+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Text Message spam

Did anyone else receive text message spam today?

I know several people who did; myself included.

Mine was from a @gmail.com address.
    Last edited by tange1; 12-10-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

I did.
    from raphael@aol.com
    about MEDS man555.com

I am so glad that I don't get the spam messages to my phone.
    MobileHawk aka: Some Bodys Uncle!

Quote Originally Posted by MobileHawk View Post
    I am so glad that I don't get the spam messages to my phone.
    The point of this is that none of the people I know have ever received a text message spam before today indicating its not a problem based on an action of one person but rather might be indicative of a bigger problem.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Report it to Verizon and ask for a refund of any charge for the message. They can take action against folks that abuse their messaging system, particularly when money is involved.

Trust me, they don't want the spam any more than you do - it'll be nothing but a headache.

Weird, I got 2-3 spam text messages for the first time ever today.

i got 2 spam msgs last night for the first time ever. andy my wifes phone got 2 msgs as well. mine were from lowland@earthlink.net and lop@myspace.com, both about stocks i should buy. Dam SPAM!

I have been getting spam for the past couple of weeks. To make it worse, it's really perverted spam! I'm always afraid someone is going to see one of the messages and thing that it's real! LOL

If you go to vtext.com you can block phone numbers and email addresses (I think). I did that and the spam seems to have stopped. It was all from the same number, so that made it easier.

Professional Phone User Thundaar's Avatar
    You think you got it bad....
    I got mms spam with pictures!!

Verizon is aware of the issue, there is a front-end message on the tech-support line....it also says that you will receive a credit for the messages used.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundaar View Post
    You think you got it bad....
    I got mms spam with pictures!!
    uhmm wow, you better forward them to me............lol

I also have gotten my first spam messages in the past few days. Really annoying. I have only gotten 2 or 3 though. Hopefully they will take care of the problem

just got one from javier@robbygordon.com and yes a text not an email.

Same here,
    i got 2 or 3, for the first time

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Some guy named Giovanni Ribisi just gave me a great stock tip and it's about to go through the roof! I have a great feeling about this one - much better than the one's I bought from the blast fax I got a few weeks ago. Must've just missed the timing on that one.

Anyway - i got a few the other day as well and called VZW right away. Found out a few folks had already called them in and they were taking care of it. They did say there would be a credit issued.

Oddly, I got an automated text from Verizon (supposedly) the day before all of the spam msgs and they told me I was close to exceeding my text usage. I checked my bill (and yes, the 2000 SMS PDA plan was still on there) and called the number in the text msg. They told me I didn't have ANY text messaging plan. What a bunch of smacked heinies.

Anyone else have that happen recently?

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

so are you saying the number you called was not verizon? or it was verizon and you got screwed out of your pda2000?

Well, it appears that it was Verizon and it was the 800 number that was sent in the text msg but when I called the guy didn't know his elbow from a hole in the ground (if u catch my drift). He kept insisting that I didn't have ANY text messaging plan but my online account clearly shows the limit and availability and my monthly statement clearly shows the SMS 2000 PDA text plan so I think it was just one more left hand/right hand VZW debacle.

I will certainly post if I do end up getting screwed out of my 2000 text msgs - you can be sure of that! But so far that doesn't appear to be the case. Just seeing if anyone else had a similar experience.

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAlbion View Post
    Report it to Verizon and ask for a refund of any charge for the message. They can take action against folks that abuse their messaging system, particularly when money is involved.

Trust me, they don't want the spam any more than you do - it'll be nothing but a headache.
    My wife, to whom text messages are still a mystery, got one on Dec. 9th, I complained to VZW and they wrote back that the charge would be removed and that they were working on the problem.

My guess is that someone figured out how to spam VZW's web text message page.
    Last edited by bigmikeg; 12-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.

My SPAM message was from parker@davidmlambert.com.

Last week to order before Christnas goto www.gimmistablbra.com.

And yes, it IS coming from the web according to customer service.

I got 4 the other day, too. I never get SMS (maybe 1/month at most) even from people I know, so it was weird to get 4 at once. I actually didn't know what the alarm was on my phone! Anyhow, nothing since.