+ Reply to Thread

Best "TV" application

I got a TV program off handango called Handi TV. Its pretty and all but the programming is almost unwatchable due to buffering and skips. Nice idea but I don't know if the EVDO network can handle it. Is there a better solution out there? Wha appealed to me with this one was there was no subscription fee. I don't mind a slight fee if its actually usable. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Do a searchon slingbox in this forum and the i730 forum.
    I use the Sling Tuner and it works great.

Yea but that requires resources at home. I don't really want to do that if I can avoid it.

Any other suggestions besides slingbox?

Could always play around with Sprint TV right now thanks to the whole fact it is running for free.

Other than that, you could always look into MobiTV. I had it for a few months and the video played fairly well on it.

The buffering issue is the exact reason I popped on to the boards today...it seems to me I get buffering issues playing video from even my card...much more than ever before on my i730.

I haven't scoured the boards here yet, so if this is super common pls don't flame me. However wondered what other peoples experience is.

Could be due to the slower processor, possibly slower card? my prsonal software setup or do we need an autostep feature to bump up cpu clockspeed if its getting stuck low etc.

i760 just seems slower w/much more buffering in WMP or TCPMP. frankly it even has hard time keeping up w my typing...
    Last edited by h2oskierjb; 12-21-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Pretty Good Member
    I don't have any buffering problems with the free core payer and playing videos from my card or from YouTube or other sites. BTW, does the 760 really have a slower processor than the 730?

Another vote for Slingbox, especially if you have TiVo, but if you just want free, this recent thread has some links to a couple of sites with hundreds of free channels--some are good but most are crap or no longer functional on WMTV.

Streaming TV Feeds
    Last edited by robrecht; 12-21-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks for the report.

Orb is a poor man's slingbox, if you have a fast home computer. The old version 1.0 version even had a tivo plugin, don't know if they've added that to the updated version yet.

I also put a link to some streaming sites on the post you referenced above. YMMV.

I tried ORB and couldn't get any TV on my phone and all my saved shows wouldn't play either (error message said wrong format). Not to mention it made my computer slower than molassas in January! It was HORRIBLE!
    But, I know it was linking though because I could see photos and word/excel files that are stored in my computer.

(running Win XP Media Center on my desktop - only 6 months old - cable modem - tv tuner etc - lots of available memory - so, all the requirements were more than met)

What I really want is shows to keep my 3 year old amused when we're at a restaurant or something. (Disney Channel, Noggin, PBS Sprout) Nothing I've seen on the streaming tv thread would appeal to him (or me, for that matter - seems like it's all news stuff)

It took me 5 tries to get one of his BOZ cds to finally copy to the miniSD card and now I don't remember how I did it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Robin12265 View Post
    I tried ORB and couldn't get any TV on my phone and all my saved shows wouldn't play either (error message said wrong format). Not to mention it made my computer slower than molassas in January! It was HORRIBLE!
    But, I know it was linking though because I could see photos and word/excel files that are stored in my computer.

(running Win XP Media Center on my desktop - only 6 months old - cable modem - tv tuner etc - lots of available memory - so, all the requirements were more than met)

What I really want is shows to keep my 3 year old amused when we're at a restaurant or something. (Disney Channel, Noggin, PBS Sprout) Nothing I've seen on the streaming tv thread would appeal to him (or me, for that matter - seems like it's all news stuff)

It took me 5 tries to get one of his BOZ cds to finally copy to the miniSD card and now I don't remember how I did it! LOL
    Do a search for the Sprint TV hack as it is free and do know off hand it at least has Cartoon Network.

Funny that's why I use my video for also...to keep kids entertained when in a pinch. I've not had problems w/my pc (an OLD 5 or 6 yrs old, 500mb ram.) other than it used to cause buffering on my i730...I always assumed it was due to slow PC serving video. But I would stream saved videos of the shows above from Tivo and use on demand, when needed. Once I watched an episode of Proson Break while i was "driving" in 2 mph rush hour traffic. But other than occcasional buffering it seems ok.

Now everything seems to be causing buffering on my i760. Appears it's my config, & that I'll have to experiment on what programs are stable....

Well I am in the exact same situation with my three year old. Watching some of the childrens programming on the links in the other thread was an exercise in a) patience and b) absurdity. I was amazed that he spent 15 minutes watching some horrible Polish kids show all done with sock puppets before he looked at me and said he kid equivilent of WTF!?

I have a Media Center in the basement with a QAM tuner I would happily stream Noggin from if someone told me how.

try going to dvdhelp.com it's a big forum for converting video to different formats. I'm sure you could just convert some kids movies/shows to mp4 and put it on the sd card.

I rip complete movies from dvd to a 250 meg wmv file using DVD Catalyst, available on Handango, it works great. I don't have any buffering issues when playing a video file stored on trans flash card. I too have kids and this is the best solution because you don't need to have anything else turned on like WiFi, bluetooth or Broadband Access that kills your battery.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar

Robin, I know what you mean.

Take a look at the last two paragraphs.....that's me. lol......

USATODAY.com - Digital gizmos' abilities erupting

Pretty Good Member
    I used to read books to my 3- and 5-year-old at night, now we frequently end up watching Cayou and Spiderman videos, much to my wife's chagrin!

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I used to read books to my 3- and 5-year-old at night, now we frequently end up watching Cayou and Spiderman videos, much to my wife's chagrin!
    Books? What's that?

My son LOVES books, but it's not convienient to take them into a restaurant - and sure enough whatever one I grab won't be the one he wants...

I'll look at the DVD Catalyst as well.

Glad I'm not the only one using this to amuse my child! LOL (I kinda figured all of you were hardcore business people and would laugh at me... )

Funny about the reading comment, I've also taken the text from a few short stories that are classics in our family (edward lear's 'pobble who has no toes', 'the quangle wangle's hat', and 'the four little childen who went round the world', along with some others..all out of copyright & availble on the web) and put it on my phone.... I've found its easier to put young kids to bed in a dark room reading a backlit ebook. Microsoft Reader even has a free plugin to convert word doc's to .lit files that have embedded graphics.
    Another bonus is my phone plays 'Smart Symphonies' in the background, a cd of nighttime music I ripped to mp3...or a generic white noise mp3 I have. Ok am I sufficiently off topic? But these phones are a HUGE help with kids.

To get back to topic, Tivo, which I use (or bittorrent if you don't have a dvr) & 4gb cards may be the best TV app as mentiond before as its more reliable & may be better on battery life.

These phones rock.
    Last edited by h2oskierjb; 12-22-2007 at 03:02 PM.