+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Voice Recognition - does it work for you?

For me it's just ridiculous... Reliability is very low, sometimes it's working, sometimes it doesn't, based on god knows what. "Lookup Cynthia" brings me Kathleen contact...

Can this be trained somehow to be better or this is how it is?

And after I tried two or more times without success this voice msg comes saying "Searching for contacts, try again later". That one really drives me nuts. Makes me feel to smash the phone to the ground/wall/whatever.

You can't train Voice Command. My experience has been different from yours. Voice Signal on the i730 was not nearly as accurate for me as VC on the i760. Are you using your headset for VC? If so, try it without the headset to rule out the headset as the problem.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Pretty Good Member
    Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not well at at all. I don't use a headset. It's very frustrating when it doesn't work. It works better a small amount of contacts.

I will say that the Motorola e816 and Q both had far superior voice recognition, both in speed and accuracy. I got really used to using it, and now the i760 feels sub-par.

It's really hit or miss -- usually grabs the wrong contact. In an effort to make it more accurate, I pruned my contact list down by 30% or so, but that's not terribly satisfying either. It should have a way to flag contacts as either VR or not-VR, just to thin the field.

I regularly use VC regularly with both a BT headset (plantronics) and direct. I love it both ways. The only time the device seems to fail is when there is significant background noise, i.e. radio, kids, traffic.

I do tend to adjust my pronuncation of some more complicated names to match a successful voice command. While we can't train VC it doesn't hurt to recall how she pronounces the names in our contact list and attempt to mimic her accent.

Pretty Good Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pasteur View Post
    I do tend to adjust my pronuncation of some more complicated names to match a successful voice command. While we can't train VC it doesn't hurt to recall how she pronounces the names in our contact list and attempt to mimic her accent.
    LOL! Pretty soon we'll all be talking like Stephen Hawking.

Quote Originally Posted by pasteur View Post
    I only attempt using it when there is very little back ground noise. I have had to change the way I say things ie. (mo-bile) works better for me than (mo-bill). I also notice when "she" repeats the name she says it differently than I do and I will pronounce the name more like she does. Another couple months and she'll have me trained to talk like a computer.

I've been using VC since I bought it for my i730. Although I found it to be pretty good with the i730, I've found it to be even better with the i760. The headset certainly can affect how reliable it is. I've used VC successfully with a Jabra JX10 and a Jawbone. Today I bought a BlueAnt, and VC worked great for the 3 calls or so that I tried it. As others have indicated, significant background noise can interfere with how accurately VC performs.

I recall that some time ago MRailing gave some very helpful hints on using VC. You might do a search for posts by MRailing that contain "Voice Command" in them. Start with the i730 forum first, then go to the i760 forum if you don't find it the i730 forum.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Wow, VC has worked great for me. I have loved it so much more than I thought I would. I have had voice dialing on other phones in the past and never used it because it was too much trouble to go through and record names. Have had only a couple of mistakes since I started using it. Having it set to confirm still means no mixed up calls.

Re: pruning your contacts, I'm sure it could help, but I have right at 600 contacts and it hasn't been an issue. What's great is it is faster than trying to look up a contact then calling - just say it and go. Unless I am around other people; then I feel to silly to use it. Same reason I won't talk on a bluetooth headset with others around. People think I'm crazy enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by olgatudor View Post
    "Lookup Cynthia" brings me Kathleen contact...
    Also try saying the person's first and last name rather than just their first.

I also find the Samsung voice recognition to not be as good as the Motorola one. It works, but is not as accurate in my experience.

v325 to i760.

It is Microsoft's Voice Command, not Samsung's.
    -rp-

~I760~
    (retired I700,XV6600,I730)

The i760 embedded VC is a joke; It works MAYBE 25% of the time which for me makes it unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by RCPerkinsJR View Post
    It is Microsoft's Voice Command, not Samsung's.
    I'm still trying to figure out what features are Samsung and what are WM6.

Have you tried using a different headset?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

If that was directed to me, I do not use a headset.

I don't use VC all that frequently, but I haven't experienced much trouble with it when I do use it. Compared to the voice command system on my old Moto V-710, I'd say that while each has its quirks, they both work pretty well for me. Other than those 2 phones, I don't have any experience with a phone voice command system that I can compare them to.

I'm probably easily impressed, though: I have only one vocal cord (after a bout with cancer), so my voice isn't exactly "normal". The fact that the phones (and my car's hands-free unit) usually figure out what I want is pretty amazing!

Mine is about 50/50 - I was spoiled by the LG 8300 voice control that amazingly almost never failed to understand the command or name (doesn't use training, either). But, this finds me sometimes arguing with the phone as it asks me over and over again to repeat. I wouldn't recommend smashing it however, that didn't work for me
    I got a Jawbone and thought that would be the ticket, what with the purported nuclear-defense-quality noise reduction, but it didn't improve anything.
    I do have about 4 times the amount of contacts, so I will try Ground's suggestion of pruning my list. How'm I gonna do that when I sync with Outlook and add contacts for e-mail all the time?

I use the voice command more often than not when placing a phone call. It is not as good as my LG phone was (didn't need to train it). But the i760 VC works most of the time. I had two entries that were both short, 3-letter words and I found I couldn't call 'Mom', so I had to change that to 'Moms house' and then it works fine. I have a lot of entries (from syncing w/ Outlook) and it is unusual for the phone not to pick the correct contact.

Not all who wander are lost Thayer's Avatar
    I had the i760 for about a month and 30 day worry freeed it back to check out the vx6800. vc is one of the top reasons im going back to the i760. the vx6800 has a program where you have to train each command. oh my terribleness. the last time I had to do that was on my motorola v60 2002.

I found that vc on the i760 worked way better than the i730 voice signal.

I think ill call verizon and have them resend me the i760 right now.
    Last edited by Thayer; 12-10-2007 at 08:00 AM.