Poll: Do you use a data or a non-data plan?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poll: Data vs Non-Data plans for i760 users

Curious as to how many i760 users have a data plan vs those who don't (and just use wifi)

i cant imagine the phone without it.

Well, being an airline pilot, and having the laptop with me on the road, just trying to justify if having a data plan is worthwhile on the phone.

If you plan on using the push email feature built into WM6, then yes. I suggest using a hosted Exchange 2007 service.

If you want the ability to tether your laptop to the phone for EVDO surfing when you don't have access to free Wifi, then yes.

I love my data plan; I just wish it weren't so expensive. I don't like to depend upon finding a wi-fi hotspot. Plus, wi-fi drains the battery faster that EDVO.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I love my data plan; I just wish it weren't so expensive. I don't like to depend upon finding a wi-fi hotspot. Plus, wi-fi drains the battery faster that EDVO.
    I second that. I thought I would be using the WiFi almost exclusively. Now I find I am addicted to having email and internet access wherever I may be--as long as there is EVDO coverage, which there almost always is. So, I am hooked on the Data Plan. Using the EVDO is so much easier than trying to connect at a WiFi hotspot anyway. It's just so transparent.
    I say bite the bullet and get it. I don't think you'll look back with any regrets other than the $premium. But, hey-now I don't have to visit Starbucks any more. Was spending way more than the data plan on a couple of their coffees. Now I can enjoy McDonald's coffee and still surf the net.

Apologies if you already know this, but my understanding is that you cannot use a pda phone without having a data plan:
    1) u/l data for ~$45/month, or
    2) payg and hope you don't go over 10 Mb or whatever the limit is, or
    3) payg and a data block (using wi-fi only), but protecting your wallet. No MMS msgs and no data unless you're in a wi-fi environment, or
    4) ? other options I've missed?

On another topic, did you ever resolve the time issue?

im a college student, cant afford the expensive data plan right now, I use the wifi all around campus so it works out great for me

Quote Originally Posted by jboyd2006 View Post
    im a college student, cant afford the expensive data plan right now, I use the wifi all around campus so it works out great for me
    I'm in the same boat man, Verizon charges out the ass for data usage. If it were around $25 a month then I might consider it. My entire campus is Wi-Fi covered (Univ S Carolina) and I'm either at my house (wi-fi too) or on campus most of the day so it all works out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Apologies if you already know this, but my understanding is that you cannot use a pda phone without having a data plan:
    3) payg and a data block (using wi-fi only), but protecting your wallet. No MMS msgs and no data unless you're in a wi-fi environment, or

From what I understand, you are not required to have a data plan on the i760 (regardless of what Verizon may tell you). All I did on my phone whenever it tries to dial up the data line I changed it to a dummy number and it no longer connects to Verizon, only my Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by xavious85; 12-08-2007 at 07:18 PM.

I can't afford it either. I would love to run it, but I can't justify the cost. I don't need it enough to pay $50 a month. Maybe 20-25, not 50.

I find it hard to believe that Verizon needs $50 a month to deliver that service, but they hold all the cards.
    CurtisZZZ

Pda phones need data plans

At least, according to this info.

AFAIK, yes, all Verizon PDA phones require data plans.

There are semantics involved, as VZW considers pay-as-you-go and data block as data plans. Those who have data block and think they have no data plan technically do have a data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by xavious85 View Post
    From what I understand, you are not required to have a data plan on the i760 (regardless of what Verizon may tell you). All I did on my phone whenever it tries to dial up the data line I changed it to a dummy number and it no longer connects to Verizon, only my Wi-Fi.
    how did you change it do a dummy number?

if you don't have a data plan w vzw, can you still send text messages. I just got my pda phone, and had to get the plan. I am a student, and can't really afford it, but I do text alot.

there is a lengthy discussion of this over at HoFo, and yes it is largely semantics, but for anyone reading this thread in the future who is unfamiliar, here is the breakdown of how data plans work on PDA phones at verizon:

1) all PDA phones must have some sort of data plan, no if's and's or but's

2) (this is where the semantics come in) You have your choice of several different data plans, but most people seem to choose the all or nothing option
    2a) sign up for a subscription plan which runs 4 GB/month plan (what most people refer to as the unlimited plan) for $40 something a month - believe it or not, this is by far the most affordable option
    2b) sign up for the pay per use plan, which last i knew was $.15/kilobyte. now, obviously this is outrageously expensive as it works out to $15/megabyte. so, people have Verizon put on a datablock which means the phone can't access any data features - to include picture and video messaging - to make sure the phone doesn't accidentally start accessing data features without the user knowing it and running up ridiculous phone bills. this plan is what people refer to when they say they have no data plan.

semantics? absolutely. the most correct description is to say you have the pay per kilobyte plan with the data block, since you are officially enrolled in a data plan, you're just not using any data services. however, in practical effect, you have no data plan because, well, you're not able to use any data services because of the data block.

it does all get a little confusing though for new folks.

as for me, i refuse to pay what verizon is charging for data. speeds are too slow and i don't get near the value i think i ought to out of a data plan at the $40 price point. so, i go for the data block and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    Well, being an airline pilot, and having the laptop with me on the road, just trying to justify if having a data plan is worthwhile on the phone.
    Maybe think of it this way. Is the time you would save every month not having to mess around with finding and setting up your wifi connection every time you want to get on the net worth the cost of the plan. If you can justify ~$40 of your time then you have your answer. Not to mention the extra charging you will have to do and not having the ability to tether your laptop if you can't find a wi-fi spot and really need internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    if you don't have a data plan w vzw, can you still send text messages. I just got my pda phone, and had to get the plan. I am a student, and can't really afford it, but I do text alot.
    As has been duly and abundantly noted, you do have a data plan for which you may or may not choose to use. Without having Verizon do it there are options to make sure you do not log onto the network by deleting the calling information from your phone. Try searching the forum using words like "disabling data plan." You should find something quickly.

Also, you can definately sign up for a text plan and it is billed separetly from their data. However, you will not be able to send or retrieve picture messaging through that plan. That function is only allowed using one of Verizon's data plans.
    CurtisZZZ

I won't give Verizon any money for their overly-priced data plan. Especially in my area, where there is no EVDO access at all, but yet the dinky little town about 30 miles away has EVDO. I won't pay $45 a month for 1x access.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

I am going to offer my i730 to my daughter as a phone/PDA and Verizon told me they can disable data calling on the phone as I am certain she will not want to pay for a data plan.

Professional Phone User Thundaar's Avatar
    I heard Verizon has dropped the unlimited data plan for the blackberry to $30 per month.....

Why is this??

I might consider the unlimited data plan if the cost was under 30 bucks...