone. The User Manual identifies the microphone on the bottom of the phone. Could it be a noise canceling microphone?
    Noise canceling would be my guess. Why don't you stick a pin in it and see if sound quality gets worse.

SuperDave took that one apart. Can anything be discerned from those photos? (I'm sure I could not).

EDIT: Nevermind. He took the back cover off, but did not disassemble the screen side.
    Last edited by JDCJ; 12-07-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Using Vito Audio Notes I did a test. I whispered at a very low level directly at both points. Clearly I can tell when listening to the recording that the hole at the top shown in jfourman's pic is the mic. Try it for yourself.

They are both mics.

The mic at the bottom of the phone is the active/dominant mic for when you are not on speakerphone. The mic at the top is barely audible in this scenario.

Conversely,

The mic at the top of the phone is the active/dominant mic for when you are using speakerphone. The mic at the bottom is barely audible in this configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC1 View Post
    Why don't you stick a pin in it and see if sound quality gets worse.
    Sticking a pin in it would be a bad idea unless you wanted to permanently disable the speakerphone
    Last edited by KINetics; 12-08-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistamista2000 View Post
    Using Vito Audio Notes I did a test. I whispered at a very low level directly at both points. Clearly I can tell when listening to the recording that the hole at the top shown in jfourman's pic is the mic. Try it for yourself.
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like mistamista2000 and KINetics have the right answers.

And to mistamista200, the picture in my avatar is me when I was a bit yonger