+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Unable to Connect to PC

I just got my i760 and love it, except that I cannot connect to my pc (XP SP2). I tried everything mentioned in these posts, Iv'e re-installed many times, changed settings many times, re-started many times, but I am having no luck. After I re-install ActiveSync I get this message:
    i760.bmp

Can anyone help me??

Are you using an account that's not an administrator on the machine? The "Access is denied" message makes me suspicious that you're not logged in on an account that has the authority to add drivers - a Limited Account.

I am the computer administrator. I turned off my firewall in case that was blocking access, but no luck. Any other suggestions?

I had to go into settings>connections>USB to PC and uncheck the "Enable advanced network functionality" to get mine to work.

Yep, I tried that too. I'm thinking it may be the cable as nothing else works.

Are you on XP or Vista?

In your taskbar, does your network status show disabled or the red "X" even though you can still connect to the internet?

Hello Indie,
    I read your above response and I'm having a similar problem to mszach. And yes, I do have a red X through my network status. What are your thoughts on this?

Eruic.
    Last edited by sweet i760; 12-10-2007 at 12:44 PM.

I have the same problem. Just bought my i760 today and it will not connect at all to sync, not even the first time. Whats going on?

Same here. Syncing worked fine, USB and Bluetooth, for first 2 weeks, then suddenly stopped working. Not sure why.
    It's been quite a trip! Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm m515 - Kyocera 7135 - Samsung i730 - Samsung i760

Did you folks see my comments in this thread? Perhaps they will help?

Hello Dzanda,
    Yes I had read your comments and when I checked the Connection Settings in ActiveSync, that particular radial was already selected so that was not the case. thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

I also confirmed that the "Enable advanced network functionality" box was UNchecked w/ in the USB to PC settings box in the Connections tab w/in Settings.

Something I have noticed though is that if I select ActiveSync (on my phone this time) from the start menu and I go to the menu and select "Connections" (the "Synchronize all PCs using this connection:" box is checked) that the dropdown menu sometimes will have two options: USB Serial and USB. And othertimes it only has one option: USB Serial.

I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not however seeing as I"M not a telcom person I' figured I'd put it out there, you never know.

Eric.

So.... nothing yet then? Its really annoying to buy a $400+ phone and not be able to connect it to your computer through the given hardware... Too bad the phone is awesome that it's only an irritation lol.

My suggestion is to plug it in, get your error, then leave the phone connected. Go to Device Manager and look for devices with the warning icon, and delete them. Then unplug your phone and reconnect. Perhaps you'll reinstall the correct software.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet i760 View Post
    Hello Indie,
    I read your above response and I'm having a similar problem to mszach. And yes, I do have a red X through my network status. What are your thoughts on this?

Eruic.
    Right click "Computer"
    Click "Manage"
    Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    Click "Groups"
    Right click "Administrators"
    Click "Add to group..."
    Click "Add"
    Click "Advanced"
    Click "Find Now"
    Double click "Local Service"
    Click "Ok"
    "NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    Click "Ok"
    Close Computer Management and reboot.

If that doesn't work then try this

click on My Computer
    select Manage
    select Device Manager from System tools.
    Highlight you network adapter and select its properties.
    Click the Power Management tab and deselect the box to Allow this computer to turn this device off.
    Last edited by Indie; 12-10-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Hi Indie, thank you for the tip. Seeing as I am not a System Admin and don't really know much about the inner workings of my computer. Let me ask a couple of safety questions first:

1) Will the above mentioned suggestions work on Windows XP Professional? That is what I'm running and I noticed that in one of the final steps of your first suggestion that it mentioned "NT Authority\Local Service".

2) IN your second suggestion of shutting down the Network Adapter: what will that do to my computer? Will it cause any harm or problems? What do I do once I've gone to the Power Managment tab and deslected the box to allow the computer to turn my network adapter off? What happens then? Do I turn it back on?

Thanks for your help Indie, I just want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I start fuddling around with parts of my computer which I don't really understand.

Eric.

I'm not sure if they will, as far as I know, the problem only persist in Vista. The second suggestion doesn't shut down the adapter, it just doesn't allow the computer to do it automatically, which can solve some problems if the case is that it is doing it automatically.

just a random thought to throw into the pot. try going into settings > system > data connection and make sure that it is set on Internal Data Call. If it is set as modem through usb, it will not connect to sync because then your pc will read it as an aircard, not a syncable device?

Again, just a thought, and my apologies if this has been mentioned already.
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Hey there INdie,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I did both however neither of them removed the X from my LAN icon. The message was " a cable is disconnected".

I was online with techsupport last night and this morning. I"ve posted my results on my other thread which I"ll be moving to seeing as I'm duplicating my efforts at this point by posting on two different threads about the same thing.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/samsung-sch-i760/97964-computer-won-t-recognize-i760-synch.html