+ Reply to Thread

Thinking of jumping to the Mogul...should I?

Overall I'm liking the i760 a lot. But it has its issues. The Mogul, from what I've heard, had issues to begin with. But the latest update apparently fixes most of these, and people seem quite happy with it now. Here's a summary of what has me wavering:

- Multiple bluetooth devices not auto reconnecting. I'm hopeful this can be fixed by Samsung, but don't know if it will be. I have both a car kit and a headset, so this is a big pain.
    - Mogul's keyboard is softer and easier to press. I have to really bang on the i760 or it misses presses. My thumbs seem to get tired after awhile of doing that. On the flip side though, the mogul's keys are flatter and harder to distinguish. I also am either getting better at the i760's keyboard, or it's loosening up a bit.
    - Button layout is better on the mogul. Start & OK are grouped with the D-Pad and softkeys. I have to do a lot of moving around on the i760. Plus, the end key isn't right where I want to put my fingers, and the send key is easy to press when using the slide out keyboard. I'm getting used to all of it, but the layout on the Mogul seems much better.
    - Mogul's scroll wheel seems useful.
    - Sprint SERO means I'll pay about half what I'm paying now.

Here's what keeps me liking the i760:
    - Front keyboard. This is so much better then a soft on-screen keypad. How much better though, I can't say. I used to have to dial on a soft keypad (PalmOS Samsung i300 and i330), but quickly got used to using the (full) keyboard on the front of my Treo to dial over the soft keypad. This alone may be enough to keep me with the i760, but the soft keypad may not be that bad.
    - Solid feel. The mogul (at least the one in the store) had a wobble to the screen when extended. The slider on the i760 seems much stronger. Not a huge issue, but something I notice.
    - Screen feel. With PIEPlus's drag/throw scrolling, I actually really like the feel of the softer screen on the i760 when using my finger. Again, not huge.
    - i760 is a little cheaper and includes things like a second (extended) battery and MS's voice command. Not a showstopper, but always nice to pay less.
    - Verizon's phone service and customer service are arguably better. I never really had a big problem with Sprint though.
    - i760 looks cool in black. Not that the Mogul is ugly, but the i760 looks so sleek.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm really not all that unhappy with the i760. Actually, I like it a lot. But the Mogul has its charm too, and paying half the monthly cost on Sprint with SERO is very, very, very attractive.

Thanks!
    -Brian
    Last edited by bkrodgers; 12-07-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Pretty Good Member
    I used a Mogul for 1 month and liked it a lot, but the phone isn,t nearly as good as the i760.

ok so i know this is way way down the road and a lot of things can change by then, so don't rip me too hard... but here are my long term plans.

Keep the i760 because I really like it, but the data plan is expensive. In 2 years, get a regular phone for verizon, and hopefully by then all carriers will be open with capable phones so I can activate the i760 on a Sprint plan with pay as you go minutes.

Yeah it will be really old and slow by then, but I wouldn't have to buy a new pda, and I would have sprint prices for my data plan (even though I would have to carry 2 devices).

Just something I thought of... even if it is a long shot

Why would you go the Mogul when the XV6800 is out now. Its the same phone as the mogul only for Verizon!!!!

Also, over the last few days I have been trying to customize my i760. THere are a lot of flaws with this phone. For example.

Wisbar Advance 3 causes the windows error report to go off when you try and use it. Have my issues with lakeridgesoftware now about this.

Wisbar Advanced Desktop works sortof with the i760 but not really well.

Finally Samsung has locked this phone tremendously when you want to change simple things like the buttons. I know I can download AEButton plus, but should I have too!!!!

Overall I am only keeping the i760 right now because the keypad on the outside, and that I am not eligible for an upgrade until February.

At first I really liked this phone, but I am used to being able to customize my old XV6700 to the way I like. Hopefully some ground breaking registry hacks will be coming soon, or I will be gone!!!

I would do the Mogul over the XV6800 for Sprint SERO. They have a plan for $30 that's better then the $80 Verizon plan I'm on. SERO offers 500 minutes, unlimited n&w @ 7, not 9, unlimited text, and unlimited data. Even if I like the i760, if the Mogul comes pretty close, it's hard to justify the extra monthly cost. Verizon may be good, but I never really had problems when I was on Sprint.

I've got about a week left on my 30 days with VZW, so I'm struggling to decide if I like the phone and verizon enough to warrant costs 2-3 times as much. With the latest Mogul update apparantly resolving most of the issues people were having, it's very tempting. I really love the front keypad, but is it worth $30 a month to me to have a front keypad if the devices are otherwise equivalent?

I760 v Mogul

I currently have both the I760 and the Mogul and id have to agree with most of your pro/con argument. Personally, I think the I760 is a better voice device - because of the dedicated keypad, and has the better build quality, while the Mogul seems to run a little better, and Sprint's data network seems to be like 20% -30% faster in my area.

If i had to pick one, id go I760, however, given your situation i would definitely go with the Mogul and the SERO plan, as the phones are very similar (as least specs wise)

Thanks dfawkes5! Since you have the i760, do you find that when you're using the Mogul, you miss the numeric keypad? Or is the virtual keypad OK, even when you know what you're missing from the i760?

If you're contemplating HTC based devices and AT&T coverage is good in your area, I'd go with the Tilt/TyTN II over the Mogul...

