+ Reply to Thread

i760 from Amazon without the data plan???

So I've been reading and from what I understand that you need to get some sort of data plan for this phone. I'm a college student with wifi all over the place and I really can't afford the data plan right now. Reading I saw that you can put that block on the phone but then if I understand correctly video and picture messages would get messed up.

Well here is the thing looking at amazon.com
    Amazon.com: Samsung i760 Black Phone (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Service

You can get the phone for $200 and if you choose a plan that does NOT have "Unlimited Messaging" when going to the next page you see this

As you can see there is no choice you must choose a data plan

BUT now if you choose a plan from the list that DOES have "Unlimited Messaging" you see this instead on the next page

As you can see there is NO MENTION at all of any data plan...

So I'm trying to figure out here what is going on, does this mean if you choose the "Unlimited Messaging" plan you can get this PDA phone WITH unlimited text, video, and picture messaging and NOT have a data plan???

Thanks for your help as I want to figure out if this is a mistake on Amazon's part or if it's actually correct.

I don't know where you get this "you need" a data plan.
    I have no data plan, phone works fine.

You don't!? Did you order it through verizon's website and can you receive text, picture, and video messages?? Because going through their website all the plans available for the phone have data on them. Which is what made me assume that a data plan is required.

Telesales will sell you a i760 w/o a data plan but you may pay a higher price for the phone up front. Also you will pay per KB of data sent/recieved if you do infact browse the web at all on the phone when your on 'no data plan'. When your not on a month to month data plan you pay as you go for data. Some users have a hard time preventing the phone from connecting to cellular data others do not. You can use the onboard wifi free of charge when your in range of wifi access.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by tange1 View Post
    Telesales will sell you a i760 w/o a data plan but you may pay a higher price for the phone up front. Also you will pay per KB of data sent/recieved if you do infact browse the web at all on the phone when your on 'no data plan'. When your not on a month to month data plan you pay as you go for data. Some users have a hard time preventing the phone from connecting to cellular data others do not. You can use the onboard wifi free of charge when your in range of wifi access.
    Yeah, all you have to do is have Verizon put a data block on your account and you don't have to worry about accessing their broadband connection. I also set the phone to not attempt to even use Verizon's data connection and I receive text messages fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sp00t View Post
    Yeah, all you have to do is have Verizon put a data block on your account and you don't have to worry about accessing their broadband connection. I also set the phone to not attempt to even use Verizon's data connection and I receive text messages fine.
    Can you receive picture and video messages too? And what plan do you have? Thanks.

It's the non-Voice and Data plan. Just regular voice plan with unlimited text messaging, so I dont have picture and video messaging included.

Noob
    On Amazon if you don't get a text messaging plan they make you sign up for the data plan. IE. if you sign up for the basic plan they also require you to get the data with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ontapbjt View Post
    On Amazon if you don't get a text messaging plan they make you sign up for the data plan. IE. if you sign up for the basic plan they also require you to get the data with it.
    Yeah but if you get the messaging plan without having a data plan the picture and video messages wont work right? So that really sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by Italianguy View Post
    Yeah but if you get the messaging plan without having a data plan the picture and video messages wont work right? So that really sucks..
    If you have no data plan you can still receive picture and vid messages w/o being charged for data (but will be charged per message unless you have a messaging package).

If you get a data block from verizon you can no longer receive video or picture messages.
    Thanks
    - Andrew - PDAPhoneHome.com

Unfortunately, I would have to disagree...with a pda, you can have unl data, then no charge for data transfer with pictures..however, with pay as you go, the kb still are charged, whether or not you have the text/pix/vid messaging bundle. Just to make sure that I was not mistaken and misinforming my customers, I did check with my regional vz manager and he did confirm that the pictures will be charged as data as well if you dont have the unl data.
    If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or email me on my personal account. nathan.burlison@gmail.com
    Also, please feel free to call me at my store anytime, (314) 291-8699. Just ask for me.

Nate