+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

need verizon help? ask me!

Okay guys, a couple of you are aware, but I work for verizon and am a verizon nerd! What that means, is if any of you have any questions about verizon, you can feel free to contact me. pdaphonehome has pulled my stick out of the fire several times back with my 6700, so anyone here can know full well that I will shoot straight with you and not give you the regular sales run around. If you have any questions about plans, how things work on verizon, discounts...anything at all, contact me and I will get you the best posssible answer as soon as possible.
    Last edited by pillagingjack; 12-10-2007 at 10:36 AM.

I'm very new to Smartphones and this website. You say "feel free to contact me" but I don't find any information on how to contact you.

Send PM to the right of each post...

Thanks PJ! Here's my question:

What happened to the "new family data plans" that were supposed to appear in November? Last I heard, VZW rolled it out for the Pearl, but then nothing. Is it ever going to come for the i760?

Thanks!

PM Sent! Thanks!

So...is this a question you can answer?

Why PM? Why not open posts and answers? That would better serve the purpose of the forum, would it not?

Here's a question for the Verizon dude. Why does VZW lock things down and rip things out? For example, locked down GPS, no ICS or BT DUN in WM6? And is there going to be a ROM upgrade unlocking the GPS and providing EVDO Rev A support on the 6800 as Sprint is doing on their Mogul?

Thanks. Any public response would be welcome.

I'd like to caution everyone to please tone down their posts. We moderators have already taken action on a few, and would like to avoid doing so for more. Aggressive, insulting, confrontational posts aren't appropriate and won't be tolerated.

Why PMs? Perhaps the poster doesn't wish to reveal information that would allow him/her to be identified publicly.

Why does Verizon lock things down? Simple - they improve their margins by doing so by either selling services or hardware. They're a business that's adopted a particular model, and it's worth noting that the past few months have seen them begin to open that model up and provide for greater device support using more widely established network protocols.

This is intended to be a friendly, helpful place. Please do your best to keep it so.

Absolutely right!! Usually, if you have a question that requires attention rather than a straight yes or no answer, I give out my office number to call, but I don't want to do that on a post in order to make sure I don't get spammed with calls and such.

Also, when in the forums, to be honest I am looking at things that catch my eye, whether it be something pertaining to me or someone blatantly asks for verizon help or something like that.

I do apologize about the delay to peoples answers, I have been quite sick for the past week and a half, but I am back and ready to answer questions, so I will be rolling out some answers to those who have pm'ed me.

Have a great day guys!!
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Oh, also, I checked into the family data plans. That is something I heard about but apparently never came into fruition. What they did do was release a new data plan for blackberry's specifically if they are only going to be using a pop3 or imap email account. If the owner was going to use an enterprise server or a work server, then they have to go with the original 44.99 plan. That is the only new news regarding data plans.
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate

Thanks for the response. I kinda figured as much, but I was hoping maybe there was something out there on the horizon. I pay for my own data plan, and $45 is pretty steep. I'd rather see something in the $30 range for non-BB. Of course, I'm just a customer

I think this should be the subject of a whole sub forum! "Ask the Verizon Guy!"...
    Anyway, questions, I have many...been with Verizon since before the called it Verizon in my neck of the woods. Anyway here's one... I saw this mentioned by someone else in the i760 forum... It appears many of us got our i760s via insurance replacement for the i730. And all the "insurance replacements" were NIB (new in the box) units (mine was). It was mentioned that if Assurion sends a NEW phone as replacement then Vzw can warranty/support/replace the phone under the same terms as if the phone was acquired through Vzw. Is this True? The reason I ask is it seems Assurion has a different warranty, even on new phones, than Vzw does on the same phone.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I would be honored if the moderator gods would see fit to have this be a sub-forum.

You are completely correct when you say that it seems that there is a different warranty for Asurion phones... Off the top of my head, I can't remember how it works, but its really screwy.. I will get the hard facts and post them here in about an hour....

Nate

Another question for you pillagingjack,

Is the codec switch mentioned in this thread here:
    Change codec from EVRC to 13k Vocoder for better call quality.

Alright to do? Does Verizon have an issue with it, or is it alright?

I noticed on my old i730 that I could "dial up" at very low speeds and browse the web and not be charged. Is there a faster (even if it's not EVDO) connection that I could use that I wouldn't be charged on?

Also is there any word on i760 syncronization with macs (other than missing sync), and what's the deal with bluetooth?

Thanks.a
    p.s. I don't have a data plan, but would get one if it cost about $10-$15 and was unlimited...

Konig Wolf...totally safe!! no problem what so ever with the network. I have done the change to all of the phones I own, and on some it made a huge difference and on some it didn't. for example, on my lg 9800, it made a world of difference. on the 760, I have not noticed anything. then again I live in chicago in the thick of prime reception, so maybe it doesnt effect me here as much as it would somewhere where reception is less prevelent? All I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. Either way, its not going to make any difference to verizon.

Nate

What a great thread--thanks for making yourself available! Here's my question--any word on when Wireless Sync will support Outlook 2007 and Vista?? Can't believe that hasn't been addressed by VZW yet.

Thx!

Hey PillagingJack--question: does the i760 support receiving EMS messages? Even if it just breaks them up into separate texts? My XV6700 doesn't--they never arrive.

VILLAGER....the current way that vzw is set up is that any data call, whether evdo or 1x, your going to be doing a data transfer. Now whether you could dial up with a local isp number is unknown to me and that is something I will check out for you. It would seem to me that even if your dialing a different number, your still using the verizon network to access data, so it seems like it would charge for data anyway. The only way around that is the wifi.... I will def dig into this and see if I can come up with any hidden work arounds in verizon though.

Nate

Hi all,

I'll vouch for PillagingJack, he helped me out immensely! Great guy, great service...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast