+ Reply to Thread

Weird reminder behavior!

I got a i760 right after it came out and retired my Treo 700wx. Love the new phone and I use ActiveSync OTA to sync to my mailbox on our Exchange 2003 SP2 server. Works fine for the most part.

However, I've got this very strange Reminder behavior on my Exchange mailbox. Right after I got this phone, every night just after midnight I will get reminders for the upcoming day's appts but for their PREVIOUS occurence! I have tried 2 different Outlook clients, both 2003 and 2007. Nothing seems to matter.

So, every morning I have a 9am recurring meeting. At midnight, I will get a reminder for the previous meeting that is 15 hours past due. If I have a recurring weekly appt, the reminder will be 6 days past due. It is bizarre!

I have dismissed these appointments in both my email client and on my phone but sure enough, the next time midnight comes around, here I get these past due reminders ONLY in Outlook...and ONLY running in Cached mode...wtf?

The reminders on the phone works fine, except dismissing a reminder in Outlook doesn't dismiss on the phone and vice versa. Could have sworn my Treo did this correctly.

It really is a weird problem. My buddy upgraded his PPC6700 to WM6 about the same time and he is experiencing the same problem.

As a trouble shooting step, I disabled syncing of Calendar items on my phone and the problem goes away. Re-enable and the problems come back.

I originally thought this was a DST change issue, but my Exchange Server is up to date on patches, as are my Outlook clients.

Anyone have an idea or clue what could be wrong?

Thanks

There have been reports of issues with recurring all-day events that have a category assigned not synching properly. You might try removing the category and seeing what happens.

i think i have this behaviour as well! my recurring appointments do not have categories in them, but i will get reminders (on my desktop) for meetings in the past as described above. not really a major disaster, but it is a minor annoyance...

blessings,
    daniel

The platforms don't keep track of the state of reminders on each other, so the Desktop will absolutely remind you of appointments that you have if it's never had the chance to do so (by being closed). So dismissing a reminder on your i760 absolutely won't tell the PC "He's cleared this reminder" when you sync.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    There have been reports of issues with recurring all-day events that have a category assigned not synching properly. You might try removing the category and seeing what happens.
    Thanks but none of my appts are recurring all-day events.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    The platforms don't keep track of the state of reminders on each other, so the Desktop will absolutely remind you of appointments that you have if it's never had the chance to do so (by being closed). So dismissing a reminder on your i760 absolutely won't tell the PC "He's cleared this reminder" when you sync.
    Thanks...but I definitely are dismissing the reminders in Outlook. So at my 9am appt, I get the reminder in Outlook and on my phone, I dismiss both and at following midnight, I get a past due reminder for the appt that occurred in the past.

I suspect it's because there's a sync that's going on. If you clear the reminder on the phone after the reminder on the PC, it's likely to have the appt on the phone as updated "later," and it's thinking you need that reminder in Outlook as a result.

My suspicion anyway. It's a bit silly, yes, but that's easy to test. Create an appointment in Outlook with a reminder coming up very quickly and let it sync. Repeat with another one 5 minutes later. For the first one, clear the Outlook reminder before you clear the phone. For the second one, clear the phone before Outlook. Close outlook and let 'em sync to see what happens. I'll be the first one gives you a reminder in Outlook again.

This could also be a symptom of syncing two different calendars, now that I think about it. Are you syncing to more than one?

No, I'm just syncing my one calendar in my Exchange mailbox.

The problem with testing is that it takes till midnight when I will get the past due reminders in Outlook.

If what you say that the platforms are completely separate and dismissals on one are not processed on the other, than dismissing a reminder on my phone after it has been dismissed in Outlook shouldn't have any effect?

All I know is once I turn off just the syncing of my calendar on my phone, my past due reminders no longer come up. WEIRD!!!

Oh I can't freaking believe this. At 11pm I do a hard reset, setup Activesync to sync everything Plus the calendar again. Then go thru reinstalling all my apps and right at 12:15am...I get a 15 hour past due notice in my Outlook for a 9am meeting that I know I dismissed in Outlook right at that time.

Arrrrrgh!

Still having this issue...anyone seeing this?

I have exactly the same problem as sabasigh - exactly - reminders in Outlook 6 days past due that were dismissed from the computer, and the T-Mobile Wing. I read something about checking the 'Sync Issues' folder in Outlook for conflicts, but there's nothing there. If anyone has figured out the fix, I'd appreciate knowing. I'll be checking with our company's IT expert on Email syncronization between Outlook at the phones also and will report back if i learn anything of use.