+ Reply to Thread

Movies on I760 ... Vista issue?

First I want to say how helpful this forum has been. I am a first time PDA owner (I760) and had a lot of questions that I found answers to here after weeks of reading through the forums.

My one big problem I can't figure out is why I can't get movies to play on my 760. I downloaded TCPMP as a player since that seems to be the overwhelming favorite and I have tried about 5 different 'ripper' programs, none of which have worked without issues yet. I have a new Dell PC with Vista and (based on info I read elsewhere) that the issue may lie with the programs not performing correctly within Vista.

Does anyone know of this issue? Is there a program that has been used with Vista and definitely works? Is there a work around?

I'm fine with paying for a program as long as it works. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

How are you moving the movies over to the phone? In what format?

For best results, I'd use wmv files and manually copy them to a storage card in a card reader rather than trying to sync them to the phone. The sync is likely to take forever, and may fail due to timeouts as AS launches its sync every bleeding 5 minutes whether you like it or not.

I use SPB Mobile DVD and it works perfectly. No issues on my dell whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    How are you moving the movies over to the phone? In what format?

For best results, I'd use wmv files and manually copy them to a storage card in a card reader rather than trying to sync them to the phone. The sync is likely to take forever, and may fail due to timeouts as AS launches its sync every bleeding 5 minutes whether you like it or not.
    I'm using a card reader as well and copying directly to it on the dell. One of the programs I used was SPB Mobile DVD. My issue with that one was there was no sound, but the video looked great. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall again and see if I have any luck.

Vista's decoders are protected, so you need to have a version of the movie decoders available that isn't. If you visit SPB's web page and go to the support forum, they suggest some alternatives. This is almost certainly the cause of the "no sound" issue.

Since my trial period was up I just decided to purchase SPB Mobile DVD and for some reason it worked. I used a different DVD this time around, but not sure if that's a factor. I'll try the original DVD again tonight to see if it was. Thanks for the help.

Different DVDs can use different sound/video encoding schemes, so I suspect you'll be back to the same issue with the original DVD. Some older DVD's don't have any copy protection or protection that's so minimal it's just ignored. Newer ones tend to have the issues you discussed.

Is there anything that can be done to make those with the more advanced copy protection work?

Yes. Hit the support forums for SPB Mobile DVD and you'll find some pointers that will help.

Just wanted to confirm that I am indeed having the same issues with that DVD after ripping it again. I'll do some digging around and post if I come across a solution. Thanks again for the help.