+ Reply to Thread

Thinking about swithcing to HTC Mogul 6800

How confident are you guys that Verizon/Samsung will come up with a solution to the bluetooth issue?

Reason I ask this is I have to do an exchange on my i760 due to a problem with the i760 and I have the option to trade into the HTC xv6800 Mogul.

I LOVE the i760, hard dial keys, A2DP, small form factor, nice slider, picsel browser. BUT what I DON'T LIKE is that there are no car cradles for it that will give stereo output, the i760 has the bluetooth issue, proprietary connector, and accidentally hanging up on someone once in a while due to the talk button on the side.

The 6800 already has a car cradle out with stereo output you just slide it in and aux ready, no bluetooth issues, blackberry like scroll wheel, rev A upgradeable, 2+ megapixel camera,uses standard USB connection, BUT what I DON'T LIKE is that it is a little heavier, and the look isn't as slick.

What BT issue? My BT Jawbone works great with i760. the red "end" button on the side can be alleviated with AEButton Plus. I configured the "end" button for no effect with a single press, and the normal hang up with 2 presses.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    What BT issue? My BT Jawbone works great with i760. the red "end" button on the side can be alleviated with AEButton Plus. I configured the "end" button for no effect with a single press, and the normal hang up with 2 presses.
    The issue of the bluetooth box unchecking when using multiple bluetooth devices (see sticky at the top of this forum)

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglow99 View Post
    The issue of the bluetooth box unchecking when using multiple bluetooth devices (see sticky at the top of this forum)
    Wow, I wasn't aware of this bug. I have not experienced it and I have 2 BT devices paired with the i760.

PDA Phone Newbie
    I've also been looking into this. Seems there aren't a whole lot of benefits though. Same screen, relatively the same size, has double the onboad ROM (256mb), has the scroll wheel, is a pre-existing device with accessories, and no bluetooth issues (that we know of yet). Its even about the same price I think. According to some, the Samsung has a better quality phone component, and thankfully has the outer keypad.
    So personally I don't see a whole lot of compelling differences, at least in my case. Its not really a vast improvement by any means (despite my HTC happy friends).

BT issues? Since when? There's even a sticky on it? I haven't experienced anything at all.

THe bluetooth issue that he is refering to is the one where you can't automatically switch between two audio bluetooth devices without having to phyiscally reconnect them like they could on the i-730.

Not all who wander are lost Thayer's Avatar
    im sitting in the verizonwireless store returning my mogul right now. I don't like the keyboard. the square buttons are larger but still harder to operate. the keyboard comes out the right side...im right handed so I don't like that either. it feels slower to me. it doesnt take my 6 gig card either. I have the stereo adapter for samsung. phone quality isn't great. square directional pad isn't comfy. my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
    im sitting in the verizonwireless store returning my mogul right now. I don't like the keyboard. the square buttons are larger but still harder to operate. the keyboard comes out the right side...im right handed so I don't like that either. it feels slower to me. it doesnt take my 6 gig card either. I have the stereo adapter for samsung. phone quality isn't great. square directional pad isn't comfy. my thoughts

I just did the exact opposite... I just traded my Samsung for the 6800 and so far I am liking my decision. They both have there pros and cons, but the 6800 just seems a bit better overall. I will post something a little more detailed later...

I've played with both - very much a personal decision. As mentioned, phones are very similar. I feel the i760 is sturdier and a better made phone. However, tweaking is much further along on the 6800 AND it has Rev A upgrade ability. I like the numeric keypad on the 760. But the camera is a bit better on the 6800. So many similarities, but overall I feel the form factor of the i760 is a bit better - so I'm stickin with it. My i700 didn't treat me wrong - nor did my i730.. so i760 it is!

Quote Originally Posted by robgora View Post
    THe bluetooth issue that he is refering to is the one where you can't automatically switch between two audio bluetooth devices without having to phyiscally reconnect them like they could on the i-730.
    Again I ask...what BT issue? Like MR Pacs said, switching between 2 devices hasn't created any problems for me.

You could always read the sticky... but...

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Again I ask...what BT issue? Like MR Pacs said, switching between 2 devices hasn't created any problems for me.
    The BT problem is that if you have multiple BT devices paired to the i760 (for example, I have my car's hands-free setup, along with my headset), the i760 will not automatically link to whichever one is active.

When I was using my old v710, I could get in my car, and the link would automatically establish itself. When I left the car and put on my headset, the link to the headset would fire up. Then when I went back to the car, the car link would re-establish itself. This does not happen with the i760. Instead, I have to manually tell the phone which of the paired devices it is to use.

That is the BT issue with the i760.

Why don't you check the sticky. May not be an issue for you.

BT issues? Since when? There's even a sticky on it? I haven't experienced anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Why don't you check the sticky. May not be an issue for you.
    Could be if you JUST bought the phone that the issue has been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglow99 View Post
    Could be if you JUST bought the phone that the issue has been resolved.
    That would be some pretty important information, no? If anyone has a phone that doesn't demonstrate the BT flaw, would you please speak up and confirm it? And tell us when you purchased your i760 and what it's version number is!

Having recently returned the XV6800 for an i760, I think they are comparable but different. The i760 is a better phone, in my opinion. The phone on the XV6800 achieves only adequate volume at best. The XV6800 is far harder to dial quickly as it lacks the external keypad. The XV6800 has more keys around its edges; these can be confusing and easily pressed while pulling the phone out. On the upside, the XV6800 has a more responsive phone which lacks some of the lags attributed to the i760, perhaps because it ahs a second processor dedicated to phone functions. The jog wheel on the XV6800 is also an advantage which I miss on the i760. Overall, I am happy I moved to the i760 for better phone function. Just one opinion, though

I went and checked out the 6800 and opted to keep the Sammy because it seemed to be made better. The 6800 has a plastic body that was already coming apart at the seams on the display model. One of the corners on the back was actually rising up from the rest of the phone and gave an annoying plastic "squeek" when I pushed it down. The i760 seems to be a better built solid and sturdy device. For what it's worth