+ Reply to Thread

Best Bluetooth GPS Receiver for i760

I did a search in the forum but couldn't find a thread so I thought I would start one.

Can anybody suggest a GPS receiver that they are using with the Samsung i760 that works well and has no issues etc.

Thanks in advance

I just got a Globalsat BT-359 on Friday. Paired it with the phone with no problem (just remember to create an outgoing COM port). I'm new to GPS, but so far it's working great with Live Search, Google Maps, and TomTom Navigator 6.

It's not the smallest, but it's smaller than I expected and you could easily throw it in a pocket while walking around. As far as sensitivity goes, I haven't used it much, but so are I've had trouble picking up satellites from the tray at the base of my car's console.

I also have the Globalsat BT-359 - for about a month now. It mostly works great! It's been really good at picking up signals no matter where I'm at. The only problem (other than a picky 1st time setup) is that twice now I've had to "reset" the device. It's no big deal - just hold the power button for a few seconds - but I don't know why it went AWOL in the first place.

Alot of people here, including me, like the Freedom mini GPS or the newest model, the GPS 2000. My Freedom mini GPS is attached to my key chain. It is the size of my lexus key top and about 30% thicker. It connects well with the satellites, even inside buildings. I can leave it in my pocket and it will still get a signal. The charge lasts for about 10 hours of use. I use it with MS Live Search. I know Garmin and TomTom software both will work with it. I love it because of the size. I always have it with me since it is on my key chain. Since I also always have my phone, I can GPS anytime, anywhere.

A quick search will provide you much more information on the Freedom Mini
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

I have the Globalsat BT-359 as well. had it about a year no problems yet. battery life is very good, 1100mAH, it charges via a usb mini port, i can charge in anywhere with any usb mini cable. durable, i throw it around a lot. cheap, only spent $40 buck on it. accurate, i have only compared it side by side to a hp smartphone with built-in gps, but it has aways been dead on with my igo maps.

also search the i730 forums, their is tons of gps info their. 99% of the info in that forum is still relevant to the i760.

I like my Garmin Mobile 10. Great & quick at picking up satellites--as are most SirfStar III and later devices. Loading Garmin maps is a PITA though. I'm going to try to get it to work with Windows Live Maps. Don't think I want to pay Garmin $75 to update maps and go thru this hell again every year.

How do I setup this thing

I just bought a BT-359 and having issues setting it up. The phone says it paired but the GPS does not show connected. Also, not sure how to setup the com ports and the utility to test it won't run. says no a win pc program. I bought this on a guy from ebay just need some help getting this to work with GPSvp and Garmin free map...
    Any help is appreciated.

Use the phone's built-in 'External GPS' settings. Pick a Com port there and use that same Com port in your GPS software.

Back on topic: I'm using the iTrek Z1 solar BT GPS. I have it running at 5hz, and Garmin Mobile XT will actually work with it at 5hz.

I have a Globalsat Bluetooth GPS receiver (not sure if it's the 359 everyone else has but might be). I've had it for around 4-5 years now. I used it originally with iNav iGuidance in a HP Ipaq 5555 before there were PDA phones. It worked great. What I love about it is the battery life. It can go a good 8-10 hours on a charge so when hiking or biking, it always stays on. I dropped it one time on the ground and something snapped inside but it was just plastic and it didn't break the GPS. I replaced the internal battery about 6 months ago because it started to lose charge easier. Since then, it's been solid 8-10 hours again. I use it with iGuidance still on the 760 but also use Windows Live and it works great. It's fast to find a signal usually unless it's been off for a long time. It finds position a lot faster when you are standing in one spot when you first turn it on. If you're moving it could be 5-7 minutes before it really locks on. I think I paid around $125 on Evilbay.

I have this unit:

HAiCOM Hi-407 BT Bluetooth GPS receiver with cigarette lighter (Your Choice of Free Mount) - buy GPS Now

I bought the HAiCOM because I knew I would only need the GPS while I was driving. It mounts directly to the power-port under my center console/armrest - completely out of sight. It also has a USB port for charging my phone + my Creative Zen MP3 player + my Motorola handsfree unit(they both use the mini-USB interface to charge). It also has a mini firewire port so you can use it as a GPS mouse with your laptop. It works great! Best of all, I don't need to charge it.

Question What about Garmin Car GPS's

So does any one know if any of the Garmin GPS Car units that have built in bluetooth will work to get nav details into the i760? The details in the manuals I've read stated that it works as a hands-free phone device and will dial your phone for waypoints that are loaded in the GPS...

What about using them to get Nav coordinates into the i760? To be used in Google Maps for Mobile and Microsoft Live Search? here are the Garmin devices I'm looking at for car navigation but would like to know what functionality these would provide on my i760 also:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...TURE_BLUETOOTH

I also found this article but I was not sure if the Garmin devices I've linked to above will allow for this external GPS Functionality:

Bluetooth GPS Pairing Instruction for Samsung i760 - buyGPSnow.com Community

Thanks much...

Dugas...

My iTrek Z1 works fine with mine, but I do not use it much.

I'm asking about the non GPS logger units and also not those that are intended to be used with a PDA phone. I'm looking at buying a GPS for my car for navigation and would like to know if I should spend the extra money for a bluetooth model. I will only do this if it provided more functionality for my i760 besides hands free and assisted calling...

I want to use one of these garmins to provide GPS Nav data to my i760 for Google maps and live search. Will this work?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...TURE_BLUETOOTH

I have the Freedom 2000 and it is fantastic. I paid $100 for it and it was worth every penny. A google search turned up one for $60!!

Freedom GPS 2000 - CompUPlus Direct

Qstarz BT1000

Qstarz BT-Q1000X Bluetooth GPS Data Logger Travel Recorder (A-GPS, 200k way points, 66CH, WAAS, Auto On/Off, Q1000X, 1~5Hz) - buy GPS Now

I bought one of these Q 1000 about a year ago and have been very very happy. It was my second one. It does offer data logging which is a nice feature to have. I use mine for driving (with Tom Tom software) and for Geocaching.