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    If you're contemplating HTC based devices and AT&T coverage is good in your area, I'd go with the Tilt/TyTN II over the Mogul...
    Isn't the Tilt pretty similar other then the tilt screen?

Really, the biggest reason I'm considering the switch to the Mogul is Sprint SERO. I even have a Verizon discount, but SERO still beats the pants off that. I just don't know if I can say that the i760 is so much better then the Mogul that it justifies paying $35 or more (depending on how you compare it) above what SERO would cost me each month. That works out to almost $900 over the 2 years.

Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about it. I like the device, with a few flaws, and Verizon does seem pretty good in terms of phone service and customer service. But I'm having a really hard time justifying that cost. If there was a smaller gap between Verizon and Sprint SERO, it'd be easier. I suppose I can go to Sprint for 30 days and if I really think the i760 was worth it, I can come back to Verizon and sleep easier with the choice.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
    Isn't the Tilt pretty similar other then the tilt screen?

Really, the biggest reason I'm considering the switch to the Mogul is Sprint SERO. I even have a Verizon discount, but SERO still beats the pants off that. I just don't know if I can say that the i760 is so much better then the Mogul that it justifies paying $35 or more (depending on how you compare it) above what SERO would cost me each month. That works out to almost $900 over the 2 years.

Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about it. I like the device, with a few flaws, and Verizon does seem pretty good in terms of phone service and customer service. But I'm having a really hard time justifying that cost. If there was a smaller gap between Verizon and Sprint SERO, it'd be easier. I suppose I can go to Sprint for 30 days and if I really think the i760 was worth it, I can come back to Verizon and sleep easier with the choice.
    The tilt screen is essentially a built-in landscape cradle, which is kind of nice. The most important feature IMHO is twice the RAM of the Mogul or the i760. It also has built in GPS, but so will the Mogul in early 2008 with yet another ROM update. The Tilt is inexplicably slow, but some people report improvement with some hacks. For the price, there's no question that Sprint has much more reasonable data charges and a little bit better calling plan prices. And Sprint now roams on Verizon's network for free so their network should be as good or better--yet some people do complain of more lost calls if you're in a fringe area of their network. Be careful that you don't roam for more than 50% of your calls or data usage, or they do reserve the right to cancel your contract, but in reality they only seem to do that for people who are 100% roaming. If you do have a problem, Sprint's customer service is notoriously bad, and if you have a lot of complaint calls they may also cancel your contract for that as well. But if you don't have problems, there's no question it's a much better deal. Personally, I would have stayed with Sprint if I didn't like the i760 so much better as a phone and it only cost me $49 so that helped and my wife LOVES her new Chocolate as an mp3 player while she's exercising.
    Last edited by robrecht; 12-08-2007 at 01:45 PM.

So, I did it. Overall, I'm pleased.

Pluses for the 6800:
    - No problem at all using multiple bluetooth headsets. This is a huge plus for me. I just turn it on and it works, even if it's not the last one I used.
    - Seems a bit speedier, as long as it still has enough free RAM (see the con below).
    - Jog wheel is nice. Not groundbreaking, but nice.
    - IE and Messaging buttons on top are helpful, since those are my two most commonly used apps. AEButtonPlus multiplies their usefulness.
    - Better layout of start and OK buttons. Right there by the D-Pad. I don't know why Samsung thought the sides were a good place.
    - No hanging up on people! Really stupid of Samsung to put the end button where they did.
    - Mini USB charging, and the included cable is sync and charge.
    - Screen doesn't distort when you press on it. While I liked the soft feel of the screen, I hated the distortion.

i760 plus, 6800 cons:
    - I miss the front numeric keypad, but I'm living without it fine. That said, it was a very nice feature.
    - Though they have the same amount of RAM, the i760 didn't appear to use as much of it with the stock ROM. But, as I mentioned above, the 6800 seems faster as long as you have some RAM left free.
    - i760 is more solid feeling. No question. Slider is more solid, d-pad is more solid, and it just feels solid all around. Not that the 6800 is bad. It's just that the i760 was better.
    - i760 is more stylish to me. The mogul's grey is just bleh. The Samsung looked really sharp. Not that I would buy it for the color, but still...
    - More storage (not RAM) memory. With the i760 I kept trying to put things on the SD card that didn't work well there (IE Cache and Flexmail storage in particular).
    - MS Voice command isn't included, and it doesn't work perfectly (you have to turn confirmations off if you're using it w/bluetooth, so if it misunderstands, you may call the wrong person).
    - Stylus on the right side of the i760 is better then the stylus on the right bottom of the 6800. Awkward in particular to pull it when you have it slid open.

Toss ups:
    - 6800's softer keyboard is less fatiguing to type on. However, the i760's buttons were rounder and had a more satisfying feel overall.
    - Slider goes in opposite directions. i760 puts the D-pad on the right, which I liked. But 6800 has an extra set of arrow keys on the lower right corner of the keyboard, which arguably is even more convenient then the having the i760's d-pad on the upper right.
    - 6800 has a keyboard light sensor, but it only turns the light on in near darkness. It can be helpful to have it lit in brighter light then the sensor flips on at, so I've turned it off.

In the end, as I mentioned earlier, SERO is the biggest reason I switched. If Sprint had the i760, or if Verizon had a plan matching SERO (or even just closer to it), I would probably have stuck with the i760. But as you can see above, each device has pluses and minuses. Now, I just have to decide if I like the Mogul better then the touch. But that's one for another section of the forum.