+ Reply to Thread
    7 PDA's, 10 years

SD Card program stops after power off

I am running a great program called Astromist off of the SD card. It's got 700 mb of data, so it can't be installed in regular memory. Anyway, the i760 is set to turn off after 2 minutes of inactivity, but when it does turn off, Astromist closes and I am returned to the file explorer. This is a problem because of the way the program is used - it is designed to be used with a telescope, so after looking somethinig up or checking an observing plan, you spend 5-15 minutes finding and viewing the object, then you consult the program again. Since the program closes, time needs to be spent finding where you left off. And even worse, the night vision mode (red display only) is reset so all dark adaptation is gone as soon as you look at the screen.

Long explanation to get to the questions...is there a way to keep the program active after power off? Is this behavior typicall of all programs installed to the SD card? Is this a device bug, a WM6 bug, software bug, or NOT a bug?

I tried to get answers at the Astromist forum, but no one there seems to know anything about WM6 or the i760. It doesn't sound like the developer has a WM6 pda yet, although everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sunger View Post
    1) Is there a way to keep the program active after power off?
    2) Is this behavior typicall of all programs installed to the SD card?
    3) Is this a device bug, a WM6 bug, software bug, or NOT a bug?
    1) If the program was installed on device memory and not on the storage card, the program would still be active after it goes to sleep (what you called power off). Since you installed it on the card, and since card access is shut down to preserve power during sleep, then no, the program will not be active.

2) Yes. That is also why programs that you have actively running as a Today Plug-in should not be installed on the card.

3) Not a bug as the purpose of the sleep function is to save battery life.

Your only recourse is prior to using your program, go into settings -> system -> power -> uncheck "Turn off device is not used for X minutes". Remember to re-recheck it once you are done.

Cool!

I've been wondering why Opera shuts down whenever my device sleeps. I couldn't find any other report of why... and now I know! Running it on card. Who knew? Not me.

Thank you.