+ Reply to Thread
    "WM2003SE fanatic..." RedBaronK's Avatar

Anyone own garmin mobile 10 for smartphones?

I never used a GPS unit before so I was wondering if all GPS bluetooth units out there require a microsd to be used in order to work.....

mobile 10 works fine with the phone, but I find it a real disadvantage in having to use the microsd with the maps in it for the GPS to work on the phone. because of this, i have to swap out microsd cards whenever I am finished using the GPS and want to go back to using my normal card and its really annoying.

anyone know if there are any other GPS units out there that work with i760 that does NOT require any kind of a special microsd card to be inserted to use?
    Mr. Belding's on speed dial #3, right after Screech.

If you search the dark alleyways of the interwebs hard enough, you can find "versions" of TomTom 6 and Garmin Mobile XT that can run off maps loaded onto your own storage card.

Do not ask me for links as I don't know of any.

I visited a Garmin store on 11/23. That day they began selling a software-only version of mobile 10 for PPC. $99.00 list does not include the GPS receiver. I didn't bother to find out if this version requires the specific microSD. I already have a Mini Freedom GPS receiver on my keychain, so this version appeals to me. However, I can't yet find the software-only version on the Garmin website or anywhere else online.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

The software is called Garmin XT. Here's the link to the Garmin page:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=11413

You can also get there by going through the "Garmin Mobile Buyers Guide:"
    https://buy.garmin.com/gmbg/start.faces

It comes preinstalled on it's own microSD card, and is locked to that card to prevent piracy However, it will work with other Bluetooth receivers and you can swap the card between your phone and other compatible devices (it comes with SD and mini-SD adapters).

Semsons has it for $90. It looks like a good solution if you already have a GPS receiver. I was torn between it and TomTom 6, but went with TomTom for now because I like the driving view more.

Mobile XT came on C disk with my Garmin receiver

I just bought a Garmin Mobile 10 receiver Mobile XT combo and it came with a CD. Got it from Amazon for $123 complete. Installed the Mobile XT software from the CD onto my own 2 GB Sandisk card. The software took only a small percentage of the card. I guess I will put maps on the rest of the card? Or does the Mobile XT access the internet for maps? I know it says that it consults the internet Garmin server prior to producing the route. And for traffic and speed camera updates. I have not used it yet but the CD says it installed City Navigator North America NT v8--fully routable maps with updated road details throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico and nearly 6million POI. If the maps are already on there, or it contacts the server for the map, it looks like I have a lot of room left over on this card. I have not gotten around to pairing this with my 760 yet. I'll hopefully get around to it this weekend and update with what I find.
    PS the CD also had a software application for Laptops-called NRoute.

"WM2003SE fanatic..." RedBaronK's Avatar
    hey let me know how it goes for you and if that CD installed everything u needed on your storage card at a fraction of the size... its really pissing me off using this included microsd and with 1.1 gig of map data on a 2 gig card with copy protection.

the GPS receiver seems nice, like i siad my only gripe is having to have this stupid microsd in the phone 24.7
    Mr. Belding's on speed dial #3, right after Screech.

So far--so good

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronK View Post
    hey let me know how it goes for you and if that CD installed everything u needed on your storage card at a fraction of the size... its really pissing me off using this included microsd and with 1.1 gig of map data on a 2 gig card with copy protection.

the GPS receiver seems nice, like i siad my only gripe is having to have this stupid microsd in the phone 24.7
    Well with the generalized map loaded from the CD onto my Sandisk card plus the XT software it took up 127 MB. I was able to view map of North America and drill down to my location. Sitting on my front porch with a view of northern sky and elevation starting at 20 degrees extending to 60 degrees above horiz. the x10 picked up 8 good satellites in under 10 seconds. There are no detailed maps installed--only the general one showing towns, communities, cities and major roads. No city maps with street names yet. I can navigate from my location to a town or to a pinned point on the map. (Towns show up as just a small circle). My 1st navigation, the software routed me 13 miles out of the way for a 2 mile known trip. After saving my home location, I was able to drive out 15 miles into the country and asked the software to route me home from that current location. It gave me a map and turn by turn directions which I was able to use to return home. When I tried to enter an address to navigate to, a box popped up saying I needed to go online to Garmin to download more detailed maps. But it does look like I will be able to load them onto my own non-locked Sandisk card so I can change or update whenever I wish. I don't know whether I can download direct from Garmin to my phone, or whether I will have to go through my PC to get the maps. I suspect that when I get the detailed maps it will use up about the same amount of space that you are using on yours. At least the micro SD is not locked, unless downloading and installing the maps locks it. I'll first see if there are any maps still on the CD (Oops, it's really a DVD, I just noticed.) Anyway, having fun and learning a lot so far.

BTW the software looks great. In settings you can choose routes for Car,motorcycle---bike---pedestrian--and several other choices. Also voice directions, but doesn't look like it pronounces the street names. Just, turn right onto road # or in so many feet.

Unhappy Well, the detailed maps are on the DVD disc, but...

Have to install "MapInstall" From the disc to my PC. Also puts the map files on my PC. Then, with phone connected via Activesync I use MapInstall to load the maps onto storage card. Only 1 problem. The MapInstall program did not install properly to my PC and I had to send details to Garmin support techs. Can't reinstall because I can't find the install file on the disc. Apparently have to go thru an entire reinstall of Mobile XT to get to the MapInstall installation. OW.

Smile Finally

Finally got it all done. Had to get help from Garmin support and remove / reinstall everything. PC program MapInstall had to have an unlock code. After that I can install whatever maps I want to the card--one state or city or any combination. Entire Southeast US took up 350 MB. Entire US, Canada, Puerto Rico will fit onto the 2 GB card.
    Have not tried putting anything except Garmin Software & maps on the card yet though.