+ Reply to Thread

just got my i760 and..

searched for some of these answers, couldn't find them, so I am asking. If I missed something, pls just point me to the thread..

1. Just FYI, while I could not find any phones at any VZW stores yesterday, it turns out Best Buy has them!

2. Question on battery indicator bar. Fully charged phone, or at least until light turned green. However, when I pull up the battery indicator, it says 100% on the right end, but the red bar is only about 60-70%? I would figure if it was 100%, the bar would go all the way to the right, if it was at say 62%, then shouldn't it say 62%?

3. Not sure if I have defective unit, but my screen flickers and dims while a)loading web pages, b) say sending a picture via mms. If I load a page, the screen dims, flickers, and when the page is pulled up, it is dimmer than normal (like it is in energy saving mode). If I touch the screen, it brightens. If i then wait about 10 secs, it dims again. Is this the correct mode?

4. Setting up OUtlook. I use outlook at work, connecting to my web hostings site pop. I synced outlook, so it downloaded 3 days of messages from my computer. However, this does not send and receive email via phone or wifi. It seems I need to create another account with my pop's settings. It would be nice if I didn't have to have another account, and could use my outlook on my phone to dial into my pop or get it via wifi. Am I missing something?

5. DUN options. I came from a treo 650, on which I ran a program called pdanet, that connected my treo to my computer via either a cable or bluetooth. Once I started this on my treo, my computer was then on the internet via my phone. What is the best way to do this on the samsund

6. Lastly, do i understand correctly that the cable that ships from vzw does NOT give me power, but only data? If so, I would believe there must be a cable that charges and supplies data, so if I leave my phone connected to my computer, it will be charging.

Thanks,
    Scott

Life's too short to use a bad phone JSM777's Avatar
    1) Yes - I noticed our phone is in Best Buy's Sunday flyer this week!
    2) Not sure about this one - I'm sure someone else will help with this.
    3) My phone works the same way - screen dims after a certain period of time - I believe this is a power saving feature. But... my phone does NOT flicker and dim when loading web pages or sending MMS or any of the other tasks you described.
    4) I believe you still have to set up Pocket Outlook with your POP email account settings to send and receive mail from the phone. So yes a second account. Syncing just moves data between your phone and your computer.
    5)PDAnet is still the way to go! The only other way to do this involves a additional monthly fee from Verizon.
    6) You are correct about the included cable. You can purchase a cable that does both sync and charge. I recommend you check out Pocket Solutions - I just purchased one from them and it's great.

Ok. Thanks for answers, new question:Set up POP account, not connecting, butnot sure I typed everything in correctly, but can't figure out how to get to account settings for the account I created! Where do I find the settings so I can go back and check them?!

3: This is dependent on how long you wait. If you wait about 10 seconds while a page is loading it will dim. Simply tap something to make it return to full brightness when the page is loaded
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

OK figured out how to change my email account, don't think I can set outlook for anything but sync to my computer, so have new pop account.

Still need to figure out how to tether phone to computer! Any help on this?

Life's too short to use a bad phone JSM777's Avatar
    As mentioned... PDAnet is still the way to go!

Yes, thanks. Use pdanet on treo, happy. just found a thread on pdanet vs dun etc. just have to know which keywords to search on clearly I didn't choose the correct one before!
    i760 as a Modem

fyi I have the same prob with my screen flickering on dim mode. someone on this forum told me it has to do with low signal but this is my second phone I broke my first and the first one didn't do it. im about to get a new one because of a battery drain issue and am ready to see if the screen flickers on it too. ill keep you informed.

3) You may have two different issues going on here from your description. The flicker issue, which has been documented. It sounds like you might also have your backlight set to turn off if device is not used for 10 seconds. To check go to Start --> Settings --> System Tab --> Backlight and after the "Turn off backlight if device is not used for" check box, select the time you would prefer. I use 1 min.

Thanks for all the help. What about the battery meter? I can't find anyone else complaining, but it seems wierd that it doesn't tell me how much % is remaining. I have to intrepret from how far the bar is from the end. I played with a 6800 and when its say at 63%, it says that, not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    ... What about the battery meter? I can't find anyone else complaining, but it seems wierd that it doesn't tell me how much % is remaining. I have to intrepret from how far the bar is from the end. I played with a 6800 and when its say at 63%, it says that, not 100%.
    Sure it does. Just touch the battery symbol with the stylus. It will tell you the %age remaining.

Edit: Sorry 'bout that. I thought it gave something other than 100%. But you're right. I see the poster below got a solution for you.
    Last edited by speedlever; 12-12-2007 at 06:14 PM.

I noticed the flicker when loading web pages with my first phone, which I exchanged for a new one because of the poor voice quality. The second one did not flicker, so I think it was a problem with the phone

2. key in #4357* It will give you the device info, one of which is the battery %.