+ Reply to Thread

Question newbie - dvd to SD ? & napster files to mp3? - and more...

please be gentle!

Coming from the world of regular phones and no mp3 players. (had a Sony Clie years back, so the PDA part makes sense to me, for the most part)

I would LOVE to get a copy of one of my DVDs (Chicago) to watch when I'm stuck waiting places, but I can't find a program that seems to work. Could be user error too since I'm new to all this. I read over 30 pages of posts and didn't see anything here.

Also, we pay for Napster, but I can't get any of the music to play on my i760. I think they have some sort of block on their songs, but if we're paying for them, don't we have the right to put them our our SD card?? Again, I've tried a few programs, but can't get anything to work.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get a Napster song to work as a ringtone. The only programs I can find to edit them (Saw Audacity recommended here) run into the same problem that they can't work with the Napster song.

Please help, and remember, I'm a newbie to all this, so brief explanations with lots of abbreviations will leave me more confused than when I started this search 2 weeks ago.

Oh, and just for the heck of it - since I'm here - live TV? Is it possible? Tried something called ORB that I saw posted here, but it didn't work for me. Couldn't get anything live. Shows that were recorded on my pc showed up, but wouldn't play (some message about a wrong format), could see documents well though. But the program really slowed down my pc, so I removed it.

Thanks for all the help. I've learned a lot reading all these posts!

For ripping DVDs I use: Spb Mobile DVD - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House

I'm not aware of the music subscription services working on WM6 yet. I am hopeful that Rhapsody will offer something. If you have a Rhapsody ToGo account, you can download subscription music to your microSD card.

For live TV I use: Sling Media - SlingPlayer Mobile Overview The Slingbox is the most cost effective, flexible and highest quality way to watch the cable stations you subscribe to at home on your phone.
    Last edited by jfourman; 12-09-2007 at 08:21 AM.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Your Napster songs aren't working because they are encoded with DRM (Digital Rights Managament). Not to sound rude, but because you are technically renting the songs, you don't have the right to put them on your PDA. But, I think napster offers a feature that lets you put the music on your mp3 player. I'm not sure if that extends to PDA's or not. I haven't been subscribed to Napster for a while now, but there might be a browser that supports their html portal (where you can go on the web to stream the music). You might want to try a few different browsers. Let us know if you figure it out!

Try importing the Napster tunes into WMP, then transferring to the SD card within WMP. It works with Yahoo music.

Those subscription services won't let you transfer the songs to any kind of media device. We had a service like that at my university where you could share the songs that they had on their server but there was no way to get them onto something like an iPod. Just one of the problems with 'renting' songs.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionOfEckerd View Post
    Those subscription services won't let you transfer the songs to any kind of media device. We had a service like that at my university where you could share the songs that they had on their server but there was no way to get them onto something like an iPod. Just one of the problems with 'renting' songs.
    Well, you aren't right. I subscribe to Rhapsody ToGo and my 3 kids each have a Sansa MP3 player on which they download any of millions of songs on the Rhapsody service. The limitations are that you can only download to 3 activated MP3 players and the songs stop playing after 90 days which means you simply have to resync them again. Rhapsody Unlimited is $14.95 a month for all you can drink. My family listens on their MP3's, any PC and our home stereo. We haven't bought a new CD or paid for individual song downloads in 2 years. You can download to WM6 devices as well. Unfortunately, my kids took all of our 3 MP3 player activations.

If you think you are going to spend more than $14.95 a month on CDs and song downloads, Rhapsody is a good way to go because you can listen to any music that comes to your mind at any time you choose.
    Last edited by jfourman; 12-09-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

I'll ask folks to keep in mind that there are many different subscription services, each with their own terms and conditions and DRM stances.

Some absolutely do permit you to use purchased songs on portable devices. Others don't. To find out what type you have, you'll need to consult your particular service agreement, and you'll then need to see what methods of transferring files to portable media they support if it's allowed. The key is making sure that both the song and the license data make it to the device.